The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Seven SNP MSPs vote against the bill, the biggest rebellion in 15 years against an SNP whip.

The MSPs who voted against are

Stephanie Callaghan
Fergus Ewing 
Kenny Gibson
Ruth Maguire
John Mason
Ash Regan
Michelle Thomson 

Abstentions

Annabelle Ewing
Jim Fairlie

If you had asked me in 2007 what would prompt the biggest backbench rebellion in a decade and a half in the Scottish Parliament I would not have said “changes to gender recognition certificates”. 

What would you have said?

14 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Transphobes are given every right of reply. If you check the Daily Mail - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/transgender-issues/index.html - there's been 8 'trans' stories over the last 2 days. For 0.5% of the population.

One of those articles is on Helen Joyce, who's also spoken at For Women Scotland rallies. Helen Joyce has also made videos where she says " every one of those people is basically, you know, a huge problem to a sane world” (from https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/06/03/helen-joyce-transgender-lgbtq/) "and that means reducing or keeping down the number of people who transition"

Transphobia very much has the bulk of the debate just now. Have Aiden Comerford or Katy Montgomerie ever been on the BBC? 

But please, do bore all the way off. 

I couldn't give a flying f**k.

Thank you.

An SNP minister has resigned over Scottish government plans to make it easier for someone to change their legally-recognised gender.

Ash Regan quit as community safety minister, saying her conscience would not allow her to support the plans.

Her resignation came hours ahead of the gender recognition reform bill being passed in principle at Holyrood.

Seven SNP MSPs voted against and two abstained in the biggest rebellion since the party came to power.

It was also the first time an SNP minister had quit over government policy since 2007 but, despite the dissent, the stage 1 vote at Holyrood saw it comfortably passed by 88 to 33 with four abstentions.

The bill aims to speed up the time it takes to obtain a gender recognition certificate (GRC) and drops the requirement for a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria.

It also lowers the age for obtaining a GRC from 18 to 16.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-63416857

I never thought i'd live long enough to see an SNP politician act in good conscience.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

What would you have said?

Well it was 2007 so probably something like

”nu rave, Kanye, Tony Blair, iPods, Iraq war, I can haz cheeseburger, what about Obama”

1 minute ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Transphobia is yet another word that has lost all meaning due to misuse.

So platforming folks who come out with 'these people are a problem in any sane society and there needs to be less of them' isn't transphobic? Cool. 

6 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

About someone calling for eugenics on a minority? Fits. You'd change your tune if it was discrimination against Bigfoot. 

Go and do what you like and live your life the way you want. (unless you're harming other people) Sick of the screaming and shouting about how everything is so unfair, I have got rights etc

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Go and do what you like and live your life the way you want. (unless you're harming other people) Sick of the screaming and shouting about how everything is so unfair, I have got rights etc

Thank you.

That's the point; the folks that are advocating trying to harm the other people have the platform just now. 

8 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

That's your opinion, excellent, we disagree.

Kind of sums up my original post.

Thank you.

I take it then, if the Daily Mail was dedicating lavish amounts of coverage to someone who says 'Scottish people are a problem in any sane society and we need to make sure there's less of them', then you'd be alright with that? 

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

He has every right to take that position.

Just as everyone with a different view has.

Of course. And everyone else has a right to think that if karma gets him by way of a polar bear eating his face as they have to move their habitat south then it'll be no bad thing at all. 

Edited by carpetmonster

27 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I take it then, if the Daily Mail was dedicating lavish amounts of coverage to someone who says 'Scottish people are a problem in any sane society and we need to make sure there's less of them', then you'd be alright with that? 

Yep, I'd have a laugh and shake my head at the stupidity of it, certainly wouldn't go screeching and screaming, and demanding they shut up.

Thank you.