2022 NFL Draft

lichtie23

General chatter about Detroit taking a QB at #32 is that would give them a 5th year option if he turns out to be ok. I can't see it being likely though, because I expect both Pickett and Willis will be off the board by then, and I don't think there's really anyone else worth taking in the 1st at QB. You have #66, and I think that any QB who survives past Atlanta and Seattle in round 2 is still going to be on the board when you pick there.
Only other left-field QB stuff I can see happening is an outside possibility that Tenn or Tampa takes a flier in the 1st if Pickett or Willis fall that far, which takes that option out of the Lions playbook anyway.
Other daft thing about that justification is that if you draft a QB and he's not emerged as a Franchise option in his first four years, you're honestly not bothered about the 5th year in any case, and any QB who does develop into a keeper is going to get a new contract in his 4th year anyway. You wont see many above average QB's playing on the 5th year option of their rookie deals.

Tampa surely don’t with them already having essentially wasted a pick on Trask?

4 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Tampa surely don’t with them already having essentially wasted a pick on Trask?

Depends entirely on how they feel about Trask, and if they think Pickett or Willis is worth worth taking over any of the other talent available at their slot.

As I said, the possibility of Tenn or Tampa picking a QB high is just a wildcard and I don't think either is likely, but that was part of a speculation about what could feasibly happen to the QB pool before Detroit picks at #32

FWIW I think Tenn would be creating a rod for their own back picking up a QB that high while Tannehill is under contract, but NFL teams sometimes do things in the draft that don't really make sense, and as much as Tampa taking Trask last year suggests they won't be taking a QB, it's not that long since the Cardinals took QB's with their #1 pick in back to back years, so giving up on the guy you chose 12 months earlier when a better option is sitting there isn't something that's totally unheard of.

I think if Carolina goes QB at 6 and that pick is Pickett, then NO passes on Willis at 16, then Philly and LAC's phones may well get hot with someone looking to jump up and grab him before NO is on the clock again at 19, because I think Pitt will go QB at 20. I also think the Seahawks will swing something for Baker Mayfield and it'll be announced as the first few picks are being made, if not before.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Thank f**k you are not LAC GM :lol:

I don't pay a massive amount of attention to every team in the draft so I don't really know what your needs are.  For quite a few of the picks I just went with the highest ranked player on teh PFF board at the time.

To be fair to you, roughly a third of the mocks I've seen have LAC taking a WR, but I think they're totally overlooking far bigger needs and falling into the trap that a lot of Chargers fans are also making of thinking that because we now have a strong-armed QB a deep-threat is all we need to be a contender.

As things stand, the entire right side of the OL has garbage and PS players pencilled in as starters, we lost by far and away our most effective ILB and haven't replaced him, we're still arguably a CB short, and despite signing two interior DL in Free Agency, people seem to have forgotten that Staley's scheme is a 5/2 and has 3 IDL on the field in base, and right now we don't have a legit NT on the roster.

I can definitely see a scenario where LAC takes a WR even though I'm going to be fucking angry if it happens, but I don't think they'd take London with Olave still on the board. Williams if he somehow falls, yes, but barring that Olave is really the only guy who fits the profile of what LAC is still lacking at WR.

Had a quick go on PFF. This is purely a 'no chaos/no trade/no Raiders taking a Div III punter in the 1st' look, and I haven't done what I think will happen in reality with at least two teams selecting a guy in the 1st that nobody else had that sort of grade on.

If LAC found themselves in this exact situation with no trade down partner, then I think the only sensible picks would be Davis, Olave, or Penning, but since I don't want a WR and I'm not certain about Penning, I took Davis. Davis is total boom or bust for me. He'll either be a totally unmovable Haloti Ngata x99999, or he'll be a fat blob that ends up out of the NFL within a few years, but of the three in my bracket I think he's the only one with the possibility to become a genuine blue-chip player, hence the selection. If there was an option to trade down a few spots, then I'd also consider Zion Johnson and Kaiir Elam, but #17 is too high to take either.

pff_mock_results.png

Edited by Boo Khaki

was listening to a podcast last night and the Travon Walker combine story is something else.

A projected late 1st / early 2nd round pick has a great combine and boom he's not being talked about as Number 1 overall.

If I was the Jag's just stick to Hutchison or one of the tackles.

I am going to watch tonight, despite Denver not picking until late second, as this has potential to be something special. plenty good players and no one seems to know where they are going to go. Imagine a punter going in the first round!!!!

can you have a punter who is also a kicker? do you need a long snapper or just keep using the normal one?

can you have a punter who is also a kicker? do you need a long snapper or just keep using the normal one?

In the CFL some teams have one player who is both kicker & punter. Mainly down to the smaller roster sizes of the CFL.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I did a PFF mock first round, no trades.  I'm not a big draft geek so found it pretty hard.

image.thumb.png.670cf2f1ab237255bf893c575b7960fc.png

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Had a quick go on PFF. This is purely a 'no chaos/no trade/no Raiders taking a Div III punter in the 1st' look, and I haven't done what I think will happen in reality with at least two teams selecting a guy in the 1st that nobody else had that sort of grade on.

If LAC found themselves in this exact situation with no trade down partner, then I think the only sensible picks would be Davis, Olave, or Penning, but since I don't want a WR and I'm not certain about Penning, I took Davis. Davis is total boom or bust for me. He'll either be a totally unmovable Haloti Ngata x99999, or he'll be a fat blob that ends up out of the NFL within a few years, but of the three in my bracket I think he's the only one with the possibility to become a genuine blue-chip player, hence the selection. If there was an option to trade down a few spots, then I'd also consider Zion Johnson and Kaiir Elam, but #17 is too high to take either.

pff_mock_results.png

If Garrett Wilson was there at 17 and we passed on him Telesco should be executed in the middle of SoFI.

RT is the obvious hole but the main tackle prospects will almost certainly be gone by the time we pick. The other options would be Davis, a pass rusher or a deep threat WR. I don't fancy Penning at 17 and I don't think London or Burks are the WR we need. I think McDuffie, Olave or Karlaftis are realistic picks

51 minutes ago, Super_A said:

If Garrett Wilson was there at 17 and we passed on him Telesco should be executed in the middle of SoFI.

RT is the obvious hole but the main tackle prospects will almost certainly be gone by the time we pick. The other options would be Davis, a pass rusher or a deep threat WR. I don't fancy Penning at 17 and I don't think London or Burks are the WR we need. I think McDuffie, Olave or Karlaftis are realistic picks

That's just my aversion to taking WR's in the first, and the fact I don't particularly rate Wilson at all. I think he's one of the ones that is most likely to bust, hence why I sent him the WR's graveyard of NE :P

Olave has a bit of a different skillset, and as much as I don't see him becoming anything more than a WR2 at a push, he's closer to what LAC is missing. We already have three WR's who can play outside, compete for jumpballs, and do all the stuff WR's are most often asked to do, so I really don't see the point in taking another WR unless they are something completely different, and even then I think it would be a low-value pick.