2022 NFL Draft

lichtie23

LAC will be one of them. We haven't touched any player with any hint of character issues since TT became GM in 2013. It's a core part of their philosophy, and in fairness to them it seems to be working in terms of keeping the franchise out of the limelight for the wrong reasons. I think we're the only NFL team that hasn't had a player arrested since 2015 or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Not surprised at the rumours Jax has been shopping the #1 over all. Not a great year to be picking first. If I was pushed I'd probably just take Hutchinson, but this is a weird class all around. Really deep at a few positions, really thin at most, but I don't see any super-amazing talents that people are going to want to mortgage the future to get their hands on. For that reason I think we might see a few more surprises in the First because some teams will take a guy top 10 that others don't have a first round grade on, as the discrepancy and fall-off in talent really isn't all that great or as extreme as in most years, so you could take maybe 40-50 players and make a case for them being 1st round worthy, but outside of a handful of players who I think won't make it past 12-15 it wouldn't be a huge shock to see many of them slide out of the 1st entirely either.

As for what LAC will do at #17, heaven knows. Most people are mocking Penning, Jordan Davis, or a CB or WR. I can see the sense in an RT because I don't think we have a viable starter on the roster right now, but we also have a huge hole at RG since they haven't re-signed Aboushi yet. I could see us taking Davis because having a hugely disruptive interior DL would be a massive boon for what Staley's D tries to do, but we double-dipped there in FA, and we really could do with another talent at CB given how awful Mike Davis was in Staley's scheme last season. I think AS Jnr does project better as a slot guy long term, so grabbing a guy who could play outside, if even only in Dime to begin with, would be a big help. I really don't see the value in taking a WR. Lots of Chargers fans have fallen in love with the idea of Herbert using that cannon arm to just lob rainbows up to a guy who runs straight through the secondary, and while we do have an obvious need for a dependable deep threat, I don't believe it's a position we could justify taking right now given the other holes on the roster. The O really wasn't the problem last year despite the shitty play at RT, TE and WR drops galore, and no production at RB behind Ekeler, so for me sorting our hilariously inept D should be the priority, with the caveat that taking a guy who could be a solid RT starter would make every skill position player already in the O much better. 1st round WR's flame out and bust at a ludicrous rate, but if you want good CB's and OT's generally speaking you have to pick them up in the 1st. We could also use another good edge/DE or a starting ILB, but I don't think there will be one worth taking still around at #17, and those would be luxury picks given our other needs. 

I think they are definitely eyeing up Araiza, so watching what happens with that could be an interesting story over days 2 & 3. The guy isn't going to get the time to launch 80 yard bombs v NFL rushes, and he wont be able to run into his kicks the way he does in college. For all he's blasting the ball for distance, his hang-times are nowhere near NFL requirements either. So while it's obvious he has a leg, he's going to be kicking the ball a lot higher and a lot more quickly otherwise he won't be around for long. It will be interesting to see how he develops no matter where he ends up though. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

Yeah, a lot of the talking heads are saying they've been tipped off that Walker is the Jags pick. I don't think there's much between him and Hutchinson, with AH probably more of a high-floor low-risk pick and Walker perhaps having the potential to progress more, but either way I don't think Detroit will be losing any sleep over who is still there at #2

I think this genuinely has a chance to be one of the wackiest 1st rounds ever, so teams picking 15-20 may well end up with an unlikely shot at a guy most mocks are suggesting will go top 10.

Because the QB pool is so thin, if Carolina takes Pickett/Willis at #6 it could well spark a panic trade-up by some team with a boner for the other guy. The deep WR pool doesn't mean that is protected from teams panic selecting if there is an early run, and there are wildcards like Tyler Linderbaum that an OL needy team might rank as a better overall prospect than any OL outside of the first couple of OT's on the board, or Jordan Davis, who is such an oddity some team who is intrigued could spend a top 10 pick, but at the same time he has a one-dimensional skillset that could see him bomb down boards, so I think it could turn out to be a bit of a crap-shoot that sees coveted players fall into the laps of teams that honestly thought they had no shot at them.

I never thought the Chargers would have been able to stand pat and pick up Derwin James, and I didn't think we had a realistic chance at Slater without moving up last year, but TT just let the draft play itself out and we got both, so if any of Cross, Neal, Ekwonu, Gardner, Stingley, or Jameson Williams are sitting there at #17 it would be a no-brainer to take them. I don't want WR in the 1st, but Williams is talented enough that it wouldn't make sense to pass on him for any player not in that list.

Edited by Boo Khaki

If we can't trade down and turn #3 & #13 into a better haul I'll be disappointed. There's no "one thing" that we need. We need many, many things. I get the feeling no-one will try to jump all the way up to #3, but #13 might be worth something.

I could see a team diving in at #13 if they want to pick up a QB before Pittsburgh, although 13-20 is still a bit of a gap that might be difficult to justify in terms of what they'd give up to do it. I don't see anyone after Atlanta and Seattle at 8&9 taking a QB, not even NO, so if Willis or Pickett are still on the board at pick 10, I think there's a good chance any team craving one of them could still get them by trading up to 17-19. I think you'd have to hope that one of the positions that is craved, but thin in quality sees a player or two go top 10, and someone is desperate to get the last guy at the position with blue chip potential before some other team swoops at their natural slot. Basically I think you are hoping only one of the top two/three OT's is sitting there, or perhaps one of the top two CB/DE. Begs the question though, if that were the case why would you not just select them yourself if you have holes all over and already have a fair number of choices later in the draft?

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Personally I want the Giants to take 2 O-Linemen but I think we will probably go O-Line at 5 and Edge at 7. 

If the talk of Jax taking Walker #1 is accurate, then that should help the top to fall the way you want it. I think you'll definitely have two of Cross, Neal, and Ekwonu available at 5, possibly all three, and Thibodeaux or Karlaftis at #7

Karlaftis seems to be tanking in a lot of mocks, and I'm not exactly sure why. After Hutchinson, Walker, and Thibodeaux there appears to be a significant drop-off in Edge quality, so I think if those three go top 10 someone will grab Karlaftis shortly after, and he may well go top 10 himself. DE's is one of the positions that you really should be investing your 1sts in.

Last year was one of the most interesting drafts/build ups ever and this year is the complete opposite. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on anything. Pats fan and we have many needs, WR isn’t as big as it was pre FA and BB can’t draft them for shit but if one of the big guys is still there at our pick it’d be tough not take a punt. Hope it’s one of the LB’s Lloyd or Dean if they are still there or one of the CB’s. If not then trade back.

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

49ers first pick at the moment is no 61, so unless they manage to pull off a trade then there's not much to get excited about for the 49ers fans until Friday.

I reckon Deebo to the Jets for the 10th pick 

Seems to be more and more hints that Hutchinson is going to be there for the Lions at number 2, which would be excellent.

Unsure what the 32nd pick is going to hold.  A lot of mocks see Detroit taking a quarterback there but I'm not sure that's how it will go - there are so many needs and while Goff is obviously limited he can play which makes QB perhaps less urgent.  I can see the Lions taking more low risk players at 32 and 34.

The Lions have two first round picks in 2023 and that's seen as a more QB friendly draft than this year.

General chatter about Detroit taking a QB at #32 is that would give them a 5th year option if he turns out to be ok. I can't see it being likely though, because I expect both Pickett and Willis will be off the board by then, and I don't think there's really anyone else worth taking in the 1st at QB. You have #66, and I think that any QB who survives past Atlanta and Seattle in round 2 is still going to be on the board when you pick there.

Only other left-field QB stuff I can see happening is an outside possibility that Tenn or Tampa takes a flier in the 1st if Pickett or Willis fall that far, which takes that option out of the Lions playbook anyway.

Other daft thing about that justification is that if you draft a QB and he's not emerged as a Franchise option in his first four years, you're honestly not bothered about the 5th year in any case, and any QB who does develop into a keeper is going to get a new contract in his 4th year anyway. You wont see many above average QB's playing on the 5th year option of their rookie deals.

Edited by Boo Khaki