St Mirren vs Kelty Hearts, 12.02.22 k/o TBD

Coventry Saint

Intriguing tie here after Kelty's exploits in the last round, managing the kind of result against the Perth Saints that we typically find elusive.

Got to be honest, I've not really paid much attention to Kelty; I didn't even realise Tam O'Ware was playing for them. What a c**t that guy is. I hope he gets a fitting reception at SMP.

Spoiler

Cairters Corner a Twitter: "Morton on derby goal celebrations: Tam O'Ware  making a throat slit gesture to Saints fans - Banter, take a joke & lighten  up. Big Tam is the man,

Looking over the rest of their team, it's clear why they're sauntering that league and why they showed up against the Fakes: several guys (Tidser, Austin, Higginbotham, Cardle) that could be getting Championship gigs, IMO.

Not sure what the conditions of Daniel Finlayson's loan to Kelty are, but I'd assume he won't be available.

All that being said, we really ought to have too much for them here. Our B team put Kelty out the kid-on cup on penalties earlier in the season, brief report below. That really was a B team from us - only Reid usually gets anywhere near our bench:

https://www.stmirren.com/match-reports/4065-match-report-st-mirren-b-kelty-hearts

I think it'll be a great, close game. One goal in it either way, and I think we'll concede. I'm going 2-1 Saints.

Intriguing tie here after Kelty's exploits in the last round, managing the kind of result against the Perth Saints that we typically find elusive.
Got to be honest, I've not really paid much attention to Kelty; I didn't even realise Tam O'Ware was playing for them. What a c**t that guy is. I hope he gets a fitting reception at SMP.
Spoiler

DbYBgC0WsAAZ8Wr?format=jpg&name=large

Looking over the rest of their team, it's clear why they're sauntering that league and why they showed up against the Fakes: several guys (Tidser, Austin, Higginbotham, Cardle) that could be getting Championship gigs, IMO.
Not sure what the conditions of Daniel Finlayson's loan to Kelty are, but I'd assume he won't be available.
All that being said, we really ought to have too much for them here. Our B team put Kelty out the kid-on cup on penalties earlier in the season, brief report below. That really was a B team from us - only Reid usually gets anywhere near our bench:

https://www.stmirren.com/match-reports/4065-match-report-st-mirren-b-kelty-hearts
I think it'll be a great, close game. One goal in it either way, and I think we'll concede. I'm going 2-1 Saints.

Quite a different Kelty side next month. Only 3 of those in the cup game started on Saturday.

1 hour ago, crowie said:

Quite a different Kelty side next month. Only 3 of those in the cup game started on Saturday.

Cheers, I was hoping someone would fill that gap in. 

Is that because the squad has improved overall, or were you rotating for that cup game?

19 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Kallum Higginbotham more of an areshole IMO. Tam O'Ware is harmless and hopeless. 

Cheers, I was hoping someone would fill that gap in. 
Is that because the squad has improved overall, or were you rotating for that cup game?

Definitely rotation and possibly a few missing.

It was in fact only 2 starters from Saturdays starting 11, didn’t notice DJ was on bench and Donaldson started.

Usual/strongest 11 would be

Jamieson

Philp/Finlayson
O’Ware
Forster
Ngwenya

Tidser
Barjonas
Philp/Black

Cardle
Austin
Higginbotham

I see Kelty are running free busses to Paisley for their fans. What kind of travelling support can we expect? I remember we played Broxburn Athletic in the cup a few years ago and they brought 1600 and sold out the stand behind the goal. The same again would make for a good atmosphere.

We've drawn the lowest ranked team left in the competition at home in the last 16, we couldn't have picked a better tie. Losing in Paisley to a League 2 side at this stage of the competition is the stuff nightmares are made of and would be one of the worst results in our history.

However cup shocks happen, as Kelty have shown us, and that's more of a lower end Championship squad than a League 2 one. It won't be easy but i think we will have enough to scrape through.

1-0

Fraser '89

2 hours ago, Lex said:

We've drawn the lowest ranked team left in the competition at home in the last 16, we couldn't have picked a better tie. Losing in Paisley to a League 2 side at this stage of the competition is the stuff nightmares are made of and would be one of the worst results in our history.

However cup shocks happen, as Kelty have shown us, and that's more of a lower end Championship squad than a League 2 one. It won't be easy but i think we will have enough to scrape through.

1-0

Fraser '89

Kelty have sold a fair few tickets for this, so far. One of the two sections they have is 85% sold out, and they've  sold around 65% in the other one:

1887727286_Screenshot2022-02-0621_49_56.png.ab3c5c6bf4321fe3ab56e19509ee2310.png

So my guesstimate is they have sold ~450 tickets for this game. Hopefully they'll sell some more before Saturday comes.

I didn’t realise that Tidser and O’Ware ended up with Kelty.

Strange to think that after securing our return to the top flight in 2018, our soon to be departing manager Jack Ross had made O’Ware an offer to sign for us. Then after Ross did leave for Sunderland O’ware changed his mind and signed for Partick.

Thank f**k for that bullet dodged.😉

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Anwick needed treatment on Wednesday so might be rested, McCarthy on the bench last 2 games might get a start ahead of Dunne and Erhahon should come in if Gogic is unavailable.

I don't see many other changes from the last couple of games.

Tanser possibly in for Tait as well.

We cannae afford not to take this mob seriously. I love the Cup - it's our only chance to win a trophy, and after missing out on Hampden last season I really want us to get there again this season.

We cannae afford not to take this mob seriously. I love the Cup - it's our only chance to win a trophy, and after missing out on Hampden last season I really want us to get there again this season.
Don't think there's the slightest chance of us not taking them seriously. Jim will have them telt.