The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

You mean it creates a situation where cisgender athletes are considered the norm and trans athletes are outliers?

Doesnt the Paralympics do the same thing to disabled athletes? 

I mean that it creates a situation whereby Trans women and trans men are excluded from the categories of women and men respectively, which has obvious problematic implications given the massive amount of media and political effort trying to do exactly that already.

I’m not having a go at you by the way, as the subject of transgender rights in sport is complicated and I’m certainly no authority, but that’s just the way I see it here.

In other news, I see the Tories have decided not to ban conversion therapy. 

39 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What about a completely separate category for transgender athletes? 

That way, women’s athletes aren’t disadvantaged by having to compete against biological males, and trans women aren’t unfairly misgendered by lumping them in with the men. Win-win situation. 

You'd just get the same 2 people competing against each other for the most part, the percentage of trans people is tiny. There's no one fits all solution, each sport and event needs a different approach, yours might suit certain events.

I've not got much skin in the game on the whole trans debate but conversion therapy sounds like something that the 17th century bullying Puritans would tip their hat too. If you aren't harming anyone else and it makes you happy you can identify as whatever the f**k you like and don't let any crazy zealot tell you your a pariah.

11 hours ago, Donathan said:

What about a completely separate category for transgender athletes? 

That way, women’s athletes aren’t disadvantaged by having to compete against biological males, and trans women aren’t unfairly misgendered by lumping them in with the men. Win-win situation. 

No. 

11 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

In other news, I see the Tories have decided not to ban conversion therapy

How depressing, I thought they were making good progress down south.

It's an absolutely vile practice and one that certainly has no place in a modern country.

8 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

"A second example is a community centre which has separate male and female toilets. The centre could conduct a survey in which some service users say that they would not use the centre if the toilets were open to members of the opposite biological sex, for reasons of privacy and dignity or because of their religious belief. 

The centre therefore decides to introduce an additional gender-neutral toilet, and puts up signs telling all users that they may use either the toilet for their biological sex or to use the gender neutral toilet if they feel more comfortable doing so."

What fantasy land is this where a community centre with two toilets is going to build a third toilet solely for use by trans men/women - or anyone they think looks too masculine or feminine going into the F or M toilets (unless they propose genital checks).

Just checking,  telling a someone who is trans they can’t identify as their gender but not forcing them to identity as another gender is still bigotry right?

This is just seems rebranding of ‘yeah well I don’t like it but if they keep it behind closed doors then It’s ok’ 

What religious belief means you can't use a unisex toilet?

Those who invoke 'religious beliefs' should just be honest and admit it is bigotry, because saying 'religious beliefs' fools absolutely no one.

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

"A second example is a community centre which has separate male and female toilets. The centre could conduct a survey in which some service users say that they would not use the centre if the toilets were open to members of the opposite biological sex, for reasons of privacy and dignity or because of their religious belief. 

The centre therefore decides to introduce an additional gender-neutral toilet, and puts up signs telling all users that they may use either the toilet for their biological sex or to use the gender neutral toilet if they feel more comfortable doing so."

What fantasy land is this where a community centre with two toilets is going to build a third toilet solely for use by trans men/women - or anyone they think looks too masculine or feminine going into the F or M toilets (unless they propose genital checks).

PMF6JSu.jpg

While an amusing thought, I'm not so sure that's terribly great advice TBH.

Some of these genital inspectors seem like they'd be delighted for the opportunity to whip their bits out and demand their target do the same. If they're mob-handed, you've got a major problem.

5 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I see Mogg was on LBC talking about people’s cocks.

For him anti-LGBTQ laws are part of Brexit’s taking back control.

He’ll be demanding that table legs are adequately covered, the wannabe Victorian freak.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I see Mogg was on LBC talking about people’s cocks.

For him anti-LGBTQ laws are part of Brexit’s taking back control.

I wonder if we will ever actually take back control or if like the rest of Brexit it was just fluff.

Biological men competing in women's sports where physique and strength is a factor; utter nonsense. Argument closed.

Separate competitions for trans athletes is the way to go.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Other than the obvious sporting competition issues, I can't get my head around why anyone except the trans person themselves would care enough about any of this to get themselves into a frothing rage.

Between the trans debate and the homosexuality debates which predated it, there's a f**k of a lot of people utterly obsessed with the sexual organs of other people and where they want to put them. It is completely baffling.

As for the sporting competition issue itself, I actually don't know what the solution is. I'm not even sure what should be done with Caster Semenya's situation. I suspect this affects on a tiny handful of people but I have no idea what the best solution would be.

In other words it does not affect you, so why should you care. 

"First they came for the martial arts enthusiasts" etc

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm saying it has absolutely f**k all to do with anyone other than the trans person.

They are harming nobody here and I can't understand the levels of rage over the issue.

That's fair enough.