The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

No- you can observe the sex of a baby whilst it’s in the womb via a sonogram.
Scientific fact.
The word assigned makes it sound as if there is some kind of choice involved.
Ill go with chromosomes.

So, chromosomal related “issues” would result in the birth of what sex, exactly?

11 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

No- you can observe the sex of a baby whilst it’s in the womb via a sonogram.

Scientific fact.

The word assigned makes it sound as if there is some kind of choice involved.

Ill go with chromosomes.

Maybe in the 1980s sonograms weren't around? Also, not everyone chooses to know the sex or gender of the baby while it's in the womb. We didn't. 

Given the last time we interacted I had to inform you 'eschew' meant the opposite of what you thought it did, I'll give your reading on 'assigned' a pass, if that's all the same. 

ETA - either way it doesn't make much odds between 'assigned male at birth' or 'assigned male at sonogram' - the individual is still being assigned a gender by someone who isn't that individual. 

Edited by carpetmonster

We're hardly discussing trans bacteria are we? 

When it comes to serious topics the right language should be used, so idiots like yourself and Kenneth can’t muddy the waters.

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Not at all. You need to find out how she identifies before saying that.

And do you really think that a woman that had a hysterectomy would identify as anything less?  Crazy if you do.  But she had a womb in the first place though. 

And do you really think that a woman that had a hysterectomy would identify as anything less?  Crazy if you do.  But she had a womb in the first place though. 

What about women that are born without one? Jesus f**k, are you really this dense?

5 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

2 humans of the same sex can’t, no; they can raise a child however.

2 humans of the same gender can reproduce though. Get your head around that, brain donor.

No.  2 humans of the same gender can't.  No. 

To be fair, he's not the only one out of his depth on this subject.
There's not a single person on here showing that they have the slightest grasp on this subject.
At all.
For me, the science points towards chromosomes but if someone can refute that from a scientific point of view then I'm all ears.
Chromosomes are more fundamental unit than sex organs.

So those born with both male and female chromosomes are…?

3 minutes ago, Kenneth840 said:

So you agree that a person without a womb can describe herself as a woman then? We're getting somewhere, its a start. Gender isn't only defined by reproductive organs.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Maybe in the 1980s sonograms weren't around? Also, not everyone chooses to know the sex or gender of the baby while it's in the womb. We didn't. 

Given the last time we interacted I had to inform you 'eschew' meant the opposite of what you thought it did, I'll give your reading on 'assigned' a pass, if that's all the same. 

Did you choose the sex of your baby at birth? 

One question and rather than people saying "Sorry, I have no idea", the thread disintegrates into a total bin fire.
If there is an answer to what makes a man or a woman I'm obviously not going to find it on here.
Incidentally, the trans woman Debbie Hayton has a an interesting quote about asking transgender people what makes a man or a woman. She says "It's perfectly reasonable for people to ask what makes a man or a woman and it's perfectly right to challenge trans people on what they mean when they talk about transitioning. Don't expect us to have an answer to this question though. Most of us don't know either". 
So it looks like the advice to ask trans people about it isn't the golden nugget some of you think it is.
And on that score, I'll leave you guys to it.

One question about Swyer syndrome and your tail is between your legs; you won’t be missed.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

One question and rather than people saying "Sorry, I have no idea", the thread disintegrates into a total bin fire.

If there is an answer to what makes a man or a woman I'm obviously not going to find it on here.

Incidentally, the trans woman Debbie Hayton has a an interesting quote about asking transgender people what makes a man or a woman. She says "It's perfectly reasonable for people to ask what makes a man or a woman and it's perfectly right to challenge trans people on what they mean when they talk about transitioning. Don't expect us to have an answer to this question though. Most of us don't know either". 

So it looks like the advice to ask trans people about it isn't the golden nugget some of you think it is.

And on that score, I'll leave you guys to it.

33 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Excellent, so now you're asking me to justify a coloured circle when you completely stonewalled me on the same request a few pages back. 

What makes me a man? I'm not sure. I was assigned male at birth and haven't had any serious quibbles with that. I like traditional 'male pursuits' and don't take a whole lot of pride with my appearance in the way that a lot of folks assigned female at birth stereotypically do. You could say that folks assigned female at birth also enjoy having a few pints and scratching their arse and I'd agree with you. It's pretty nebulous. Like lots of us have said now, everyone's got their own experience and you'll likely get as many different answers as there are people to answer it. 

Yes. You've been told this recently, without having to quote Debbie Hayton, who was 'Debbie something or other' 20 odd minutes ago. 

7 minutes ago, Kenneth840 said:

Did you choose the sex of your baby at birth? 

No. The medic (doctor, rather than midwife in our case, as birthing in the US is very much a doctor-led activity and midwife is a significantly different role than in the UK) told us she was a girl. If at some point she has questions around her gender identity then we'll try to help her out with that as best we can, much like we would any other questions she has in life. 

11 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

What about women that are born without one? Jesus f**k, are you really this dense?

The one in 5000 that have Meyer Rokitansky Kuster Hauser condition that are born without a womb produce eggs.  

The majority of people without a womb cannot produce eggs. 

Are you really this dense?

9 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Yes; they can. 2 of the same sex can’t. Not that difficult, champ.

No they can't.  Don't try and gaslight me. 

No they can't.  Don't try and gaslight me. 

You said nothing about the ability to produce eggs, you were talking about lack of a womb. So, what about humans that are born sterile? Are they sexless?

Can’t believe I’m actually talking to someone in 2022 who conflate sex and gender.

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

You said nothing about the ability to produce eggs, you were talking about lack of a womb. So, what about humans that are born sterile? Are they sexless?

Can’t believe I’m actually talking to someone in 2022 who conflate sex and gender.

Women that cannot produce eggs are still women.  Why? Because they were born with a womb and ovaries.  It is unfortunate that they don't work but the body was made that way.  

You are still talking to someone in 2022 that appreciates facts over fiction.