The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

This is, in fact, exactly why they totally changed tack.

I think it was Esther McVey (might be wrong on this, was deffo a Tory female MP) making a bit of a fuss behind the scenes about a lack of progress on GRC in the early days of BoJo's government, so they did a quick bit of polling among their own core support, unsurprisingly discovered it wasn't very popular with socially conservative geriatrics, and so began all the 'legitimate concerns/they're all secretly pedos' pish they are still churning out now.

Do we have any figures of all these male to female peados that are currently banged up in Peterhead?!

Dog whistle bigotry and not very subtle either.

Feminism is also loosing its way here.

Again, this is to help ease a tiny minority of people's life and rightly so. 

Appears to be a rude awakening for branch office MSP Monica Lennon that her party is nothing more than an inconsequential branch office. In fairness to her she's frequently on the right side of things, I just can't really reconcile how she, and similar SLab MSP's can't seem to see the woods for the trees. -

6 minutes ago, Madame RH33 said:

Do we have any figures of all these male to female peados that are currently banged up in Peterhead?!

Dog whistle bigotry and not very subtle either.

Feminism is also loosing its way here.

Again, this is to help ease a tiny minority of people's life and rightly so. 

163 trans inmates in the English prison system a couple years back so if you pro rata it down for population, likely about a dozen in Scotland 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52748117.amp

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

163 trans inmates in the English prison system a couple years back so if you pro rata it down for population, likely about a dozen in Scotland 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52748117.amp

How many are peados that the Tories oh so fear......willing to bet there's been more Tory MP's convicted as than trans. 

5 minutes ago, Madame RH33 said:

How many are peados that the Tories oh so fear......willing to bet there's been more Tory MP's convicted as than trans. 

The gender critters keep bringing up Katie Dolatowski over and over so if I was a betting man, I’d wager only her. 

'but prisons' is yet another of the spurious 'legitimate concerns' that comes up time and time again.

How prisoners are handled is entirely at the discretion of prison estate and governorship, and is not affected by possession of a GRC.

Secondly, many of the specific, named individuals within the prison system who are invariably cited as examples for why we can't give people GRC's, do not in fact possess a GRC themselves. 

This is a recurring theme with GC arguments. It's all hypotheticals and strawmen, and totally ignores pertinent, but inconvenient truths that undermine the legitimacy of these 'legitimate' concerns.

11 minutes ago, alastair.fo016 said:

I assume that the SNP have engineered this situation, I can't imagine that they were unaware that this was a likely outcome. A sensible approach would have been to agree how to implement the proposed changes prior to passing the bill .....

Well Westminster have had since 2016 to engage with the SG on this and didn't bother their arse. Also, the amendment which inserted the stressor of Equality Act primacy within the bill was a Labour amendment, the bill itself had cross party support within Holyrood, so I totally reject the assertion that anyone in the SP was 'engineering' anything, never mind it being the SNP alone.

38 minutes ago, alastair.fo016 said:

I assume that the SNP have engineered this situation, I can't imagine that they were unaware that this was a likely outcome. A sensible approach would have been to agree how to implement the proposed changes prior to passing the bill .....

The Westminster parties were all in favour of a similar bill until the ERG took over the Conservatives. The Scottish Labour Party whipped their members to pass it. The so called reasons demand scrapping the Bill, no ammendments would work according to their frankly bizarre criteria. Will the English Labour Party under Starmer ever take a principled stance on anything? 

possibly some good news that’s been missed in the current stramash, possibly another excuse for the Tories/Labour to throw feces around Westminster in the upcoming period; who knows. 

ETA - ignore me - it apparently has an exemption for ‘religious’ conversion therapy, which covers the vast majority of it, so likely a bill that means nada and lets them pretend they give a shit. 

Edited by carpetmonster

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I suspect they'll be using paragraph b.

I suspect they'll use an entirely different legal argument when it gets to court. The current 'reasons' are laughable.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

HMRC don't have the IT functionality to cope, apparently.

I know a trans girl and apparently for historical reasons her tax treatment & processing is the same as people in witness protection because of the historical stigma around trans people, wether that is true or not I'm not sure but I could easily believe it.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I suspect they'll use an entirely different legal argument when it gets to court. The current 'reasons' are laughable.

Not sure that'll wash in court. The Order itself must be justified in terms of the reasons upon which the decision to issue it was made. It's a long time since I studied constitutional law as part of my degree, but my recollections are that if there are not sound reasons at the time the decision was made, the decision is ultra vires and falls. Happy to be corrected if that is no longer the case!