Doing a Davidson

37 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah there was just a sense of malaise about the club that whole time. Part of that was some dreadful managerial appointments though and Calderwood and Butcher in particular were dreadful. Mixu and to an extent Fenlon at least seemed to have a clue but weren't really good enough either. 

What I never understood was when Calderwood was approached to be an assistant down south whilst at Hibs (Nottingham Forrest?) and Petrie rejected it with some decent compo being offered. Hibs we’re doing utter shite at the time iirc then they sacked him 2 months later.

54 minutes ago, gannonball said:

What I never understood was when Calderwood was approached to be an assistant down south whilst at Hibs (Nottingham Forrest?) and Petrie rejected it with some decent compo being offered. Hibs we’re doing utter shite at the time iirc then they sacked him 2 months later.

I think that was in the summer and he was then sacked in November but could be wrong. Most would have let him go at any rate

3 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

Looking back at that period the team I think most affected by the presence of all us 3 kicking about the championship was definitely queen of the south . That team they had from the first season was a great team who would have coasted to promotion under more normal circumstances 

Nah, Falkirk where the best of the rest by miles.   Goosed with unforeseen circumstances 20 years after not being allowed in due to stadium rules, 

9 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Nah, Falkirk where the best of the rest by miles.   Goosed with unforeseen circumstances 20 years after not being allowed in due to stadium rules, 

Not in 14/15, tbf. QOS pipped us to 4th place. The next two years we were out in front.

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Not in 14/15, tbf. QOS pipped us to 4th place. The next two years we were out in front.

I still thought you boys where a much better side.  We finished second but I don't think we had the second best side for instance. 

46 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

I still thought you boys where a much better side.  We finished second but I don't think we had the second best side for instance. 

Sorry if I am on a different wavelength but who did you think was the second best side that season ? Certainly wasn’t us in my opinion . We were woeful that season and finished where we probably deserved to be. 

Fair enough on paper at the beginning we probably had the best side on paper but as we know the reality was the team we put together was useless and was actually surprised we got the better of you over 2 legs in the play off semi final when it came around. 

6 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Sorry if I am on a different wavelength but who did you think was the second best side that season ? Certainly wasn’t us in my opinion . We were woeful that season and finished where we probably deserved to be. 

Fair enough on paper at the beginning we probably had the best side on paper but as we know the reality was the team we put together was useless and was actually surprised we got the better of you over 2 legs in the play off semi final when it came around. 

Considering we had a brand new squad at the start of the season and actively looked to punt others throughout, your new mob certainly had a better team/squad than us.  All it needed was any sort of contempt manager to take you up. 

4 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah there was just a sense of malaise about the club that whole time. Part of that was some dreadful managerial appointments though and Calderwood and Butcher in particular were dreadful. Mixu and to an extent Fenlon at least seemed to have a clue but weren't really good enough either. 

I think what I meant is that Hughes, Fenlon, and Butcher all came in having been successful elsewhere. Calderwood had one good job and one ok job before Hibs. Mixu was also shaping up as a decent coaching career. Hibs was his only bad job in his first four.

The common denominator is Hibs in that era.

They look like poor choices in hindsight, but they all showed elsewhere that they had something about them.i think when so many coaches who have done well elsewhere fail in succession, you can say it was the club.

Best thing that happened to Hibs was going down. Burst the negative bubble.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think what I meant is that Hughes, Fenlon, and Butcher all came in having been successful elsewhere. Calderwood had one good job and one ok job before Hibs. Mixu was also shaping up as a decent coaching career. Hibs was his only bad job in his first four.

They look like poor choices in hindsight, but they all showed elsewhere that they had something about them.i think when so many coaches who have done well elsewhere fail in succession, you can say it was the club.

No argument there mate!

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It made Rod Petrie reaslise he never a clue about how to run a football club. 

Decent post tbf. 

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The thread is called "Doing a Davidson" but let's not forget being relegated in successive seasons is called "Doing a Saintees" as St. Johnstone were the first club ever to suffer that ignominy.

Clyde and Dunfermline both managed to drop down tiers in 1974-75 and 1975-76, almost 10 years before St. Johnstone.
Depends on your definition of “relegated” and whether league reconstruction counts.

Clyde and Dunfermline both managed to drop down tiers in 1974-75 and 1975-76, almost 10 years before St. Johnstone.
Depends on your definition of “relegated” and whether league reconstruction counts.

Don't spoil it for Archstanton ffs. His whole world revolves around St Johnstone!!

41 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

We all know the difference between reconstruction and relegation.

Saintees did it first.

Was chatting about this just today with a a Sheffield United supporting mate of mine, talking about the rise and fall of Chris Wilder.
Our conclusion was that it's one thing for a manager to shape a successful team, particularly if the core is already there as it certainly was when Davidson took over.
It's far harder to reshape a team, particularly on a limited budget, when you find your level, the world moves on, or your most important players get too old/are sold from under you. Arsenal are taking literally years to do it despite being minted, and going through multiple managers in the process. Murinho's style has been outdated, at one point his side's hadn't been beaten at home for three years. Being able to continually evolve a side is what makes the Sir Alex's of this world, who can keep things fresh over decades, greats.
I see Davidson's situation as similar to Hartley's last season with us, his best players were sold, the new ones didn't quite work and now he is out of ideas. Let's hope it ends the same way [emoji1787]

The Blades were mental to let Wilder go. Fantastic manager. The problem was the owners wanted to go down the recruit tonnes of foreign youngsters route, and that’s not Wilder’s way.

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

The Blades were mental to let Wilder go. Fantastic manager. The problem was the owners wanted to go down the recruit tonnes of foreign youngsters route, and that’s not Wilder’s way.

Agreed, although paying nearly 20 million for Ollie Mcburnie is almost a criminal offence. He’s doing very well at Middlesborough now though.