The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

Personally I see Dons1988s point as somewhat reflective of what my general position is.... Theres a lot to take in and understand, and a lot of people are going to need what some consider to be simple and clear cut points explained to them with patience if we are ever going gnto get anywhere.

Someone like Dons1988 is way, WAY down the list of obstacles for trans people to get the rights and respect they deserve since his point is basically that he recognises his own " hang ups" for want of a better phrase, but is also fully and completely aware that trans people don't deserve to be treated any differently to anyone else.

Folk need to stop insisting everyone else arrives at the exact same point as them in the exact same time. It doesn't work like that and people need to be given the chance to be educated from their individual starting point.

Personally I think we seem to forget that there are large swathes of people in Scotland who grew up in Intolerant places with intolerant people and little to no exposure to minorities or people of different creeds to themselves.

Anyway, this certianly going round in circles but I think, good for you if you have already wrapped your head around what it means to have trans people in society, but have some patience with others who haven't, unless they are displaying outright intolerance.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

People back away because you reduced the points being made to some Neanderthal male attitude of women being someone you want to shag. 

The point was clearly about the fact that I can’t in good conscience fully commit to the statement ‘trans women are women’ if push came to shove in my own personal experience. That means that in reality I do create a distinction between women and trans women. 

I don’t pretend to have the right to define what is or isn’t a woman, nor does my view invalidate anyones right to be anything. But the blanket statement I’ve alluded to, which seems to be a pre requisite for supporting trans rights, I don’t feel is appropriate for me. 

I'm the same.

In and of itself the phrase 'transwomen are women' is banal and meaningless. Nobody could either agree or disagree with it with any degree of surety unless the statement is expanded upon, given some context, and the person making the claim actually gives some indication of what they actually mean by 'transwomen are women'.

What is it you are saying by making that statement? Are you claiming that transwomen are a subgroup of all women in much the way that, say, tall women, black women, scottish women, or gay women are, or are you claiming that transwomen are actually biological women, or is it more that it's just a political statement intended to show support, solidarity with, and acceptance of trans people? Is it all of these things? Is it none of these things?

Once it's clear what is actually intended by making the statement, then people have the necessary ammunition to decide whether they agree or not. On it's own the statement is ambiguous, and I don't see how anyone could conclude that being unable to agree/disagree because of a lack of context makes someone a bigot. You can be fully accepting and supportive of transpeople, but still entirely disagree with the statement 'transwomen are women' depending on what, precisely, the person making the statement is claiming.

I don't see it as a major philosophical issue, just a matter of respecting how people feel about themselves. I'd imagine like most people on here, I don't think I've met a biological male who identifies as a woman, but I don't think I'd need to check if they'd had hormone treatment or surgery before treating them with normal respect for who they are. Some of the fishing from mainly right wing American trolls pretending to be trans lesbians and calling women bigots if they don't shag them has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams, they've created a twitter frenzy about something that few people will encounter in their daily lives, and leading to an already marginalised and tiny minority being vilified as scary monsters intent on invading women's toilets. 

Edited by welshbairn

I went to the Republic of Ireland to see how the gender self-declaration scheme works.

Scotland wants to base its new model largely on what’s been happening there – instead of a lengthy process involving medics, trans people can get a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) within weeks.

Out of a population of more than five million, 867 people in Ireland have legally changed their gender by self-declaration. A tiny number – but the impact of the legislation on the transgender community is vast.

Being able to have a passport, birth certificate, bank account in the correct name and gender stops trans people having to ‘out’ themselves when they’re travelling, or when they’re applying for things such as jobs and car insurance.

It also means their gender is recognised by the state, reducing incidents of discrimination and transphobia, which many people believe Scotland’s current model legitimises.  

But the most important part of this legislation is the element of self-determination. Not having to ‘prove’ who you are in front of a panel of experts, and instead being able to say who you are, has made life far easier for the Irish trans community. It’s created a greater sense of acceptance.

In Dublin, I spoke to a number of people. I could not find any evidence of the legislation leading to men falsely declaring themselves female to invade women-only spaces, as some feminist activists have feared.

For everyone who doesn’t need the rights contained in this act, life has continued as it always did. But for the people who need to exercise these rights, it’s been life-changing.

https://news.stv.tv/opinion/this-is-what-scotland-can-learn-from-irelands-gender-self-id-scheme

There's bound to be a group raging about being told to wash their hands.

I'd guess it's come up in the Covid thread, but there's no chance I'm wading in to find out.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'd guess it's come up in the Covid thread, but there's no chance I'm wading in to find out.

celtic fans. 

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

@oaksoft has changed optician, as his old one wanted him to wash his hands. Totally nanny state!

43 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There's a difference between a passive sign on a door and someone blocking your way and demanding something or they'll withhold the thing you've already partly paid for.

Ain't no OCD freakshow be tellin' ol' Oaky what to do without there being some goddam consequences yo.

This happened months ago, my decision was made and I'd forgotten all about it.

Not sure why you're bringing it up again.

Manky b*****d 

• 2 months later...
The sporting bodies have started ruling on transgender athletes in women’s competitions.
BBC SPORT

Can only agree with it tbh, the sporting advantages of male puberty/testosterone are just too numerous. The open category should gain traction, allowing anyone to compete.

The open category should be restricted to transphobes and fit as f**k trans athletes, just for the chortles

*I do realise that it wouldn't be very open

Edited by Cosmic Joe