Hibs vs Hearts 2022-02-02: The (Chinese) New Year derby

18 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Worth saying that, if it does happen, we'd have a Europa League play-off first, potentially playing a big club. Lose and we'd be in the ECL group stage which did include some big names this season (including Spurs).

Yep, was going for worst case scenario. Definitely great to have a big play off game too though. Europa League groups would be phenomenal, but even a big tie before the conference groups would be quite exciting.

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Besides if you take the reductive "Getting to Europe league playoff is pointless because you'll never get to the group stage" approach then everything is pointless because  by that logic getting to the Europa League Group Stages is pointless if you're not getting to the knockout rounds after that and getting to the knockout rounds is pointless unless you get to the later rounds which are pointless unless you get to the final and getting to the final is pointless unless you win it and even if you win it, it's not the Champions League and even if you win the Champions League Real Madrid still have 9 more wins than you.

With that attitude it's hardly worth Kelty Hearts bothering with promotion.

I want Hearts to finish in the top 3 principally for it's own sake. 

Totally agree, and I like the fact that the club thinks your way too. Not bothered about the poo-pooing from outside, purely for having high ambitions.

5 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Totally agree, and I like the fact that the club thinks your way too. Not bothered about the poo-pooing from outside, purely for having high ambitions.

Having said that, if UEFA is going to insist on parachuting in lumps of cash that will further distort medium sized leagues like ours then I'd obviously rather it ended up distorted in our favour

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Having said that, if UEFA is going to insist on parachuting in lumps of cash that will further distort medium sized leagues like ours then I'd obviously rather it ended up distorted in our favour

Aye, we didn't start the fire, Billy.

21 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Sorry chaps - just want to interrupt the conversation briefly to point out the words highlighted in bold, above. 

I'm no expert. But I'm pretty sure what you meant was 'pooh-poohing'. What you've actually gone and done is suggest that real, physical excrement is involved in the general denigration from 'outside'. Unless @8MileBU was involved, I don't think this is what you intended.

Ok, as you were. 

3 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Sorry chaps - just want to interrupt the conversation briefly to point out the words highlighted in bold, above. 

I'm no expert. But I'm pretty sure what you meant was 'pooh-poohing'. What you've actually gone and done is suggest that real, physical excrement is involved in the general denigration from 'outside'. Unless @8MileBU was involved, I don't think this is what you intended.

Ok, as you were. 

It was indeed. Many thanks. :D 

Any Hearts fans in the queues when what looked to be a Rangers fan with a Union Jack flag got turfed out of the line by the police?

He was posing for photos with other Hearts and Hibs in the street as he sauntered off into the night.

37 minutes ago, RiG said:

Any Hearts fans in the queues when what looked to be a Rangers fan with a Union Jack flag got turfed out of the line by the police?

He was posing for photos with other Hearts and Hibs in the street as he sauntered off into the night.

No...

..but on the subject of Queues

Does the North Stand only have an inadequate 8 automatic turnstiles like the south stand?

It's a twice yearly annoyance for me but it would start to really piss me off if I were putting up with it on a weekly basis

57 minutes ago, RiG said:

Abdul the Rangers supporter. A man with mental issues who goes to games with the sole intention of trying to become a local oddball celebrity. He is encouraged by what I can only assume is his publicist, who films his exploits. There is a video of Hearts and Hibs supporters telling him to f**k off last night. He came in to the 1874 earlier in the season giving it all that pish, and approached me at a table near the door. He was given short shrift on that occasion also. I feel as though people shouldn't be encouraging him tbh. I said as much to the arsehole that follows him around filming him.

Edited by Kyle Reese

10 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Abdul the Rangers supporter. I man with mental issues who goes to games with the sole intention of trying to become a local oddball celebrity. He is encouraged by what I can only assume is his publicist, who films his exploits. There is a video of Hearts and Hibs supporters telling him to f**k off last night. He came in to the 1874 earlier in the season giving it all that pish, and approached me at a table near the door. He was given short shrift on that occasion also. I feel as though people shouldn't be encouraging him tbh. I said as much to the arsehole that follows him around filming him.

Cheers. just Googled him and that's definitely the dude I could see last night. 

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

No...

Does the North Stand only have an inadequate 8 automatic turnstiles like the south stand?

It's a twice yearly annoyance for me but it would start to really piss me off if I were putting up with it on a weekly basis

The Famous Five has 8 plus two accessible.

But that is a family stand, and slightly smaller (due to the road etc) so I dont think suffers the same issues.

I dont disagree on the general principle, and its something we say every single time we are at your place too.

This was my first Edinburgh derby.
Really enjoyed the atmosphere (from both sets of fans) and thought the game was decent for a 0-0.
Hearts should've had a penalty in the first half, although I wasn't convinced until I had seen a replay later on so I don't blame the ref too much for not giving it.
Easter Road is my favourite of the 36 I've visited so far this season, a great place to take in a game.
Incredibly, I've seen Hearts play 18 times spanning 21 years and I've yet to see them win a game.

I write about all my groundhopping adventures, feel free to give it a wee read if you can

https://groundhopscot.wordpress.com/2022/02/02/club-36-279-hibernian/

Hibs 1.jpeg

Edited by GroundhopScot

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's been a great week. We've come out very nicely from a wee run where Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell all played each other and we had Celtic.

Yeah, by the end of the weekend we'll be a minimum of 7 points clear, having played all of our pre-split games against Celtic and Rangers (Motherwell will still have Rangers away, Hibs and Aberdeen will still have both). We'll also only have two games left against the current top 6, both at home.

This run of games was probably the best chance for Hibs/Motherwell/Aberdeen to start closing the gap but it hasn't materialised. If we can pick up another 4 or 5 wins before the split then we should be home and dry by then.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

No...

Twice 😂 the next derby after March will involve a team west of gorgie who plays in yellow/black😉

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Cheers. just Googled him and that's definitely the dude I could see last night. 

This guy comes into the Lioness on Duke St on occasion (at least he used to) and sits and mumbles to himself and then leaves without ordering anything. Always felt a bit sorry for him. 

If there's someone following him about encouraging him to do what's bin described in this thread they need a phucking slap !

Aye, it's a bit tragic how he is encouraged and treated. He gets egged on by morons who take advantage of his obvious challenges in the name of entertainment. That's not to say that he is an innocent party, but he is certainly manipulated to an extent.

He actually ended up getting attacked down in London during the Euros by a fellow Scotland fan. Just highlights how much damage he and other people are doing to him.

Got to be embarrassed not beating a team with Andy Halliday in the starting line up. Felt we played the better footballl and should have won. Hearts were poor and far from the world beaters they have been made out to be. Hopeful balls and no real intent. Did the Billy Boy's renditions come over clear on the tele as it did at the ground? Well done to all the Hibs supporters trying to drown out that abomination with boos. They really are 'Diets' in every sense of the word.