Friday night Top of the Table clash

Just now, BFTD said:

You might want to do a bit of research on this.

If I’m wrong I have no idea and will hold my hands up but I have never ever once thought it had anything to do with travelling people

Never even heard anyone say that until today 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If I’m wrong I have no idea and will hold my hands up but I have never ever once thought it had anything to do with travelling people

You've done well to avoid the tinker & mink wars on here. So many good posters lost.

(possible exaggeration, there)

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Whilst "tinky" is obviously derived from the old definition of "tinker" (a person who makes a living by travelling from place to place mending pans and other metal utensils), the modern usage of "tinky b*****ds" is that set out in the Urban Dictionary

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tinky b*****d

Just substitute the reference to Glasgow with Montrose, and you have your typical Gable Endie 😛

Is "mink" still okay to use, but the way?

Tink was the go to insult when I was at primary school and it was used in reference to poor people who made a living going round selling scrap and other discarded bric-a-brac. We used to get them at our door a fair bit. (My mother used to simply refer to such people as "Irish".)

It was a great insult from a phonemical point of view as it has identical consonant sounds to c**t.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Last time it came up on here, it also turned out to be an ethnic slur. Folk were posting links to very serious places and all sorts. What a time it was.

Last time it came up on here, it also turned out to be an ethnic slur. Folk were posting links to very serious places and all sorts. What a time it was.
I remember well, I dropped out of those conversations pretty quickly. I always assumed mink was a reference to the mustelid and its accompanying stench.

6 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
34 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I remember well, I dropped out of those conversations pretty quickly. I always assumed mink was a reference to the mustelid and its accompanying stench.

I thought that too. What is a mink? I’ll need to do some research. Heard of the animal obviously.

edit: couldn’t see anything about mink but saw something about the word picnic having racist origins! Had to go to Snopes to check. Reee-jected.

Edited by Scary Bear

Various folk had links to it being established as an alt of tink, as I recall.

f**k knows why I'm trying to explain this - maybe worth starting an ethnic slur thread to sort this stuff out. Can't see that going badly.

Various folk had links to it being established as an alt of tink, as I recall.
f**k knows why I'm trying to explain this - maybe worth starting an ethnic slur thread to sort this stuff out. Can't see that going badly.

Please do start an ethnic slur thread and go away.

TASC SOCIAL MEDIA MAN OF THE MATCH - RESULT

Congratulations to Thomas O’Brien on winning the TASC Social Media Man of the Match for his performance in the Lichties 1-0 win over Kilmarnock last night. Captain fantastic was absolutely immense at the back as were the rest of the back line. Let’s be honest though this award could have went to any player in maroon. A total team performance! 4 points clear baby!!!!!

D8CAFFC4-FC9E-41FD-B1C5-FDFD6A922A1B.jpeg

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s tinky b*****ds? How’s that a slur relating to travelling people? 

Check out the word Tink (travelling person) and place this together with the word b*****d. 

Think about if you had used the P or F word instead of the T word. 

Just respect those of a different cultural/ ethnic background. It shouldn't be difficult. 

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Tink was the go to insult when I was at primary school and it was used in reference to poor people who made a living going round selling scrap and other discarded bric-a-brac. We used to get them at our door a fair bit. (My mother used to simply refer to such people as "Irish".)

It was a great insult from a phonemical point of view as it has identical consonant sounds to c**t.

👍Words are funny 😂😂

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Some folk have lost it. Imagine wanting the team you claim to support to drop points so someone else can win the league.

I think it bodes well for society, people looking beyond their libidinal group-thinking and realizing there’s a bigger picture.
If little old part-time-windy-stadium-closest-to-the-sea Arbroath can achieve back to back promotions to the Premiership, maybe there’s hope for other wee teams to move off the rail-tracks the money men like to set out for everyone.

There’s a reason Hollywood keeps churning out underdog movies and we keep eating them up.

Edited by Luddite