Raith v Queens

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick somewhere, I've heard it mentioned a few times as part of the fallout since Monday.

Aye it seems you’re right, that’s news to me. It has never even been referenced, as far as I am aware, when she was appointed or in any of her interviews. Thanks for mentioning it, definitely changes my perspective on her culpability. 

Edited by R.R.FC

17 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

She is in a very difficult position tbf. She wouldn’t have had a say in the vote to sign Goodwillie, I’m not even convinced she would have been seriously consulted. The people responsible are: John McGlynn and looking at the directors page, those who voted in favour would be John Sim, Dave Sinton, Tom Morgan and Steven MacDonald.

She is different to a lot others in that she is in a paid position by the club. She may well be strongly opposed and I would expect she is severely pissed off about being left to deal with the shitstorm which is not of her own doing. However, when you have a mortgage and bills to pay, it is very difficult to walk away from a job that is probably quite well paid. I wouldn’t be surprised if she is looking for work elsewhere before rendering her resignation but I have no inside information on that.

I think Karen Macartney has always had more of an operational role than you might expect from a CEO at this level. All the talk when she was appointed was about strengthening ties in the community, building off-field infrastructure, and the likes. 

If you look at the initial announcement and her interview in the Courier there's very little about on the field matters. The impression I had at the time was that Karen Macartney would be there to run the wider Raith Rovers "organisation" but that the actual first team would still be reserved to the board. 

I've no idea what input she had on this Goodwillie process. She could be totally for it or dead against it, but she didn't have a vote when it came to the crunch. 

As you say, she's a paid employee. It's not as straightforward as just walking out like it is for volunteers or board members who've made their money elsewhere, but like it or not, she does have a responsibility to comment here. 

I don't want to be all Humza Yousaf and it feels very regressive to keep on focusing on what "the wummin" think about it all, but like it or not Karen Macartney is the CEO of an organisation that's made an incredibly contentious decision, and she's on record (in the interview above) extolling her own virtues as a woman in football. 

4 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Also would not be a surprise if you (and other clubs) thought about signing him, and then somebody at the club knew that be a very bad idea and not worth the problems that would come later. Unlike Raith.

Our Board, much like Raith's, don't seem to take much heed of supporters feelings so nothing would surprise me. 

https://t.co/SHFQ0RY5gM

Val now stating few weeks ago she was told categorically that’s someone we shouldn’t be signing to then next find out “she” is negotiating his transfer.

Can only assume she’s referring to McCartney.

Edited by RaithRyan

14 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I genuinely think, at this current moment, this is their plan.

It seems it. They're hoping his goals are the difference between going up and not going up. If they go up they'll be financially fine, plus they'll get higher crowds due to Premiership hingers-on.

Another ploy they might try is to say that ultimately, the Board do not involve themselves in recruitment, as to do so would set an unwelcome precedent.

Their involvement was to sanction the salary for a player that McGlynn wanted, and that Goodwillie was the player he wanted.

Of course, the Board (I presume) lobbed in that he had played for them before, and so he was considered to be “a part of Raith Rovers FC”. In so doing, they have stated that their desire to be associated with him is never ending. Just incredible.

Just so Mr McGlynn knows……no, Dr Who isn’t real, and no, he can’t hire the Tardis to take him back 48 hours.

3 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

emoji849.png. Because maybe just maybe they love playing football and agree with us all that there is no reason to victimise them or have the stigma of the club. If you don't understand that then emoji2369.png

As already explained, I was referring to why Raith Rovers feel Goodwillie is worth the hassle.

I thought that was patently obvious but apologies if there was any confusion.

5 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

https://t.co/SHFQ0RY5gM

Val now stating few weeks ago she was told categorically that’s someone we shouldn’t be signing to then next find out “she” is negotiating his transfer.

Can only assume she’s referring to McCartney.

Here's the relevant quote, in case it gets paywalled

[Val McDermid] said: "When the subject first came up in local newspapers, I raised it with a board member last time I was at a game.

"The chief executive of Raith Rovers looked me straight in the eye and said, ‘The club has no interest in Goodwillie whatsover. I agree with you, we shouldn’t sign someone like that.’

"Next thing I know, she’s negotiating his transfer so that’s the kind of people we are dealing with here.”

McCartney escaped a lot of the flak yesterday but after reading that article she has to go as well. Lying to the main sponsor like that isn't acceptable and having been previously unaware of it, her role as Chief Executive, even with no voting rights, has a pretty clear conflict of interest. 

11 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
1 hour ago, renton said:
And you just know that Sim's response to this would be 'barely anyone watches it, doesn't matter'

Well let's distribute some of the fans cash into eloping them move onwards and upwards. I know they don't play on a Saturday afternoon but it's football worth watching.

Is that meant to be "helping"? (Not one of my usual smart alecy posts, honest!)

55 minutes ago, Darkness78 said:

Goodwillie would expect his 2 and a half year contract to be paid up in full to see him through to retirement. 
After the furore yesterday no other club will employ him again.

And that is on Sim and the Board