The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

22 hours ago, virginton said:

You can't abandon self-ID principles just because the alternative is uncomfortable to deal with. The inherent logic of the law will either play out across all settings or the law will have to be amended. 

Except 'self-ID principles' are complete nonsense.  The best thing to do is abandon them.

A lot of sympathy towards female prisoners in the whole media coverage of this with very little regard for the reasons they are incarcerated in the first place or their victims. Seems odd that any prison inmates would be portrayed as victims but I suppose it suits the narrative in the current climate. 

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

A lot of sympathy towards female prisoners in the whole media coverage of this with very little regard for the reasons they are incarcerated in the first place or their victims. Seems odd that any prison inmates would be portrayed as victims but I suppose it suits the narrative in the current climate. 

Agreed.

They are convicted criminals.

Bear in mind, also, that it’s quite hard to actually get sent to prison in the first place.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Apparently the bold Joanne is making a hero - along with the Record - out of a woman with a very chequered background of (multiple) serious assaults and homophobia. Because now she’s a trustworthy, brave lady just speaking up about her fear of what she calls “nonces” and “troons” running riot in prisons (none actually doing anything aggressive in her story, mind).

Bizarre to see the “hang ‘em and flog ‘em” types worshipping someone they’d normally want … well … flogged and hanged, all because she’s playing their favourite song.

37 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Apparently the bold Joanne is making a hero - along with the Record - out of a woman with a very chequered background of (multiple) serious assaults and homophobia. Because now she’s a trustworthy, brave lady just speaking up about her fear of what she calls “nonces” and “troons” running riot in prisons (none actually doing anything aggressive in her story, mind).

Bizarre to see the “hang ‘em and flog ‘em” types worshipping someone they’d normally want … well … flogged and hanged, all because she’s playing their favourite song.

Leave Troon out of it, fine town otherwise totally. The Mail and Express suddenly showing concern for prisoners is so shallow and sham it's laughable. 

Fair play to VT, one of genuinely a handful of people I've seen who are able to articulate reasonable concerns about the impact of self-ID without some sort of appeal to biological essentialism or revealing some otherwise fundamentally transphobic root of disapproval (to be clear, I think this is because he doesn't hold those views rather than being better at hiding them). 

This is a difficult issue, and now probably a majority of opponents are behaving increasingly and alarmingly deranged, but the government's refusal to be firm or clear on certain implications of policy helps no one. While Sturgeon deserves credit for continuing to pursue this, as has been mentioned ad infinitum this was essentially universal policy pre trans issue becoming a culture war, it does often feel like her approach to the issue is like that meme except she's turning a big dial that says "trans rights" until part of the audience starts hissing and then performing a partial u turn.

That being said, I'm all for her calling out the "saying anything insulting to a woman is misogyny" gang for their own side's toxicity 

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I wonder if Rachel Hamilton MSP  knows who Julie Bindel is?

Now sharing the views of someone with a track record of transphobia.

The mask is slipping.

A quick squint at her timeline shows she’s previously RTd Rosie Duffield and Helen Joyce so, yeah, she knows exactly who she is. 

24 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

A quick squint at her timeline shows she’s previously RTd Rosie Duffield and Helen Joyce so, yeah, she knows exactly who she is. 

It's why I said that the mask is slipping.

I get that some may have issues with aspects of the GRA but this shows that the fake concerns for women are nothing more than an excuse for their bigotted views underneath.

These bigots don't want transsexuals full stop 

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's why I said that the mask is slipping.

I get that some may have issues with aspects of the GRA but this shows that the fake concerns for women are nothing more than an excuse for their bigotted views underneath.

These bigots don't want transsexuals full stop 

GB news in facilitating bigots shocker 😲

5 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

‘No to self-ID’ and ‘My team: Rangers’ in the one go is quite the take. 

It was only a matter of time until he got pished and the mask slipped tbh. Another utterly dreadful individual sharing the same bin as Dawson Park Bigot. 

On 28/01/2023 at 21:30, The_Kincardine said:

Except 'self-ID principles' are complete nonsense.  The best thing to do is abandon them.

Is this, given the distance of twenty four hours and the Sabbath, your considered and thoughtful position?