The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

For the most part, probably. However if me or you were asked if we were pregnant, we’d probably reply ‘f**k, I hope not!’, laugh it off and forget about it 5 seconds later. The person in this photo is a trans man and *could* be pregnant. If a 2 second question was deemed not worthy of being asked and then something adverse happened to an unborn child, that would be much worse than either of us having to say ‘nah doc, just need to lay off the beers a bit’ while pointing at our gut. Even if only for saving taxpayers money on potential lawsuits, at the most basely cynical level. 

1AA12453-9D33-4D90-BA2C-F2FA0BE07D7E.jpeg

Just now, GAD said:

Is it not just a standard form they give everyone? 

More than likely. Javid could actually take the high ground and say they’re not going to waste money reprinting them but unfortunately we’ve got a culture war to fight to distract from them having made a ripsnorting c**t of *gestures broadly at everything*. 

23 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

For the most part, probably. However if me or you were asked if we were pregnant, we’d probably reply ‘f**k, I hope not!’, laugh it off and forget about it 5 seconds later. The person in this photo is a trans man and *could* be pregnant. If a 2 second question was deemed not worthy of being asked and then something adverse happened to an unborn child, that would be much worse than either of us having to say ‘nah doc, just need to lay off the beers a bit’ while pointing at our gut. Even if only for saving taxpayers money on potential lawsuits, at the most basely cynical level. 

1AA12453-9D33-4D90-BA2C-F2FA0BE07D7E.jpeg

Wonder if Buck has gone thru menopause? Hes about 50

40 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The only reason there's a "debate" is the obsession that the bigots have with genital inspection.

Next time I go to an ALBA conference I'm going to a have a boaby picture on my phone that I show to everyone within 30 feet before I go for a pish. They'll feel very reassured and appreciative of my efforts I'm quite sure. 

37 minutes ago, GAD said:

Is it not just a standard form they give everyone? 

At the dentist, yes but I've never filled in a form when I've been up for my hip X-ray every 6 weeks. 

I'm pretty sure that your gender at birth is recorded on your records so they would ask a trans man but not a man. Same as they would ask a woman but not a trans woman.

Seems straight forward enough. Common sense might be used.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

Utah has passed a bill effective July 1 bar legal challenges barring trans youth from competing in high school sports overriding a veto by governor Spencer Cox (R). Of 75k athletes a whopping four individuals are trans & Cox (R) cited the numbers of individuals, the 86% suicidality & 56% suicide attempt rate of trans youth in his veto letter. Cox is one of two Republican governors so far to buck the trend by vetoing such a bill the other being Eric Holcomb of Indiana.

Unfortunate surname on the Governor's part TBF tho. 

10 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

At the dentist, yes but I've never filled in a form when I've been up for my hip X-ray every 6 weeks. 

I'm pretty sure that your gender at birth is recorded on your records so they would ask a trans man but not a man. Same as they would ask a woman but not a trans woman.

Seems straight forward enough. Common sense might be used.

I know it's just a clumsy phrasing here, but trans men are men and trans women are women.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think in men practically all cases of high testosterone is due to taking steroids or other PEDs.  It's highly unusual to have clinically significant high testosterone without that.  It's a bit different in women, they often get higher testosterone levels due to medical conditions, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome.  Of course, if women take similar PEDs they will get higher levels though.  Athletes know how to mask the use of these drugs though. 

I don't really know how to deal with transgender athletes to be honest.  There is no solution that will keep everyone happy.

What about a completely separate category for transgender athletes? 

That way, women’s athletes aren’t disadvantaged by having to compete against biological males, and trans women aren’t unfairly misgendered by lumping them in with the men. Win-win situation. 

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

That way, women’s athletes aren’t disadvantaged by having to compete against biological males, and trans women aren’t unfairly misgendered by lumping them in with the men. Win-win situation. 

I'm against that on the principle that Trans Women are Women. I think in sport there is a more general conversation to be had over fairness. I think as I said before sport is inherently unfair with the people with the best genetics for that sport excel.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm against that on the principle that Trans Women are Women. I think in sport there is a more general conversation to be had over fairness. I think as I said before sport is inherently unfair with the people with the best genetics for that sport excel.

Technically you could just run a single instance of each sporting event and see who wins, right? The issue with that is that in most sports, it means that women and disabled men would never have a chance of winning anything. So we sub-categorise people into men and women (and further sub-categorise by able-bodied/disabled status) to increase the fairness of competitions and ensure that members of each category have a fair chance at success.

I fear that introducing transgender women into women’s sport risks removing this fair chance at success from cisgender women. 

On the contrary, a category is needed for trans men to give them that fair chance, because biologically they’re unlikely to be able to compete with cis men.

Literally this entire issue can be solved by giving transgender people their own separate category to compete with one another.

Outside of the sports debate, I see little need for a debate at all. The entire faux-outrage about assaults in the women’s toilet is just thinly veiled transphobia for me and while I have very little understanding and experience of the issues affecting trans people, I generally am of the belief that society should stay out of people’s private lives and allow them to live and express themselves in the way that they feel most comfortable with. For that reason, I think reducing the bureaucratic barriers associated with legally changing gender is a good thing so I support the self-identification principle that the SNP are looking to bring in. 

30 minutes ago, Donathan said:

A problem with that is that it, by its very nature, ‘others’ transgender athletes and transgender people more generally by extension.

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

A problem with that is that it, by its very nature, ‘others’ transgender athletes and transgender people more generally by extension.

You mean it creates a situation where cisgender athletes are considered the norm and trans athletes are outliers?

Doesnt the Paralympics do the same thing to disabled athletes? 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

You mean it creates a situation where cisgender athletes are considered the norm and trans athletes are outliers?

Doesnt the Paralympics do the same thing to disabled athletes? 

There's a fair few athletes have competed in both the Paralympics and the regular Olympics tho; Pistorius obvs being the most famous one. And it kinda goes against the common narrative of sport being a precious thing that brings us all together if you're sticking trans folks in their own wee colony. The way governing bodies are fannying about just now isn't really working for anyone tho