Missing people.

5 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I remember hearing on a podcast that when the police release statements from psychics, it’s either because

a) The psychic is one of the suspects or, more usually,

b) There is no psychic, but they need to protect the identity of their actual source.
Jimmy the Snitch telling them that Mad Dog Malone has thrown the body in the canal is released as a psychic “seeing” a large man with a scar on his cheek driving a dark saloon car near water.

I've heard this as well, dunno how true it is though but it definitely sounds plausible.

I'd have given you extra points had you replaced Jimmy the Snitch with Frankie the Squealer though.

Psychics are just fraudsters who prey on the most vulnerable in society. The recently bereaved and the families of missing people are some of their prime targets. They need jailing IMO.
There’s been a lot of good fun made of these charlatans in recent years, but this classic remains my favourite:

For anyone who thinks psychics are “harmless”, look into the Amanda Berry story

https://abcnews.go.com/US/amanda-berrys-mom-told-pyschic-sylvia-browne-berry/story?id=19126853

May 7, 2013— -- A year after Amanda Berry disappeared in Cleveland, her mother appeared on "The Montel Williams Show" to speak to a psychic about what happened to her daughter.

Psychic Sylvia Browne, who has made a career of televised psychic readings, told Louwanna Miller on a 2004 episode of the show that her daughter was dead, causing Miller to break down in tears on the show's set.

"She's not alive, honey," Browne told Miller on the show, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper. "Your daughter's not the kind who wouldn't call."

Miller told the newspaper that she believed "98 percent" in what Browne told her. Miller died a year later from heart failure.

On Monday, Berry was found alive after she broke free from a home in Cleveland where she says she has been kept for the past decade.

Edited by Funky Nosejob

1 hour ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I remember hearing on a podcast that when the police release statements from psychics

I've never heard police release statements from psychics. If this does happen, why aren't they just fucking laughed at? 

Fairly sure @SlipperyP is some sort of performance artist, and his appearances on p&b are akin to yon time Joaquin Phoenix was interviewed about his rap career.

There was a young lad (14) who went missing a year or so ago from the west end of Aberdeen. Afaik he hasn't been found despite a fairly robust search. I can't imagine what his family must still be going through. Imagine having to just carry on with your life knowing only that your wee boy is missing, but not knowing anything more. 

+1 for the psychics are wretched vote here. I went to the spiritualist church a couple of times (work reasons) and I was quietly seething/cringing listening to the "readings". Fair enough if you buy into it and it gives you comfort, but i found it perplexingly cynical.

Frankly, it's about time people stopped referring to psychics by that title - psychics don't exist. These people are con artists, and don't deserve to be able to practice their immoral grift under the veil of pseudo-respectability afforded by the label.

TV programmes that invite them on are culpable, unless preceded with, "here's some vicious old scumbag who wants to profiteer from grief - before we let them advertise their 'services', let's see if the spirits can tell them where we've imprisoned their family".