The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

47 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Okay, live and let live but do you agree, in terms of fairness, that there is no way that a trans woman should compete in women’s sports where physicality is important.

Also, in terms of science she’s still a man, can’t have children ,no menopause, etc., etc.

You know there are cis women who can't have children right?

Defining people by what they can and cant do seems a completely backward way to think about things.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The science thing is irrelevant to how she feels most comfortable, which is the only issue as far as I'm concerned. As regards sports there shouldn't be a hard and fast rule covering all sports, wouldn't be a problem in horse racing for example. Where transitioning gives an obvious and unfair advantage I don't see how they can do other than ban entry, and where feasible set up another category of race where anyone can compete.

How will the horse tell you it's transexual?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Ah, the Tucker Carlson strategy. Here's a bunch of questions that I could easily Google, but I'd rather seethe in my performative ignorance.

It's an odd way to spend a happy, satisfied retirement, but each to their own.

YARN | I knew you'd be here, so I had to be here, too. | Poltergeist II:  The Other Side (1986) | Video clips by quotes | 522b9d25 | 紗

40 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I don't. There isn't nearly enough scientific basis as to how to include or exclude at the moment. For example Verity Smith - a trans man - plays wheelchair rugby on a mens team - a sport so physical it was known for years as 'murderball' and has just won the wheelchair Rugby League title with Leeds Rhinos wheelchair side. Caster Semenya is classed by the IOC as male for certain events and femaie for others so it seems the authorities don't have much of a clue either as yet. Transgender athletes have been allowed to compete at the Olympics since 2004 and only one has medaled thus far - a Canadian athlete in the womens' soccer team. If trans women should be dominant, by whatever logic, in women's sports, then they're making a dreadful go of it thus far. 

The only issue I have with your argument here is that until now, society has largely been very unforgiving and in some cases actively against trans people, making it difficult for them to transition or to thrive once they have done so. 

This has meant people either not transitioning at all, so the number of trans people in sport remains low, or that entry to sport is blocked on the way up, meaning they often don’t get the chance to make it to elite level. So I don’t think there are enough trans people in sport to scientifically study and say either way that they are or are not going to dominate.

I am not saying that’s changed but we are beginning to turn that around a little bit. I can anticipate a lot more trans people coming through to be sportspeople now and in the future. 

28 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The only issue I have with your argument here is that until now, society has largely been very unforgiving and in some cases actively against trans people, making it difficult for them to transition or to thrive once they have done so. 

This has meant people either not transitioning at all, so the number of trans people in sport remains low, or that entry to sport is blocked on the way up, meaning they often don’t get the chance to make it to elite level. So I don’t think there are enough trans people in sport to scientifically study and say either way that they are or are not going to dominate.

I am not saying that’s changed but we are beginning to turn that around a little bit. I can anticipate a lot more trans people coming through to be sportspeople now and in the future. 

Oh absolutely - as Welshy said a while back, if trans athletes were to get their own category then it'd be single athlete races because their number is so vanishingly small. I do know that Lia Thomas has lost a fair bit of time from her competing as male in her NCAA days prior to starting hormones, and on her current pace, isn't going to be a medal threat to Katie Ledecky etc. I tend to agree with Megan Rapinoe - start from a point of inclusion - and as the science and data points get better and more numerous, then build the framework for the increasing number of trans athletes from there.

Edited by carpetmonster
Lia Thomas not Lia Williams, derp

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

I don't. There isn't nearly enough scientific basis as to how to include or exclude at the moment. For example Verity Smith - a trans man - plays wheelchair rugby on a mens team - a sport so physical it was known for years as 'murderball' and has just won the wheelchair Rugby League title with Leeds Rhinos wheelchair side. Caster Semenya is classed by the IOC as male for certain events and femaie for others so it seems the authorities don't have much of a clue either as yet. Transgender athletes have been allowed to compete at the Olympics since 2004 and only one has medaled thus far - a Canadian athlete in the womens' soccer team. If trans women should be dominant, by whatever logic, in women's sports, then they're making a dreadful go of it thus far. 

Why are you missing out the rest of DPB post?  

51 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I have no problem with people that are transitioning. 

7 minutes ago, Kenneth840 said:

But the still have a womb.  Womban. 

You wouldn't claim that a woman who's had a hysterectomy is no longer a woman, would you?

Edited by welshbairn

Sigh, 

This is ridiculous.  Why are people intent on believing they are something they are most definitely not.  Why the constant gaslighting of a population.  I would like to have someone paying my energy bills.  If I say to my energy provider I think you should be paying for it, will they?  We can all dream up shit and hope it happens, but this false bullshit is taking it to another level.  You do realise that you are being played by right wing capitalist pharma companies don't you?  Read the Denton report?  

Just watched a blackbird in the garden, it was beautiful and its mate a brown blackbird seeking worms.  You cannot change nature.  I just witnessed part of the reproductive system of nature.  You cannot change that, like you can't change the weather.  It is absurd to believe so. 

Male = Penis (creating sperm)

Female = Vagina/womb (creating eggs)

It is biological fact.  You cannot change it just because you say so.  If people have problems with their identity they should seek psychiatric help.  

1 minute ago, Kenneth840 said:

Sigh, 

This is ridiculous.  Why are people intent on believing they are something they are most definitely not.  Why the constant gaslighting of a population.  I would like to have someone paying my energy bills.  If I say to my energy provider I think you should be paying for it, will they?  

Just watched a blackbird in the garden, it was beautiful and its mate a brown blackbird seeking worms.  You cannot change nature.  I just witnessed part of the reproductive system of nature.  You cannot change that, like you can't change the weather.  It is absurd to believe so. 

Male = Penis (creating sperm)

It is biological fact.  You cannot change it just because you say so.  If people have problems with their identity they should seek psychiatric help.  

Transgender people aren't freed from financial obligation. 

If the penis creating sperm is a biological fact then I *really* wasn't paying attention in spud science. 

Identity issues that need psychiatric help probably fits in with Sarge pointing it it's Orange Walk season. 

9 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Transgender people aren't freed from financial obligation. 

If the penis creating sperm is a biological fact then I *really* wasn't paying attention in spud science. 

Identity issues that need psychiatric help probably fits in with Sarge pointing it it's Orange Walk season. 

Don't know what you are on about regarding "freed from financial obligation", neither do I particularly care.  Yeah you are correct there, I should have mentioned testicles crating sperm.  Still a transman won't be able to do that?  Can a transwoman create eggs? 

Don't know or care what your "Sarge" thinks.  

You cannot change biological fact. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

If it's not rocket science, you'll have no problem explaining what that actually means.

The question is very simple and it's interesting that it's provoking insults from some and circular arguments like yours here.

It's always a sign that those answering haven't the faintest idea what they are talking about.

You're at it. 

1 minute ago, Kenneth840 said:

Don't know what you are on about regarding "freed from financial obligation", neither do I particularly care.  Yeah you are correct there, I should have mentioned testicles crating sperm.  Still a transman won't be able to do that?  Can a transwoman create eggs? 

Don't know or care what your "Sarge" thinks.  

You cannot change biological fact. 

You were wittering on about something to do with electricity bills. No, a trans woman cannot create eggs. Many cis women cannot create eggs. 

It was a page back. 

My brother used have tonsils, and now he doesn't. His biological facts have changed. 

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If it's not rocket science, you'll have no problem explaining what that actually means.

The question is very simple and it's interesting that it's provoking insults from some and circular arguments like yours here.

It's always a sign that those answering haven't the faintest idea what they are talking about.

Well I am male, have a penis. 

Guess that gives me some idea?  

Just now, carpetmonster said:

You were wittering on about something to do with electricity bills. No, a trans woman cannot create eggs. Many cis women cannot create eggs. 

It was a page back. 

My brother used have tonsils, and now he doesn't. His biological facts have changed. 

But he is still male.