Shite Things About Modern Gaming

NorthernLights

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Surely somewhere sells used games?

I have this (bought for a tenner) but I never really understood it.

It's a shanner version of fallout 3/4 where for no good reason there are other players running about instead of the usual solo jaunts. 

Trash. 

On 05/02/2022 at 19:30, Clown Job said:

Games being released that are not finished 

You still used to get that back in Ye Olden Days, mainly for home computers, and there was zero chance of anything being patched. If Jet Set Willy came out with bugs that made completing it impossible, tough shit. Publishers just served up whatever they were sent by whichever schoolboy they'd paid a few quid, and the attitude seemed to be that if you got a few hours' entertainment out of the game, you'd nothing to complain about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2022 at 16:47, itzdrk said:

It's a shanner version of fallout 3/4 where for no good reason there are other players running about instead of the usual solo jaunts. 

Trash. 

The Fallout games have been my favourite series since Fallout 3 was released but Fallout 76 has probably been the biggest disappointment in gaming history. Such a poor game on release. Not sure what it's like now since its been patched and updated to f*ck. I've not played it for about 2 years.

DLC in general. Don't get me wrong sometimes it can be good and I wouldn't mind if it came out afterwards due to high demand rather than games that come out with scheduled DLC, this used to be especially frustrating on online shooter games with new maps. Also AC Valhalla has already had 2 extensions that cost an additional £40 combined and now they're releasing another that's about £30 so if you wanted to play every bit of the game you're looking at spending roughly £120 which by anybodies standards is ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Single player games which are required to be "always online".

@Ron Aldo

Mind when EA brought out that shite Sim City game that was "impossible" to play offline, only for hackers to download the files from their servers and release a standalone pirate version?  :lol:

It's always just been another form of DRM.

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

Mind when EA brought out that shite Sim City game that was "impossible" to play offline, only for hackers to download the files from their servers and release a standalone pirate version?  :lol:

It's always just been another form of DRM.

The even better wrinkle to that story was that they hadn't imagined that an incredibly popular title needing to always be online miiiiiight just lead to the servers doing their best Ticketmaster impression and completely shitting the bed.  Not only were they completely at it with their claims of it being impossible to do any other way, they actually made it impossible to do it that way instead.  Magnificent work.

As we're close to this already, add Games as a Service to this list.

If the price is fair, Software as a Service makes sense to users in some areas, like businesses who are going to be continually updating their offices suites anyway. It's shite for most games, and only benefits the publishers. If they get their way, you won't be getting to go back and enjoy old games, as they won't exist anymore, and you never owned them in the first place. It's in the publishers' interests to make sure you can't play them so that you'll move on to their latest microtransaction-ridden, pay-to-win atrocity that once could've been an enjoyable title.

I don't think it'll pan out as a universal trend in the long term, thankfully, but they'll give it a bloody good go.

Whales in general. Saw a post on Reddit about the fact that Elden Ring was 'too cheap' and that the game should have been more expensive for a AAA title and felt like they'd underpaid. What's that about? 

At a last look I think ER shipped about 12 million copies and probably most of that digitally. I dunno about the price differences across platforms but at 40 quid a pop I make that a gross of £480M before all the fees etc. It'll be one of the highest grossing games of all time. I think they'll be fine. 

Someone else on the thread complained about the game being too big as well, so wanting less game for their money. 

This is why a lot of the time we can't have nice things. 

Edited by GiGi

On 22/03/2022 at 17:41, GiGi said:

Whales in general. Saw a post on Reddit about the fact that Elden Ring was 'too cheap' and that the game should have been more expensive for a AAA title and felt like they'd underpaid. What's that about? 

At a last look I think ER shipped about 12 million copies and probably most of that digitally. I dunno about the price differences across platforms but at 40 quid a pop I make that a gross of £480M before all the fees etc. It'll be one of the highest grossing games of all time. I think they'll be fine. 

Someone else on the thread complained about the game being too big as well, so wanting less game for their money. 

This is why a lot of the time we can't have nice things. 

40 quid a pop? Surely its at least 60 for launch day which would have sold absolute bucketloads

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

40 quid a pop? Surely its at least 60 for launch day which would have sold absolute bucketloads

I got it on launch day for 30 odd quid. Might be cheaper in other countries as well. 

I reckon it sold more copies on console but PC keys will have been available for less. 

• 3 weeks later...

Everything being a bloody sandbox at the moment. 

I get rpg games with this as it makes the game world feel immersive with plenty of additional quests (unless it involves settlements needing my help constantly.. Preston) but I have just finished halo infinite, its a fps but outside the initial start of the game and the end part of the game, its a giant bloody sandbox. 

Not exactly a modern thing considering it's GTA5 but the fact every mission revolves around selling stuff in lobbies of 30 people with flying cars and homing missiles it's just impossible to get anything done. I used to have shit Internet so could do something that gave me solo lobbies but PS5 and fibre have rendered this impossible. 

Not having a physical box and especially a manual, yeah eventually it can be annoying having things take up space and it's probably just part of childhood nostalgia getting a new game and reading the manual in the car on the way home but it just never feels quite the same downloading games.

18 minutes ago, ConcernedReferee said:

Not having a physical box and especially a manual, yeah eventually it can be annoying having things take up space and it's probably just part of childhood nostalgia getting a new game and reading the manual in the car on the way home but it just never feels quite the same downloading games.

Totally agreed. Some amount of time spent examined the covers and manual was a huge part of the anticipation of any game.