Doing a Davidson

Ranieri must be the ultimate.

Yogi went from winning the Scottish with Inverness to getting relegated with Raith to L1 in the space of a year.

Falkirk are of course the club version.  From kicking about the playoffs in the Championship only not going up because us, **** and hearts where in the league to mid table L1 outfit now. 

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

Falkirk are of course the club version.  From kicking about the playoffs in the Championship only not going up because us, **** and hearts where in the league to mid table L1 outfit now. 

Would that not be Rangers.  From winning there 54th title. To oblivion in less that 2 years.

Stubbs was a funny one, and those weren't convinced by him at Hibs have ultimately been proven correct. He had a very good squad at that level and got a couple of years of relatively little pressure in the league due to Rangers and Hearts being there/managing a likeable team after a good 6/7 years of shite, so should have learned his trade. There were signs he had with obviously some very good victories over top flight sides in his various cup runs, and of course is a legend for winning the SC, but never managed to get us as far as a playoff final with some very poor performances under his tenure which ultimately would have seen him gone if he hadn't done so well in the cups. 

In the end though he seems to have been far too confident in his abilities and his tenure at St Mirren was jaw-droppingly strange. 

A more condensed version....

In February 2017 Paul Hartley won Manager of the Month after Dundee went the entire period undefeated including a 2-1 win over Rangers and a 5-1 thumping of Motherwell.

Dundee then lost 7 games in a row and Hartley was sacked in April.

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

Always found Alex MacDonald a strange one. Bit before my time but had 2 very good long term spells at Hearts and Airdrie and has been out of management ever since.

Did he ever apply for anything else, or just think "I've had enough" and retire from the game?

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

Always found Alex MacDonald a strange one. Bit before my time but had 2 very good long term spells at Hearts and Airdrie and has been out of management ever since.

I recall reading that that is through choice, he had offers but chose not to take any.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Did he ever apply for anything else, or just think "I've had enough" and retire from the game?

Honestly not sure tbh. I would imagine someone at some point had offered something though.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

I recall reading that that is through choice, he had offers but chose not to take any.

Fair play to him if so. Retired with a pretty decent CV.

8 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Robbie neilson papped out the SC 20-21 by fishermen & fermers 

goes on to split the cheeks & won the Scottish cup!

I know I know posted this 4 months early 😒

Not only that, but you've completely misunderstood the premise of the topic and got it 180 degrees out.

Still, apart from that...

Terry Butcher. Doing great things at Inverness, who must be up there with us for good managerial appointment ratio over the past fifteen years, then joined Hibs during the season when wee Pat got sacked.

The famous 'a lot of these lads won't be here next season' after they got pumped 2-0 going on 6-0 at McDiarmid was exactly the sort of motivational chat the players needed to down tools and not win another game all season (I think).

Relegated and binned at the end of the season.

19 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Ranieri must be the ultimate.

Yogi went from winning the Scottish with Inverness to getting relegated with Raith to L1 in the space of a year.

Looking back at that period the team I think most affected by the presence of all us 3 kicking about the championship was definitely queen of the south . That team they had from the first season was a great team who would have coasted to promotion under more normal circumstances 

Edited by Forever_blueco

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

Looking back at that period the team I think most affected by the presence of all us 3 kicking about the championship was definitely queen of the south . That team they had from the first season was a great team who would have coasted to promotion under more normal circumstances 

Falkirk would have absolutely annihilated that division in a normal year in 15/16, and probably won it in 16/17 as well.

11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Terry Butcher. Doing great things at Inverness, who must be up there with us for good managerial appointment ratio over the past fifteen years, then joined Hibs during the season when wee Pat got sacked.

The famous 'a lot of these lads won't be here next season' after they got pumped 2-0 going on 6-0 at McDiarmid was exactly the sort of motivational chat the players needed to down tools and not win another game all season (I think).

Relegated and binned at the end of the season.

I'd give anyone who was managing Hibs in that spell from Mixu to relegation a bit of a pass. Sometimes a club is just in a bad way.

See Sunderland.

Yogi Hughes.

Guided Inverness to an (unsuccessful) League Cup final in his first year, her then lead them to a 3rd placed finish and the Scottish Cup.

He left the following season and took on the Raith Rovers job. He held something like a 10 point lead over the relegation favourites - St Mirren and Ayr - only to chuck it away, finish 9th and be relegated via the play-off.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'd give anyone who was managing Hibs in that spell from Mixu to relegation a bit of a pass. Sometimes a club is just in a bad way.

See Sunderland.

Yeah there was just a sense of malaise about the club that whole time. Part of that was some dreadful managerial appointments though and Calderwood and Butcher in particular were dreadful. Mixu and to an extent Fenlon at least seemed to have a clue but weren't really good enough either.