Doing a Davidson

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

The Jack Ross graph would be another classic inverse V shape.

Think he still has the potential to turn his career around. He was unlucky to get sacked at Hibs, those who have played under him talk highly of him and he's probably first in line to be approached when any vacancies, in Scotland anyway, come up. He's nowhere near the Stubbs level of unemployability. 

That said, he really needs to settle at a club - he is a bit of a butterfly the way he flits around clubs, though I suppose not all of that is by choice.

Was chatting about this just today with a a Sheffield United supporting mate of mine, talking about the rise and fall of Chris Wilder.

Our conclusion was that it's one thing for a manager to shape a successful team, particularly if the core is already there as it certainly was when Davidson took over.

It's far harder to reshape a team, particularly on a limited budget, when you find your level, the world moves on, or your most important players get too old/are sold from under you. Arsenal are taking literally years to do it despite being minted, and going through multiple managers in the process. Murinho's style has been outdated, at one point his side's hadn't been beaten at home for three years. Being able to continually evolve a side is what makes the Sir Alex's of this world, who can keep things fresh over decades, greats.

I see Davidson's situation as similar to Hartley's last season with us, his best players were sold, the new ones didn't quite work and now he is out of ideas. Let's hope it ends the same way 🤣

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

The cup win masked the fact that we very nearly got relegated that season. Delayed the inevitable.

We wouldn't have gone down with Golac. After his sacking we picked up 1 win and 1 draw in 9 matches.

The previous 9 had been W3 D3 L3 including draws at Ibrox and Parkhead.

He should have been emptied in the summer but his bat shit crazy who knows that the score will be tenure would have been enough.

Very nearly Jim Jefferies in 98/99.

We won the cup and put in a strong challenge for the title in 97/98, finishing within 7 points of 1st placed Celtic, following a frustrating run of draws at home in March/ April of that season.

The next season we were bottom of the league in March, we were really struggling to score goals, had gone out of the Scottish Cup at the first hurdle away to Motherwell. It was only the return from injury of Colin Cameron and the signing of Darren Jackson that turned it around.

15 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Stubbs almost won two cups in the Championship and where is he now. I reckon Davidson just got lucky he came up against Jack Ross.

Stubbs done well with that hibs side but biggest surprise from that squad he had I find is Cummings. Him and McGinn where two I thought were certs to go on to higher levels . McGinn has went on to reach that potential  although thought he would have been at Celtic before heading down south.  Cummings has reached nowhere near the levels I thought he would end up. Actually liked him at Ibrox and would have liked to have seen him given a chance under gerrard but it wasn’t to be . 

Edited by Forever_blueco

Owen Coyle went from being touted as a possible successor to Wenger to possibly being the most incompetent Scottish top flight manager in recent memory. He seems to be doing ok in India at the moment though 

Jim McIntyre's CV since winning the League Cup hasn't been the greatest, despite his pals on Sportsound putting him up for every job in Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Very nearly Jim Jefferies in 98/99.

We won the cup and put in a strong challenge for the title in 97/98, finishing within 7 points of 1st placed Celtic, following a frustrating run of draws at home in March/ April of that season.

The next season we were bottom of the league in March, we were really struggling to score goals, had gone out of the Scottish Cup at the first hurdle away to Motherwell. It was only the return from injury of Colin Cameron and the signing of Darren Jackson that turned it around.

I remember being in hospitality that season at a game v Dunfermline where Hearts eventually won to stave off relegation fears. Jim Jeffries (who is a really nice bloke) was getting some terrible abuse as the teams went in 0-0 at HT

Cameron and Jackson were the only 2 decent players on the pitch that day.

Gary Caldwell.

Won the League One with Wigan in his first ever season of management. He was sacked by October the next season, with Wigan second bottom, where the finished the campaign.

He then took over at Chesterfield, where he got them relegated from League One, and set about assembling a squad who would end the season bottom of League Two. 29 games in charge for Gary yielded 3 wins.

His most recent job was with Thistle, where he took over an admittedly terrible squad, made them worse for a bit then guided us to safety on the final day of the season by convincing Scott McDonald to come out of retirement. He again set up assembling a squad which would be relegated at the end of the season, and was punted after picking up 2 points from our opening 5 games. He also unceremoniously punted some club legends and had it announced before telling them. Also claimed that he would be better suited to the Scotland job because he never played at Championship level.

Seems to have landed on his feet by putting out the cones at Hibs, which might be more suited to his “talents”

17 hours ago, AllyM said:

Claudio Ranieri at Leicester would fit the remit quite well.

I seem to remember Southampton fans going tonto after they sacked Nigel Adkins a few months after getting them promoted to the Premier League. They brought in Pochettino and funnily enough went quite fairly quickly. 

22 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Stubbs failed to get Hibs up, but had a generally positive two-year spell to start his managerial career including a cup win and another final appearance.

Not sure in 2016 anyone would have predicted his stock would fall so quickly.

I was actually thinking about a Stubbs comparison to Davidson the other day, do wonder if there’s a parallel universe where Stubbs stays after the cup win and  we finish 3rd in the following championship season and he’s hounded out like it would appear is happening to Davidson at present.

21 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Tom Hendrie was the first one that came to mind. Quite a rapid rise through the lower leagues culminating in our 1st division win in 2000. He was a highly rated young gaffer at the time.

From there it sort of all falls off a cliff.

That man taught me maths at high school, honestly the guy was an absolute psychopath, used to tell folk there was no point in getting up in the morning if they couldn’t factorise a quadratic formula.