2022 NFL Draft

lichtie23

I tend to become a but obsessed with it, even though I watch no College Football, so have to go on what I read about the players.

Currently liking the idea of the Bears drafting either CB Roger McCreary (maybe Kyler Gordon at a push) or G Zion Johnson in the second round. OT Raimann might be an option too.

Hoping we wait until at least round 3 for a WR. Maybe someone like Pickens (probably gone by then), Calvin Austin, or Skyy Moore.

22 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Was delighted when the Bills drafted Rachad Wildgoose Jr last year in the late rounds as you might as well just pick the guys with the funniest names by that stage and hope they're good (he ended up at the Jets I think so probably not in his case) 

Sauce Gardner is the standout name I have come across so far.

I think the draft is the most overhyped and overly dissected part of the NFL process, unless your team is picking in the top 5 and / or needing a QB, there's not much point in getting excited about it. 
Was delighted when the Bills drafted Rachad Wildgoose Jr last year in the late rounds as you might as well just pick the guys with the funniest names by that stage and hope they're good (he ended up at the Jets I think so probably not in his case) 
I'm interested to see where Matt Araiza gets taken. I'm always against taking a punter in the draft, but this guy's highlights are pretty impressive. I'm sure there will be worse picks in the 3rd or 4th round.

10 hours ago, magic sign said:

I'm interested to see where Matt Araiza gets taken. I'm always against taking a punter in the draft, but this guy's highlights are pretty impressive. I'm sure there will be worse picks in the 3rd or 4th round.

The Chargers have been mediocre at punter for years since Scifres retired. As much as they have holes all over the D they need to fill, Araiza is a piece I'd be happy with them spending a 4th or 5th on if he's still sitting there. Everyone remembers the game where Scifres basically beat the Colts single-handed by booming 75 yard punts and repeatedly pinning them against their own goal line, but that wasn't a one-off. There was usually one game per season at least where the Chargers completely dominated the starting position battle and won because of MS's punting. It's a hideously under-appreciated part of the game because punting is regarded as a failure of Offense and 95% of NFL punters are pretty much of a muchness, but if you have one of the real elite guys it can make a huge difference in tight games. 

I'm curious to see what happens with Araiza in the NFL because punting in the Pros is a slightly different beast. He won't be able to walk into his kicks as easily, and although he gets great distance his hang-times aren't what NFL coaches will expect, so there's a lot of work to be done and adjustments to be made, but it's obvious he has a leg to work with. I doubt he'll be allowed to chase down his own kicks quite so enthusiastically either, but everyone is a bit bigger and faster in the NFL anyway, so I doubt he'll be as keen to begin with. It's a great attitude though, exactly what Darren Bennett was like. It was great the Chargers let Bennett mentor Scifres for a year and you really saw the benefit of that with Scifres picking up and adopting Bennett's unconventional technique of kicking the underside of the ball to effect a backspinning drop, it's just a pity that's been allowed to slide and we've been subjected to watching utter drivel by comparison over the past 5+ years.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Kind of hoping the Bears move on from Punter Pat O'Donnell. He has decent hang time, but isn't very accurate. You can pretty much guarantee if we're putting from the halfway line, he'll punt it through the back of the endzone, rather than inside the 20.

Know we've been talking to John Stout and he's considered the second best Punter behind Araiza. Can't see us using one of our 5 picks on a Punter.

The Commanders need a QB, and I'd rather take the chance on this apparent mediocre class than going for say Jimmy G. 

Malik Willis seems to be the standout athlete, and then it's either Matt Corral or Kenny Picket, for whatever reason people are worried about Pickets hand size, wild. 

Think particularly teams in areas with poor weather worry about QBs gripping the ball properly with smallish hands.

Have heard Pickett is possibly the most pro-ready (although they said that about Josh Rosen). Corral arguably next highest rated. Willis seems to be a late riser and seen as a possible new Josh Allen, that is very raw, but with a big arm and leg talent.

13 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The Commanders need a QB, and I'd rather take the chance on this apparent mediocre class than going for say Jimmy G. 

Malik Willis seems to be the standout athlete, and then it's either Matt Corral or Kenny Picket, for whatever reason people are worried about Pickets hand size, wild. 

Jimmy G is not coming to Washington.  

On 21/02/2022 at 11:14, Brummie Clyde said:

Would you have Kirk Cousins back? On 45M I think and seems he is not willing to restructure his deal if it means getting less $

If he could bring down the hit to around the $20m-$25m on the year/extend I would do that deal tomorrow.  Would pay the plane ticket myself.  

Baylor WR Tyquan Thornton runs an unofficial 4.21 forty time! New record at the combine 
Had never heard of him or Isaiah Weston, but both have had some pretty impressive scores at the Combine.

Only a 4.55 for Treylon Burks, but I'd still love him for Da Bears [emoji199]

4.47 for Pickens and I don't think I'd take him at no. 39 if available, as injuries worry me.