Motherwell vs Aberdeen

lubo_blaha

A cup fixture which brings back fond memories of Rory Fallon turning into prime Batistuta, Keith Lasley poleaxing Fraser Fyvie, Curtis Main bulldozing a makeshift Dons defence at Hampden and Niall McGinn scoring a late equaliser in front of just 6000 (including an oompah band) at Pittodrie. For the third time in recent years, the two sides will play back to back cup and league games at Fir Park:

2011/12

Scottish Cup 11th March Motherwell 1-2 Aberdeen

League 17th March Motherwell 1-0 Aberdeen

2017/18

League Cup 21st September Motherwell 3-0 Aberdeen

League 24th September Motherwell 0-1 Aberdeen

2021/22

Scottish Cup 12th/13th February ???

League 19th February ???

The league cup game is the best performance I’ve seen from a Motherwell team in my short time, we absolutely took Aberdeen to the cleaners that night. This one could go either way although we’re pretty decent at home this season. Just wiping the smug smile off rat face Scott Brown with another win would be lovely thanks.

Aye that 3-0 league cup game was tremendous. We absolutely battered lumps out of Aberdeen that night. 

However I would like to put on record that I am really fucking bored of our cup draws. It's either Hearts, Aberdeen or Greenock fucking Morton. The only time we got a fun draw was Formartine when we were all stuck in the house. 

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

However I would like to put on record that I am really fucking bored of our cup draws. It's either Hearts, Aberdeen or Greenock fucking Morton. The only time we got a fun draw was Formartine when we were all stuck in the house. 

100% this. A cup game against Aberdeen is always a decent enough occasion but I get bizarre jealousy of teams that get away games at Alloa or Stenhousemuir etc, (never mind random junior or lowland/highland league teams) in the early rounds - we just get Premiership teams or b*****ding Morton.

At the start of any season, I would genuinely choose an away game against Montrose in January over qualifying for Europe (I think I'm right in saying that we've only played Montrose twice in our history and that was in a single season over 50 years ago). I'm still gutted that I couldn't make the re-arranged game against Inverurie locos a few years back too...

I’ve had a fair number of great days/nights out in Motherwell at Cup ties, and one in particular sh*t night. Not the draw either team would probably have chosen, and I don’t think that I’ve been at Fir Park since that horrendous League Cup night, so looking forward to a good cup tie.

3 minutes ago, big al said:

When do the tv channels make their selections?

I think we can be safe in the knowledge that Premier Sports have already picked their games...

We'll find out BBC's picks by the end of the week, I think.

35 minutes ago, big al said:

When do the tv channels make their selections?

I'd assume sometime this week. Could be next week but I doubt they would take that long.

I think the Arboth vs Hibs is a stick on for the BBC but the Hearts game could be picked instead of our game. And I'm pretty sure the BBC only have 2 picks for this round.

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I'd assume sometime this week. Could be next week but I doubt they would take that long.

I think the Arboth vs Hibs is a stick on for the BBC but the Hearts game could be picked instead of our game. And I'm pretty sure the BBC only have 2 picks for this round.

Ok cheers

Hoping this game is picked as can’t make 3pm on the Saturday.

On 24/01/2022 at 10:09, well fan for life said:

Aye that 3-0 league cup game was tremendous. We absolutely battered lumps out of Aberdeen that night. 

Agreed! I was hoping to get drawn away to Kelty or Clydebank (had they made it through).

Peterhead beating Dundee is one I've got an eye on for an upset so maybe we'll get them should we make the next round.

Interesting (and also great) that they've ignored the game for TV.

The Arbroth game was a no-brainer as it's probably the most interesting tie of the round and I actually think (in a non-patronising way) that Peterhead is a good choice as getting a live TV game from their place can't happen that often and I'd happily watch that too.

18 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

How likely is it that AFC will get the full stand behind the goals? I think we'll take somewhere in the region of 2500 to 3000 to this game.

Other than the section cordoned off for the players to get to the temporary away dressing rooms, it's pretty much guaranteed 

18 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

How likely is it that AFC will get the full stand behind the goals? I think we'll take somewhere in the region of 2500 to 3000 to this game.

Aberdeen always get the full stand behind the goals, expect them to fill most of it like they have done in the past. 

17 hours ago, Swello said:

Other than the section cordoned off for the players to get to the temporary away dressing rooms, it's pretty much guaranteed 

Could be fun if Aberdeen gets beat and they return to their temporary away dressing room