Doing a Davidson

Watching Sportscene last night I was thinking not just about the massive fall from grace that Calum Davidson appears to be going through just now but also the speed of the rise of his success.

I don’t think there will be any manager who can match his record (outside of the old firm maybe with Lennon or someone in his first season) of coming in and immediately winning 2 cups so I’m not expecting examples like that but who else comes close to him in terms of immediate success and then massively falling away.

I’m struggling to find anything even remotely similar for Kilmarnock in my time supporting them, we only got the good half of that roller coaster I suppose with Bobby Williamson who went from reserve team manager to Scottish Cup winning manager in around 7 months but then of course maintained a good record with us through the rest of his time before moving on.

Edited by Sortmeout

Stuart McCall’s final season at Motherwell. Getting papped out by an Icelandic mob in Europe to condemning us to the bottom two pretty much all season.

All coming after consistently finishing in the top 3 and 2nd and qualifying for Europe.

He made up for it of course in the playoffs at the end of that year.

10 minutes ago, DMCs said:

What about John Collins? Won the League Cup with Hibs then about 2-3 years later couldn't get a job.

I imagine Collins being a massive fucking bellend has more to do with why he doesnt have a job rather than his actual abilities as a manager/coach.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Stubbs failed to get Hibs up, but had a generally positive two-year spell to start his managerial career including a cup win and another final appearance.

Not sure in 2016 anyone would have predicted his stock would fall so quickly.

Not sure that’s true. I’m not surprised at all his career went the way it has. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Tom Hendrie was the first one that came to mind. Quite a rapid rise through the lower leagues culminating in our 1st division win in 2000. He was a highly rated young gaffer at the time.

From there it sort of all falls off a cliff.

Yep, exactly where my head went after reading the OP. Highly rated enough for that now-legendary five-year contract to deter potential suitors.

Totally stitched, of course, by the loss of his transfer budget so we could make pointless ground improvements, but his managerial record is pretty much non-existent after leaving us.

Before anyone says Jackie Mac - he absolutely lucked out in having our greatest group of players probably ever in 2013-14 and 14-15 and managed to get a 5th place and a Cup final with them. Before managing to punt out the Head of Youth Development and then spend a ridiculous amount of money on diddies that got us relegated -  Robbie Muirhead (£200k) and Billy McKay (£275k).

Absolute charlatan of a manager.