The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's ridiculous that Liz Truss got to appoint the leaders of EHCR. 

https://www.ier.org.uk/news/the-ehrc-is-becoming-a-political-instrument-former-chair-says/

P'.S. Make that all 13 commissioners, including the Scotland Commissioner.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

It’s a strange and very ideologically driven piece of legislation which doesn’t really have much popular support.

It’s not really an issue I care about and it’s largely an issue I stay away from because extremists on both sides of the discussion don’t allow any calm discussion to take place. 

If you think one thing then you are a women-hater but on the other hand you think something else you are a vile transphobe bigot. 

There has been no room for nuanced discussion so it’s a big waste of time and the issue will remain in perpetual abeyance.

Trump-like patter there.

Sometimes it's worth taking a moment to think about who wants to get on with their own lives, and who wants to stop others from doing so.

As a straight, white, heterosexual man, I feel it's exactly my place to tell transgender folks and / or women what's what. And if you don't agree with me, I'm afraid it's just because you're Hitler.

If the common stories about the führer’s undercarriage are to be believed then he was literally non-binary

In real life it's not something that I honestly think about that much, other than thinking that people should be allowed to live their lives as they like with the minimum of fuss. I only know (as far as I'm aware) a couple of Trans people and pretty much anyone CIS it's come up in conversation with has been largely the same, with some questions or concerns about things they don't really understand. 

Online it's obviously the debate de jour, and by being wrapped up in the very silly Cancel Culture war it's not really possible to ignore. The most notable of those against usually abandon their generally held principles or talking points (see Joanna Cherry this week suggesting that rises in reported hate crimes against Trans people  don't really matter as they are simply reported, not prosecuted) and, while in real life it's absolutely normal to have concerns or want to discuss it, online this is usually one step away from a reference to "men dressed as women" or some such. 

On the specifics of what's mentioned here there has been ample consultation on the GRA reform in Scotland, and anyone who sees the EHRC at this point as anything other than a cut out for the Tories' fighting the culture war hasn't been paying attention. 

I think there's about 20 countries in the world that allow Self ID for gender recognition. Seems very confusing to me that people think there will be a wave of violence against women by men in drag in Scotland when this passes but there's no evidence of that in other nations.

34 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

In real life it's not something that I honestly think about that much, other than thinking that people should be allowed to live their lives as they like with the minimum of fuss. I only know (as far as I'm aware) a couple of Trans people and pretty much anyone CIS it's come up in conversation with has been largely the same, with some questions or concerns about things they don't really understand. 

This has been my experience of the issue. Eye opening having a look at twitter.

The changing room/toilets worry is a complete nonsense. The local pool has uni sex changing and anytime theres a perv case, its an imature straight teen boy or a creepy middle aged man. 

Not sure how we regulate sports, thats a complex issue. 

I'm also not sure about prisons, that strikes me as something that needs a policy even though its tiny numbers affected. 

Your born Male or Female - that's your sex.

If you feel differently that's absolutely fine but doesn't change the biological fact of what your are.

People should be allowed to live their lifes however they chose but not have to very forcefully project their minority opinions on people as fact because of their feelings.

Example, i can say i'm the best footballer in the world, better than Ronaldo, i can believe what i want but it doesn't make it fact nor does that mean you need to adjust your behaviour to make me feel more comfortable.

Edited by red23

5 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The self awareness to realise that one’s opinion on a given topic isn’t necessarily valuable is a useful gift

Otherwise you can end up mansplaining womanhood to women

And that never ends well

FTFY

This is merely the latest thing for right-wing nutters to get on their soapbox about, folk like Linehan pretending he cares about "women's right", when in actual fact he just hates a group of people. Had he been older he probably would've been anti-gay too.

22 minutes ago, red23 said:

Your born Male or Female - that's your gender.

If you feel differently that's absolutely fine but doesn't change the biological fact of what your are.

People should be allowed to live their lifes however they chose but not have to very forcefully project their minority opinions on people as fact because of their feelings.

Example, i can say i'm the best footballer in the world, better than Ronaldo, i can believe what i want but it doesn't make it fact nor does that mean you need to adjust your behaviour to make me feel more comfortable.

So if you're born with a fanny but feel in every other way to be male, you should spend your whole life pretending to be a woman to stop people like you feeling uncomfortable?

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So if you're born with a fanny but feel in every other way to be male, you should spend your whole life pretending to be a woman to stop people like you feeling uncomfortable?

It's OK he said its absolutely fine.

That very specific " I don't mind what they do behind closed doors as long as it isn't shoved down my throat" kind of fine 

As a white, straight, heterosexual female, I wish those women rights groups would stop claiming to speak for all women.

The whole safe-space thing is nonsense. Gender-neutral spaces have existed for years - swimming pool changing areas, even when I was small, was mixed for example. Half the cafes, restaurants I go into these days have toilets that are a single cubicle or mixed use. Literally campaigning against things h that have been in place for years is just ridiculous. My gym even has mixed use changing rooms and showers ffs 🤣

It’s like said above, do they honestly think any predator is somehow put off because the wrong sign is on the door? “oh I can’t go attack that woman, she gone in the ladies”. Fucking imbeciles. 

Edited by Jambomo

Just now, Jambomo said:

As a white, straight, heterosexual female, I wish those women rights groups would stop claiming to speak for all women.

The whole safe-space thing is nonsense. Gender-neutral spaces have existed for years - swimming pools even when I was small was mixed for example, and half the cafes, restaurants I go into these days have toilets that are a single cubicle or mixed use. Literally campaigning against things h that have been in place for years is just ridiculous. My gym even has mixed use changing rooms and showers ffs 🤣

It’s like said above, do they honestly think any predator is somehow put off because the wrong sign is on the door? “oh I can’t go attack that woman, she gone in the ladies”. Fucking imbeciles. 

Wot U doin tmz nite bbz?