What's Cup: the EOS League Cup 2021-22

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Aye made a meal of that. You can't finish top, plus you seem to actually be eliminated as I don't see how fewer than 4 other groups can end-up without 2nd having at least 7pts and GD better than -2. Yer oot.

😢

We’ll cancel the open top bus in the morning 😂.

Well that was jolly good fun and excitement.

I'll generate tables shortly, but I suspect people's immediate interest is probably "who has qualified" and "who are the 4 best runners-up"; and with that in mind it appears to me:

Group winners
A     Armadale/Glenrothes/Jeanfield
B     LTHV
C     Sauchie
D     Edinburgh College/Dundonald/Inverkeithing
E      Broxburn
F      Crossgates/Hill of Beath/Arniston
G     Haddington
H     Whitehill
I       Tranent
J       Linlithgow/Luncarty
K     Whitburn
L      Kirkcaldy & Dysart

Best runners-up
         Syngenta                    (10pts)
         Leith                              (9pts, +9)
         Penicuik                      (9pts, +8)
         Bo'ness Athletic     (9pts, +7)*

latest?cb=20180701123049

*unless you think Arniston will lose to Crossgates, but beat Edinburgh South and Hill of Beath while improving their GD by 5 or 6 on top of whatever they lost to Crossgates by

i-consider-it-highly-unlikely-its-not-po

Edited by HibeeJibee

Scenarios for unfinished groups:

Group A
Armadale        need Glenrothes not to win at Jeanfield plus Jeanfield to take fewer than 4pts from Glenrothes and Thornton
Glenrothes     need to win at Jeanfield
Jeanfield          need to avoid losing to Glenrothes plus take at least 4pts from them and Thornton

Group D
Edinburgh College    need Dundonald v Inverkeithing to end drawn
Dundonald                     need to beat Inverkeithing
Inverkeithing                need to win at Dundonald

Group F
there are still numerous scenarios in this group

Group J
Linlithgow     need to avoid losing at Luncarty
Luncarty         need to beat Linlithgow

53 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'll generate the tables shortly, but I suspect people's immediate interest is probably "who has qualified" and "who are the 4 best runners-up"; and with that in mind it appears to me answers are:

latest?cb=20180701123049

i-consider-it-highly-unlikely-its-not-po

No "whens the draw" :P

Good game and 3 nil win at the Volunteer Park, Armadale today, obviously despite being in a lower league the Dale are way above the Tweedmouth level, 4 games against higher ranking teams and undefeated, 2 draws which we should have won to be fair, if we don't qualify hey-ho always next year, onwards and upwards, maybe 😎

Armadale Thistle 3-0 Tweedmouth Rangers

Thornton Hibs                         are eliminated
  Tweedmouth Rangers        are eliminated

Armadale did the necessary, but damage had already been done in earlier weeks of this pool. Hopes rest on Jeanfield v Glenrothes ending drawn and Jeanfield not then beating Thornton, or Jeanfield winning but then losing to Thornton.

image.png.6fbfc922be2bfff33504e5bc6c865c31.png

Bathgate Thistle 0-5 Lothian Thistle HV
Preston Athletic 1-0 Stirling University EOS

Lothian Thistle HV                  have qualified
  Bathgate Thistle                       are eliminated
  Preston Athletic                       are eliminated
  Stirling University EOS        are eliminated

LTHV won their section with a game spare, through a comfortable performance in darkest West Lothian. Preston had been pinning their hopes on a shock but themself needed a late winner.

image.png.30af148de788d3c17ddaffcbfcc6290a.png

Bo'ness Athletic 3-0 St Andrews United

St Andrews United        are eliminated

This was a shootout for 2nd, and good prospects of a best runners-up place that would be improved by several goals. Hosts proved capable of it: only an Arniston sensation could deny them.

image.png.8582c420b6c53f07edad9475a5cbdebf.png

Newburgh 0-3 Edinburgh College

This has proven an astonishing tournament for lowly Edinburgh College, and they actually end their program in a shape to progress. Dundonald v Inverkeithing dedicer ending drawn will do it.

image.png.d3ff48feef61df34493a2d17757f8b4f.png

Fauldhouse United 6-2 Craigroyston
Leith Athletic 1-2 Broxburn Athletic

Broxburn Athletic        have qualified
  Leith Athletic                  have qualified

Took in this encounter. On paper both sides should have been well content to settle for a draw - but the hosts led early in 2nd half from a cross ball prodded in, before visitors equalised from a penalty rebound, then secured win with a header from a scramble. Leith ultimately make it through anyway.

image.png.dd47e6df7f9bb1372a9be06d0425af8a.png

Crossgates Primrose 1-1 Hill of Beath Hawthorn
Edinburgh South 0-2 Livingston United

Edinburgh South        are eliminated

Haws led this derby at HT but were ultimately pegged-back by Primrose. This leaves the section fairly open, although Crossgates are in driving seat finishing at home to Arniston. Edinburgh South blew their own chances by losing.

image.png.215b675a94b98701a5f00cce6ce19b99.png

Haddington Athletic 2-1 Musselburgh Athletic
Pumpherston 2-3 Lochgelly Albert

Heriot-Watt University        are eliminated
  Musselburgh Athletic            are eliminated

Haddington knew only a win could suffice: and that's exactly what they delivered before a bumper East Lothian crowd. That whimpering sound you can hear is Musselburgh's season ending.

image.png.3e5fe04d8ed29bda79e4237b69170be2.png

Dunbar United 1-1 Whitehill Welfare
Kennoway Star Hearts 0-0 Stoneyburn

Whitehill Welfare                  have qualified
  Dunbar United                          are eliminated
  Kennoway Star Hearts        are eliminated
  Stoneyburn                                 are eliminated

This cup month has proven welcome respite for beleagured Whithill, so an early lead that Dunbar could only draw back even sees them into knockouts. Kennoway end unbeaten but unable.

image.png.6e1c8969c492777d25c57d52092701bc.png

Lochore Welfare 2-1 Camelon
Tranent (ten) 10-0 Hawick RAU

Syngenta        have qualified
  Tranent           have qualified

Tranent would have been content with any win but a large haul would secure kudos of topping the section. They led by 'only' 3 of the required 7 at HT but an avalanche after the break did it. Camelon have had a nightmare time.

image.png.fa5ea301b6ba8c734e7a1a5ff51b4930.png

Linlithgow Rose 2-1 West Calder United
Luncarty 0-0 Blackburn United

Dalkeith Thistle                 are eliminated
  West Calder United        are eliminated

Rose hobbled to a win at Prestonfield. Dalkeith may lead - but cannot progress. Luncarty's inability to win today means Linlithgow carry the advantage of only needing to draw their decider. Premier outfit Blackburn contrive to finish bottom of entire section.

image.png.319b248f50fcba91a33145aad91627a1.png

Oakley United 0-2 Penicuik Athletic
Whitburn (ten) 10-3 Peebles Rovers

Penicuik Athletic        have qualified

Whitburn                         have qualified
  Oakley United              are eliminated

This was an entertaining pool to follow over the afternoon as Whitburn sought to whittle away then pass Penicuik's lead on GD by devastating hapless Peebles. They did: but Rookie Cookie make it through anyway.

image.png.60b0521f48d4dcc0409c9f8c559753f4.png

Easthouses Lily 3-3 Kirkcaldy & Dysart
Tynecastle 2-2 Kinnoull

Kirkcaldy & Dysart        have qualified
  Kinnoull                                are eliminated
  Tynecastle                           are eliminated

Easthouses did their best to open a door for Tynecastle or Kinnoull, repeatedly dragging back Kirkcaldy to level pegging - with the risk of landing a winner. However that pair slit each others throats anyway, as Kinnoull fought-back from 2 down.

image.png.78c048a541bc594a017b88d1d226555d.png

image.png.418e31dd32f0f3a2eef1a302e6e4961a.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

Why have arniston only played 1 game when everyone else are either finished or only 1 to play?

Derby at humbug park was feisty from the first whistle,  Tough game to referee, both sides were leaning on him heavily and he had quite a few big calls to make.    Gave a 50/50 decision to the haws for their penalty and rejected a few others for both sides that were close calls. All seemed to happen in the box furthest from where I was standing 🤷 potential red card just before the primrose goal but that haws were unhappy with when one of their players went down waiting on the throw but nobody around me knew what happened and I think the ref/linesman were of the same thought, deciding to just give both players a telling off.

Draw felt the right result but both sides probably feel like they deserved the win if not for missed chances or rub of the green with refs decisions.

Primrose missing a few players but didn’t show too much,  haws didn’t at all look like they have been fighting relegation this year, 

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Why have arniston only played 1 game when everyone else are either finished or only 1 to play?

Their games #1, #2 and #4 were off for waterlogging, outbreak in their squad and outbreak in their opponents respectively.

They host Edinburgh South this Wednesday; visit Crossgates next Wednesday.