CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY

lichtie23

Suppose bad Jimmy had to turn up for 4 quarters eventually. Dreadful performance tonight but got way beyond where I thought we would with a poor QB and no secondary. Jimmy will be gone in the summer and have to hope Lance is better than I think he is or it could be a long time before we are back here. 

Edited by Jute

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Deebo sitting there in tears on the sideline. He absolutely balled out this season. 

He did, absolutely. If he had a QB that was competent at passing I have no doubt he could have kept pace with Kupp for yardage.

I'd imagine the 9ers will renew his contract this offseason, and he'll obviously get a huge contract.

2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Silver linings an all, surely there will be no more silly talk of the 9ers keeping Garropolo for his final year. Just need to get maximum trade value for him now.

What’s that going to be though? A 4th rounder??

Just now, lichtie23 said:

What’s that going to be though? A 4th rounder??

After that ending to the season I wouldn't expect much more than a low 2nd/high 3rd. Hopes were a superbowl win would make a QB desperate team bite with a low 1st (with a 2nd or 3rd in compensation), but that will never happen after that absolutely embarassing shit show. We've managed to get good value in the lower draft rounds recently as well. Deebo was 2nd round, Mitchell was 6th round.

The major benefit of trading Garropolo though is getting a huge chunk of cap space back. There are a lot of good players looking like they'll go into free agency, and some areas of weakness we can improve to build the squad around Lance.

Suppose bad Jimmy had to turn up for 4 quarters eventually. Dreadful performance tonight but got way beyond where I thought we would with a poor QB and no secondary. Jimmy will be gone in the summer and have to hope Lance is better than I think he is or it could be a long time before we are back here. 
5 or 6 weeks into the season i never thought we would get near the playoffs, never mind a Championship game. Secondary needs a lot of work, whether that comes by way of the draft, free agency or trade.

26 minutes ago, Jute said:

I think it's inevitable next season will be up-and-down; presuming we go with Lance.

I quite like the thought of bringing Rodgers in for a year, but the trade would be a difficult one to accomplish. Also need to mindful of the fact that even with JG off the books and having around $28M of cap space, a big chunk of that will go to paying Samuel and Bosa.

The streak had to end sometime...

Absolutely gutting and yet no real surprises to read what is meant to have happened on the final few drives for the 49ers. The offense has a lot of talent to work with. Deebo, Kittle, an emerging Aiyuk and a decent WR3 in Jennings. Jimmy G just isn't the guy to get it done. He is a very likeable guy as can clearly be seen with the comments from the likes of Kittle and Deebo, but it's time to move on. The offence starts (and ends) with the QB and he's just not getting it done.

The 49ers are up against the cap this off season and getting Jimmy's $25 million dollars will go a long way to retaining the likes of Bosa and Samuel. There's also a lot of guys on 1 year deals that will need to be looked at. The secondary desperately needs reinforcing and the OL could do with being improved. Losing Laken Tomlinson would be tough. Oh, and the Niners don't have a first round pick this year. Ugh.

Some questions again of Shanahan though? Another Q4 lead and it slips away dramatically. Punting on 4th and 2 when the game is on the line is perhaps a bit too conservative?

I'm off to cry into my shredded wheat.

Jimmy G's QB rating in the 4th quarter - 4.2. The lowest QB rating in the 4th quarter of the playoffs for the last 30 years.

If the Niners get a 3rd round for him they will be doing well. 

Edited by RiG

Whilst Jimmy G getting stick is correct the niners defense in that 4th quarter have to take some of the flak for that loss.

But wasn't it tremendous to see Super Patrick's face at ft and who said drafting a kicker was a waste ? 🤣

The 49ers just fell apart in the 4th. Defense dropped a big ones, the play calling by being conservative and punting and the QB play as well. All added up. Feel for Deebo who was terrific this season, equally as good as Kupp was. 

The Rams showed the value in trading for Stafford and getting him out of the mess in Detroit. He had decent stats but was in a poor team. I do wonder who is gonna be trading for Garopollo?

Just watched the recording of the second half. If Tartt catches that ball, the entire 49ers narrative, including that of Jimmy G, changes. After he drops that, the 49ers pretty much shat the bed. The fifteen yards for the helmet to helmet hit on a clearly going-down OBJ? The punting on 4th & 2? The abysmal final two 49ers posessions? If only Tartt catches the damn football.

Watched the second half this morning, piss poor really, not just Jimmy G but the defense was poor too, dropping that INT was bad but the helmet to helmet right afterwards was when I had a feeling it was going down the toilet. Ah well, never expected to be anywhere near this game and now.

Mon the Bengals.

As a Bucs fan, these games and results just rub salt into the wounds of a piss poor first half last week.

The opportunity to get through the playoffs playing at home, and avoiding Buffalo, KC and Green Bay in the process, yet decided to stink the house out for 3 quarters instead 😭

Jimmy G's QB rating in the 4th quarter - 4.2. The lowest QB rating in the 4th quarter of the playoffs for the last 30 years.

If the Niners get a 3rd round for him they will be doing well. 
Fact is they got to the Championship game despite Jimmy G, rather than because of him. He has 4 good targets in Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings and Kittle, but hasn't had a +100 passer rating since the Falcons game in week 16. In the 5 games since then he threw 4 TDs and 7 picks. Sadly, when the pressure was on in the 4th quarter, it went exactly as most of us expected.

He did well to get rid of the ball a couple of times to avoid getting sacked early in the game, but he has been playing long enough to know that with a minute odd left and on 3rd down you just take the sack and make sure you have 1 last chance to make a play.

Who knows if Lance will be any better, but he will be able to use his legs better to run the ball, something that just wasn't an option for Jimmy.

I do have a lot of sympathy for Jimmy. When he first came in to replace Beathard and co he did look the part, 5-0 from his first 5 starts with a struggling team was impressive. The contract the 49ers stumped up for the following year was ludicrous though, but that gets pinned on Lynch rather than Jimmy. He then tears his ACL, and although he wasn't the most mobile QB before the injury, he was virtually static after it. Other injuries since then haven't helped either. Fact remains though that the 49ers record with him in the team was far better than any of his backups and immediate predecessors could manage.