The 1997 thread

ICTChris

5 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Be Here Now was pretty good imo

I remember watching TFI Friday. The album had been out for a couple of weeks and sales were high, but people were starting to say that it wasn't as good as the earlier albums. 

Chris Evans did a bit on the show pretending to be a doctor, using a stethoscope to examine the album and declaring it dead. After that, I think folk stopped buying it. 

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Who was the auld soak that inexplicably had a twice-weekly column in the Record solely about his exploits in getting hammered. Bob Shields?

Sounds about right.  

I used to hate the Daily Record, it was utter fucking shite, even as a tabloid newspaper.  Just dreadful.

Turned 15 in April of that year. Spent most weekends getting pished on cheap cider on a Friday, going to the football on a Saturday afternoon, and playing snooker with my dad on a Saturday evening. Also started gigging regularly. Song 2 and Paranoid Android the two best songs of the year for me, and Bagsy Me by The Wannadies probably my favourite album at the time, though OK Computer would probably be my answer nowadays. From many a perspective it's probably the one year I would go back to more than any other.

I was 14/15 in 97.  Got served in a pub for the first time.  Saw Marilyn Manson at the Barrowlands which was a bit of an eye opener.

Saw Skunk Anansie earlier in the year too.  Stereophonics opened up for them - they were shite then and shite now.

3 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

I turned 11 in 1997 and remember virtually nothing about it other than going to Loudon Castle with the school and one of my friends spewing his load seconds after coming off one of the rollercoasters. 

One of my friends spewed all over the school bus on the way to the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988. About 2 minutes after leaving the school. It was running up and down the aisle and was making us all feel ill.

I know, I know. 1988 thread for this pish. 

I remember it vividly! Some things which came immediately to mind (dates with the help of Google!):

Hogmanay 96 - the first seconds of 1997 saw me hopelessly separated from my pals, and caught up in the massive Princes St crush at the Mound. Over 300,000 people attended what was the last ticketless Hogmanay. It was very different to what passes for Hogmanay now, absolutely punk/drunk festival in comparison to the Instagram moment the modern thing has become. Pretty scary looking back. Was fun at the time.

2 March 1997 - Mansun supported by Travis at The Venue. Could pick probably dozens of gigs at that place in that very year, but this one stands out as the absolute peak. Mansun were a superb live band, and Travis were raw and raucous (at least back in their early days).

2 April 1997 - Scotland 2 Austria 0, Celtic Park. Went to most and perhaps all of the France 1998 home qualifiers. This night was up there with my favourite Scotland games ever. (Closely followed by Scotland beating Latvia to qualify 11/10/97; and Scotland beating Estonia at Rugby Park 29/03/97).

24 May 1997 - Killie win the Scottish Cup. Mentioned by others here. I went through on the Killie supporters bus from Mauchline. Massive day for my Dad, a huge Killie fan. A trip to the rugby sevens at Commonwealth Games besides, my last trip to that bloody place in Govan too.

12 July 1997 - TITP, Year 1 at Balado. Many fond memories here, but I'll go with The Longpigs in a packed King Tuts tent on the Saturday night as my moment.

19 August 1997 - Mogwai at the Jaffa Cake. The first Mogwai gig I went to, possibly. I've seen them more than any other band in the 25 years since, and I've already got one gig lined up for 2022.

31 August 1997 - Teenage Fanclub at the Jaffa Cake. The hottest gig ever. Absolutely packed. Epic. Prince Diana died that night.

2 September 1997 - as the nation mourned Diana, I scandalously attended U2 at Murrayfield and drew the ire of the tabloid press. The Pop Mart tour was gloriously understated - giant glitter balls, ludicrous stage etc. Not really a stadium show kind of person, but this was wonderful.

That lot besides, I was in first year going into second year at Uni, and I will have definitely spent every Friday night with my pals in Smith's Bar playing pool and feeding the jukebox. All converging on there after watching TFI Friday at a pals house with a carry out.

I'm not sure life will get better for me than 1997, but I did it in some form of style hopefully!

Had a look at a list of games from that year/time, catching my eye are Age of Empires, Goldeneye 007 (had me intrigued early on, fell in love with it the exact moment i murdered that guy on the toilet pan, iirc thats the second level), Final Fantasy 7 and the very first Gta. Also thought c&c red alert was that time but seemingly 1996. Would have been a christmas present i think, so mainly played in 97.

More generally - playstation vs. N64 was a hyped console war ongoing at the time, sony won thanks to cd's being more popular for devs than the cartridges nintendo still used for anti-piracy. Our SNES still saw a fair amount of play in the 90s with a great back catalogue, yoshis island was a brilliant wee game. PC gaming had Dungeon Keeper come out in that year too.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Oldest son was born on 3rd May 1997.

Later that year my mum phoned to tell me Diana had died in a car crash. I said oh & put the phone down and tried to go back to sleep. My now ex-wife went raj when she asked me what the call was about & jumped up to put the tv on. Seem to remember we got an extra holiday for the funeral