The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe the person in front of them was a trans man and they got confused? :1eye Wouldn't surprise me if there are obviously male looking fans of Lineham trying to get into women's toilets to create a fuss, being as there's no evidence of it ever being an issue.

Yeah I didn’t think of that tbh. Oh well, they didn’t get it from me, I just smiled and went to wash my hands.

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Ignoring the misgendering, he can’t do really simple maths either. You can’t balance 5 guests, you’d need to have 3 of one and 2 of the other. 

One could identify as male for the first half of the programme then female for the second half. 🤔

More Linehan stuff that I CBA linking to but apparently there is a pretty large number of older, LGB alliance types who are trying to claim that the word "queer" is a vile slur even when used by young LGBTQ people, as they were not around when it was a popular slur.

Seems very very strange to me, and kind of ties in with something I've seen discussed on the radfem side of the TERF movement where their conception of that part of their identity is wrapped up completely in a darker past which they feel that younger people (young LGBTQ people and young women are overwhelmingly, based on my experience and polling I've read, completely bewildered by most anti-trans stuff) don't appreciate enough.

I think the UK is now somewhere where generational politics is completely ingrained, on the culture war and economic issues there's a complete disconnect of how people see and experience the world between generations, even within the same identity groups. Not to say that in this case all or even a majority of older feminists or gay/lesbian people are like the mentalists in Linehan/Rowling's mentions

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

8 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

One could identify as male for the first half of the programme then female for the second half. 🤔

If you told Dross he got a separate paycheque for each half he’d likely be up for it. You’d just have to flash up a card after 30 minutes to remind Scottish viewers that it’s now Tory c**tress Douglas Ross. 

Edited by carpetmonster
Formatting

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

More Linehan stuff that I CBA linking to but apparently there is a pretty large number of older, LGB alliance types who are trying to claim that the word "queer" is a vile slur even when used by young LGBTQ people, as they were not around when it was a popular slur.

Seems very very strange to me, and kind of ties in with something I've seen discussed on the radfem side of the TERF movement where their conception of that part of their identity is wrapped up completely in a darker past which they feel that younger people (young LGBTQ people and young women are overwhelmingly, based on my experience and polling I've read, completely bewildered by most anti-trans stuff) don't appreciate enough.

I think the UK is now somewhere where generational politics is completely ingrained, on the culture war and economic issues there's a complete disconnect of how people see and experience the world between generations, even within the same identity groups. Not to say that in this case all or even a majority of older feminists or gay/lesbian people are like the mentalists in Linehan/Rowling's mentions

I’m by no means a feminist theorist but I have read that the radfems who’ve lapsed into transphobia were part of the hardcore ‘no men, kill your sons’ element and they view trans women as men trying to assert yet more male privilege. 

The LGB types who scream about ‘queer’, I think are mostly disingenuous and it’s about erasure of Q alongside the erasure of T; the word itself has been reclaimed for a very long time. Treat in the same way as ‘well how come that rapper can say that word, but I, as a white middle aged gammon can’t?!?’ 

It's very interesting that the folk most triggered by this are old unionist types and the more extreme fringe nationists. I'd say this is probably the first thing since the independence referendum which hasn't gone down party lines and is more age and small c conservative vs liberal driven.

Will be fascinating to look back in 20 years and see how badly some of the arguments age....

17 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

It's very interesting that the folk most triggered by this are old unionist types and the more extreme fringe nationists. I'd say this is probably the first thing since the independence referendum which hasn't gone down party lines and is more age and small c conservative vs liberal driven.

Will be fascinating to look back in 20 years and see how badly some of the arguments age....

It's dominating the media in Scotland at the moment but the reality is that the vast majority (myself included) have no interest whatsoever (rightly or wrongly) as it has no effect on our life's or the people we know.

The bottom line is that we are in the middle of a cost of living crisis which has a widespread impact, we've got homeless numbers and foodbank use at record levels and low wages and the associated industrial action is affecting almost everyone in the country in one way or another, so while the people directly involved in the gender debate will have a strong opinion, as I say, the majority of us have far more important issues to be dealing with.....

Edited by WATTOO

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's dominating the media in Scotland at the moment but the reality is that the vast majority (myself included) have no interest whatsoever (rightly or wrongly) as it has no effect on our life's or the people we know.

The bottom line is that we are in the middle of a cost of living crisis which has a widespread impact, we've got homeless numbers and foodbank use at record levels and low wages and the associated industrial action is affecting almost everyone in the country in one way or another, so while the people directly involved in the gender debate will have a strong opinion, as I say, the majority of us have far more important issues to be dealing with.....

Totally agree. The vast majority of us are pretty indifferent to it as in reality, it impacts such a vanishingly small number of people and the fears being stoked up are by a very small minority of people who know full well that things like the prospect of someone using the legislation as a means to assault a woman in the toilets is so vanishingly small as to not be noteworthy.

Finland just this week and many other countries have the same legislation, so we aren't exactly an outlier. 

1 hour ago, orfc said:

Well well well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64501436

It seems neither does Ms Sturgeon - she says he's almost certainly lying so agrees with me (which isn't surprising as I am always right all the time on everything)

That’s a minefield. You’re treading a very fine line questioning someone’s gender now.

2 hours ago, orfc said:

Well well well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64501436

It seems neither does Ms Sturgeon - she says he's almost certainly lying so agrees with me (which isn't surprising as I am always right all the time on everything)

She also made plain that she doesn't know enough about them to make a definitive judgement, so probably also the same as you with that.

Disappointed the BBC chose to feature India Willoughby on a programme where they spent 3/4's of discussing the recent trans binfire. She's prone to waffle, ridiculous statements, and putting her own foot in it and undermining her own points. There are erudite, articulate trans people that they could have featured in her stead, so it makes me wonder if it's not a deliberate editorial decision designed to undermine trans people and the pro-GRR side by featuring someone who habitually makes a fool of themselves, rather than platforming someone of similar views who is rather more competent and coherent. She's done ok for the most part, but failed to skewer some of the more obviously false and untruthful claims being made.

14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Gilruth didn't answer her question though.

Spouting "that person is a rapist" and "I don't have enough information" was weak.

I don't disagree with that individual point, but that is a standard way to answer on QT every single week.

Some of the bigoted shite she was allowed to peddle was an absolute disgrace, and yet somehow the woman in the audience managed to out-do her

Edited by Mark Connolly