Raith v Queens

5 minutes ago, Wotsit said:

Disclosures are based on the balance of probability and have a lower bar for evidence than a civil court. A person can be barred from doing protected jobs if there are two or more employer reports made which establish a pattern of behaviour in the view of Disclosure Scotland. A civil court unambiguously declaring somebody a rapist, along with two criminal convictions for assault, would almost definitely disbar him from nearly all jobs where he can work with or influence protected groups. He wouldn't, and shouldn't, even be trusted to drive a taxi.

Most people see contrition as the first step in rehabilitation and DG has shown none,

Mainly to the point that he's been guilty of assaults and by way of that you could exclude him from football - you'd imagine he's paid whatever debt that incurs to society as ruled by the court. 

Look at Ronaldo as an example who was accused and paid off his victim. That's very dodgy.

Like I said as a case by case basis I think it needs considered (this one feels immoral and is quite easy but I'm sure there are others that are very, very difficult)

8 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Apologies if this has been asked but where do the other players stand if they're not happy to be playing in the same team as Goodwillie? Other than the female teams captain there's not been much else said from the playing staff - are they powerless in this? I wouldn't imagine a lot of them are in a position to be able to just walk away from their contracts even if they wanted to but surely some of them are less than happy about this?

5 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Not sure what you want them to do. Most of them are just mercenaries who rely on the club giving them a wage to get by. I'd imagine none of them can afford to walk away from that, and given they'll stay it wouldn't do them any good to piss off their teammates and manager and cause a rift in the dressing room.

2 minutes ago, Welly boy said:

What is disappointing is that no-one from the 1st team has taken a stand on this.

Don't think it's difficult to say 'I don't want to share a dressing room with a rapist.🤔

I mentioned in a previous thread re. clubs having contract clauses relating to "club reputation / bringing club into disrepute". Does anyone know if players have similar in their contracts i.e. if they feel that their  reputation is being damaged by the club signing a particular player ?

2 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

To be fair i'm not really sure what i'd expect them to do. I just know that if my wife knew i was working with someone like Goodwillie (not that my employer would have him as an employee) and i was essentially being asked to support and help him in being successful then she'd be looking for me to move jobs sharpish - but i'm sure that's much easier for me to do than a professional footballer whose only option may be to move for less cash or even go part time......

Bear in mind also that they cannot find a new job until the end of the season (Raith would have to agree to release them). The cynic in me actually wondered if this news only dropped at 1030pm so that any pissed off team mates didn’t have time to find a new club before the deadline.

15 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Apologies if this has been asked but where do the other players stand if they're not happy to be playing in the same team as Goodwillie? Other than the female teams captain there's not been much else said from the playing staff - are they powerless in this? I wouldn't imagine a lot of them are in a position to be able to just walk away from their contracts even if they wanted to but surely some of them are less than happy about this?

More or less powerless until the summer now. They could, in theory,  walk away but they'd be giving up on any wages until the summer and since a lot of them are under contract for much longer, the Rovers could still control their registration unless another team paid them a fee.

Not sure what the rovers keeper was doing at the third goal. Dreadful

To be fair to Macdonald, it does swerve at as it’s travelling through the air. He thought it was coming straight at him, then it changes direction. Some strike though.

Aye this. It quite clearly swerves infront of him. Nothing he could do about that strike.

This is just like the Queens thread last year after Galloways attendance. No matter how much I seem to read, I never catch up. 
Btw really sorry for all that's happening to you fans , not deserved, imbecile decision makers. 

This one feels a lot worse. I thought the Galloway thing fizzled out pretty quickly and only really sparked again when our idiotic BoD issued a shite statement similar to Raith's effectively saying 'Deal with it'. I didn't think another BoD could be so far away from the fans as ours but it's been a right 'Hold my beer' move from Raith's.

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/02/football/david-goodwillie-raith-rovers-spt-intl/index.html

The humiliation has gone global. 

My fear is that this is going to be picked up by Fox News and Tucker Carlson is going to have Raith Rovers front and centre of a cancel culture "debate". 

Oh christ this is just going from worse to nightmare

Disagree, publicly boot him out the club sack a few board members, staff and issue an apology for the action of a few individuals and we go from Wanks to Good guys. This has to be done ASAP though to minimise the damage. 

I still don’t think that solves the problem. Whether you agree or not, Raith Rovers will, for at least a number of years, be known as the club who signed a rapist and cause this fallout.

Whilst I completely agree that everyone who made the decision, stood by it or allowed it to happen should be punted firmly into the nearest sea, the image of the club remains the same until the people who eventually take over make overtly significant changes to that through a number of ways.

I really hope you do, too. I want to hate Raith Rovers because you’re from Kirkcaldy and I’m from a nearby town, not because you signed a rapist.

8 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Nobody is saying he shouldn't be allowed to work ever again. I don't think anyone had any issue with him being a DPD delivery man. But being a professional footballer isn't just any job. It's a prominent publicly facing job that pays well. It is a privilege at the end of the day & if you can't meet a basic standard of decency (& not committing rape is a pretty low bar) then tough shite.

A lot of the discourse focusing on DG as someone who needs to earn a living also loses sight of victims of sexual violence also needing to live their lives. I saw a post from a woman on social media today who is herself a victim of rape and is a Rovers season ticket holder. Depressingly, we are in a society where we can assume a fair few women who go to games have also been subjected to some form of sexual violence. This leads to a situation where women who have often gone through traumatic experiences can't even go to the game without facing someone who is a known and (in Scottish football terms) high-profile rapist, and who has the blessing of the club to appear as a footballer as one of their representatives. The sort of message this sends to victims, that it's fine to commit such acts as long as you're a good footballer, is appalling - not before we even consider that DG is entirely unrepentant. As forkboy rightly notes, this is not something people have to face if DG is a delivery man, roofer, or whatever have you.

15 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Not sure what you want them to do. Most of them are just mercenaries who rely on the club giving them a wage to get by. I'd imagine none of them can afford to walk away from that, and given they'll stay it wouldn't do them any good to piss off their teammates and manager and cause a rift in the dressing room.

I wonder if any players who did make a stand would also be marked as troublemakers or grasses by other clubs/players/managers for not standing with there teammates. Not that they should, but you wonder what actually in the game think.

4 minutes ago, true_rover said:

More or less powerless until the summer now. They could, in theory,  walk away but they'd be giving up on any wages until the summer and since a lot of them are under contract for much longer, the Rovers could still control their registration unless another team paid them a fee.

They don't have to leave they just need to down tools and say they're not playing with a rapist in the team. Hardly think they would punt the whole team just to keep that piece of sh*t.

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

How come

He got a retrial on the basis his defence team said the bird was promiscuous 

Evans has not been found guilty in a Civil or Criminal court. Would I still want him at the club? No but there is a difference 

Edited by RRPT