The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hi, I'm a heterosexual male and I am here to comment on issues that a) I know nothing about and b) have f**k all to do with me.

So you’re ok with a right wing government with authoritarian tendencies politicising equalities law for populist benefit because you won’t suffer?

1 hour ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

I am glad I do not know or work with any of these people.

Fear of the unknown must be the biggest source of hatred and contempt around.

Edited by welshbairn

I give this thread 72 hours before it's shut down.

This debate is so toxic and usually filled with people with big opinions on things that will literally never affect them (or almost anyone) other than a small marginalised group. And more importantly, it's more often than not debated by folk that don't have a fucking clue about the subject matter, and I include myself as a fully paid up member when it comes to being relatively ignorant about it. 

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

This debate is so toxic and usually filled with people with big opinions on things that will literally never affect them (or almost anyone) other than a small marginalised group. And more importantly, it's more often than not debated by folk that don't have a fucking clue about the subject matter, and I include myself as a fully paid up member when it comes to being relatively ignorant about it. 

Yep, a debate to not be touched with a barge pole. 

I don’t always agree with the tone of the debate from afar, including from activists, but ultimately all we’re trying to achieve here is that no one feels marginalised from society over personal issues they have no control over. 

That’s my ‘let’s all be friends’ meaningless view on the matter. 

41 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Just for what it’s worth, they’ve said this because they’re a bunch of Tories appointed by the Tories to ensure Tory policies are pushed. The Scottish Government plans have already been extremely widely consulted on and considered.

This is a decent thread on it. 

Good afternoon to ‘best faith’. Welcome to my muted words list. Say hello to gaslighting, straw man and cognitive dissonance.

The self awareness to realise that one’s opinion on a given topic isn’t necessarily valuable is a useful gift

Otherwise you can end up mansplaining womanhood to women

And that never ends well

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

As a straight, white, heterosexual man, I feel it's exactly my place to tell transgender folks and / or women what's what. And if you don't agree with me, I'm afraid it's just because you're Hitler.

Straight and heterosexual eh? Kinky

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

As a straight, white, heterosexual man, I feel it's exactly my place to tell transgender folks and / or women what's what

Graham you really shouldn't have done anything after you wrote Father Ted ;).

UK named alongside Russia and Poland for concern over 'extensive attacks' on LGBT+ rights

The Parliamentary Assembly expressed concern at the increase in hate speech, violence and hate crimes against LGBTI people in Council of Europe member States. “The scapegoating and violations of LGBTI people’s civil rights come to a large extent from political figures, including government representatives, as well as religious leaders,” the parliamentarians warned.

Adopting a resolution based on a report by Fourat Ben Chikha (Belgium, SOC), the Assembly strongly condemned “the extensive and often virulent attacks on the rights of LGBTI people for several years” notably in Hungary, Poland, the Russian Federation, Turkey and the United Kingdom, stressing that the significant advances achieved in recent years were today under threat.

During the debate, in which intervened the European Commissioner for Equality Helena Dalli, the parliamentarians deplored anti-gender narratives, which reduce the fight for the equality and rights of LGBTI people to what some conservative movements deliberately mis-characterise as “gender ideology” or “LGBTI ideology”.

Rights of LGBTI people: advances achieved are under threat, PACE says

52. In the United Kingdom, anti-trans rhetoric, arguing that sex is immutable and gender identities not valid,
has also been gaining baseless and concerning credibility, at the expense of both trans people’s civil liberties
and women’s and children’s rights. At the IDAHOT Forum 2021, the Minister for Equalities stated, in
contradiction with international human rights standards with respect to the rights of trans people, “We do not
believe in self-identification”. Such rhetoric – which denies trans identities – is being used to roll back the rights
of trans and non-binary people and is contributing to growing human rights problems. UK hate crime statistics
show a sharp increase in transphobic crimes since 2015 – though only 1 in 7 victims report them to an authority.
Online abuse is also rising, and many trans people fear for their safety.55 There is intense and ongoing social,
political and legal debate about what constitutes harmful discourse when it comes to trans people and their
rights, and arguments defending freedom of expression have been – and are still being – used as a tool to
justify transphobic rhetoric, further penalising and harming already marginalised trans people and
communities. It is also becoming increasingly difficult for individuals and organisations to publicly affirm young
trans people without being subject to hostility and disproportionate questioning from wider society. The
‘gender-critical’ movement, which wrongly portrays trans rights as posing a particular threat to cisgender
women and girls, has played a significant role in this process, notably since the 2018 public consultation on
updating the Gender Recognition Act 2004 for England and Wales. In parallel, trans rights organisations have
faced vitriolic media campaigns, in which trans women especially are vilified and misrepresented. The gendercritical campaign – which continues to gain momentum, power and financial support – has been instrumental
in creating a situation in which legal gender recognition processes still require a clinical diagnosis of gender
dysphoria, and remain inaccessible to non-binary people and anyone under 18. There is also a concerning,
growing account of parents who (due to difficulties in accessing timely public health care) pursue private health
care on behalf of their child, being investigated by State authorities. Trans healthcare is also being erroneously
portrayed as a form of LGB conversion therapy.56
53. Such anti-trans narratives, wrongly portraying trans rights as a threat to women and to others’ rights and
insisting on binary categorisations of sex and gender that do not correspond to lived realities, are becoming
increasingly pervasive in Europe. Effective criminal and anti-discrimination legislation are more crucial than
ever in this context. As politicians, we must listen to trans people and their organisations, educate ourselves
about their situation and rights, empower them, and urgently re-set the agenda and narratives, so that debates
are reframed to correspond to complex realities rather than catchy but simplistic slogans. Trans people have
a right to recognition before the law, to protection of their private and family lives, to freedom from
discrimination, and to safety and security, as do all people; it is our responsibility to make these rights a reality.

https://assembly.coe.int/LifeRay/EGA/Pdf/TextesProvisoires/2021/20210921-RisingHateLGBTI-EN.pdf

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Do you think the Bible Belt fanatics managed to infiltrate the EHRC as well?

Just the regular Conservative Party as virtually everyone who's been paying attention has been pointing out for several years now. 

20 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

As a straight, white, heterosexual man, I feel it's exactly my place to tell transgender folks and / or women what's what. And if you don't agree with me, I'm afraid it's just because you're Hitler.

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Straight and heterosexual eh? Kinky

It's like going Super Saiyan.