The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

Call for rethink of Scottish gender recognition reforms https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-60141382

The Equality and Human Rights Commission has told the Scottish Government that more detailed consideration is needed with regards to Scots Govs plan for gender recognition reforms.

Unsure if there was already a thread for this but it’s a topic that often crops up from time to time on the forum.

The reforms have stirred up controversy, with woman’s rights groups, politicians and celebrities opposing the bill. They say the reforms will put the safety of women at risk amongst other concerns. Supporters of the bill say the fears women hold are unfounded. I don’t really know what to make of it all but I’d be interested to see what the folks of P&B think about this and the wider discussion on gender related matters.

It’s a strange and very ideologically driven piece of legislation which doesn’t really have much popular support.

It’s not really an issue I care about and it’s largely an issue I stay away from because extremists on both sides of the discussion don’t allow any calm discussion to take place. 

If you think one thing then you are a women-hater but on the other hand you think something else you are a vile transphobe bigot. 

There has been no room for nuanced discussion so it’s a big waste of time and the issue will remain in perpetual abeyance.

Just now, 101 said:

There is absolutely nothing to stop a predator walking into a public toilet or changing facility which appears to be the main hand ringing claim.

Allowing people to easily change how they identify will not increase the risk of assault and will improve the lives of some of the most marginalised and abused people in society. 

Forgive me if you don't think people ardently opposed to this are bigots but I don't think there is another more suitable word.

Ok pal

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

All ears for what women's groups have raised concerns.

Please note AstroTurf funded by dark money from the American religious right don't count. 

Do you think the Bible Belt fanatics managed to infiltrate the EHRC as well?

Edited by Thorongil

13 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

It’s a strange and very ideologically driven piece of legislation which doesn’t really have much popular support.

It’s not really an issue I care about and it’s largely an issue I stay away from because extremists on both sides of the discussion don’t allow any calm discussion to take place. 

If you think one thing then you are a women-hater but on the other hand you think something else you are a vile transphobe bigot. 

There has been no room for nuanced discussion so it’s a big waste of time and the issue will remain in perpetual abeyance.

You could say that about a lot of threads on P&B...

28 minutes ago, 101 said:

These people are trotting out the same shit you can see spouted before being a Gay man was acceptable.

They were bigots then they are bigots now.

You could pretty much end the thread here tbh. However I congratulate @jamamafegan on creating a useful herding pen for beardy incels, AlbaDas and various other bigots to come in and post up utterly fake concerns over rapists dressing as women to get into women's toilets. 

29 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

You've just described all discussion of late 

42 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The Equality and Human Rights Commission has told the Scottish Government that more detailed consideration is needed with regards to Scots Govs plan for gender recognition reforms.

Just for what it’s worth, they’ve said this because they’re a bunch of Tories appointed by the Tories to ensure Tory policies are pushed. The Scottish Government plans have already been extremely widely consulted on and considered.

This is a decent thread on it. 

The facts

The proposed reforms will not change any rights that trans people who have legally changed gender have or will have.

The reforms relax some criteria about how that legal change happens so that it takes less time and doesn’t require approval from a full panel. Third party professional approval will still be needed and there will still be an effective 6 month (down from 2 year) holding period.

The EHrc is a UK government body and this is a devolved matter. 

The Scottish Government says that the EHrc consists of political appointees and has been consulted twice already. The legislation will go through consultation and debate before it is passed, if it is passed.

The EHrc says that the govt needs to give more consideration to people’s concerns and safeguarding.

my opinion is that the EHrc is at it and this is a high profile dead cat/operation red meat manoeuvre on behalf of cronies with Westminster interests. This will really froth up the gammon judging by the state it got Nick Robinson in on the radio this morning. 

So we’ve had immigrant bashing (sink them!), hitting the unemployed (get on your bike) and now trolling the woke.  Trade unions and single mothers still needed for a full house.

Edited by coprolite
Wrong initials right through. What a moron