Arbroath vs Thistle - Tuesday March 1st 2022

53 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

😔

42747A83-B638-4BC1-92A2-44875B3E3FDD.jpeg

Hope that’s not how it pans out, there’ll be no game if it is.

More positively, the Met Office forecast is saying 20mph winds with gusts of 35mph at kick off, with winds getting lighter as the day goes on. I think that BBC forecast must be in Kmph as that’s pretty much what 35mph is when converted, and that’s only for gusts.

I know it says it’s mph but that would be approaching 95kmph winds at midday. You would be struggling to walk anywhere outside in those conditions, never mind play a game of fitba.

To put it in context 58mph (at 12:00) winds equates to over 50 knots. On the Beaufort Wind Scale that’s well into what’s classed as a storm, “which will see trees broken or uprooted and severe structural damage and is seldom experienced on land”.

I would have thought that there would be warnings in place if this was the genuine forecast.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Hope that’s not how it pans out, there’ll be no game if it is.

More positively, the Met Office forecast is saying 20mph winds with gusts of 35mph at kick off, with winds getting lighter as the day goes on. I think that BBC forecast must be in Kmph as that’s pretty much what 35mph is when converted, and that’s only for gusts.

I know it says it’s mph but that would be approaching 95kmph winds at midday. You would be struggling to walk anywhere outside in those conditions, never mind play a game of fitba.

To put it in context 58mph (at 12:00) winds equates to over 50 knots. On the Beaufort Wind Scale that’s well into what’s classed as a storm, “which will see trees broken or uprooted and severe structural damage and is seldom experienced on land”.

I would have thought that there would be warnings in place if this was the genuine forecast.

That’s miles per hour. That’s a game abondoned if correct. But I don’t really trust the beeb. Just have to wait and see

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That’s miles per hour. That’s a game abondoned if correct. But I don’t really trust the beeb. Just have to wait and see

The BBC are terrible for online forecasting. I always thought they got their info from the met office but it’s always different so they must do their own or source it from elsewhere.

The best one for inaccuracy I remember was about 5 or 6 years ago, sitting in my office looking at the forecast on screen for the whole day as being cold but with bright blue, sunny skies with light winds and 0% chance of precipitation - a perfect winter day.

I looked out the window and it was a complete white-out swirling blizzard, you couldn’t see the cars in the car park right outside, there was about 3” of snow and it had been like that for a few of hours. I think they just make it up sometimes, for Scotland anyway.

Edited by Tattie36

Yeah they all seem consistent aside from BBC. It states the settings in regards to Celsius and MPH further down the page. It has nearly 60mph winds now earlier in the day and even into the evening. Everywhere else seems to say 20mph winds, gusts 35 and it to die down by the evening... not got a clue how BBC are so far out. 

20 and 35 isn’t too bad 

14 hours ago, Biglichtie74 said:

Looking forward to gayfield on Saturday, hopefully pick up 3 points to push us closer to the title , also hope the Arbroath stewards manage to behave themselves this time unlike last time

Fixed that bit for you. 

26 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

Has there ever been a day in Arbroath when it’s not been windy,dreich or a combination of both ?  

Yes. Pretty much every game day this season so far has been good weather. The only games where it’s been what you would call particularly windy are the Ayr game in October and the recent ICT game.

Oh, and Morton in December where it was a pea-souper, wasn’t windy though.

A few Killie fans and some of our cliche ridden, shit media seemed to think our Friday game in September was windy, even though the game was played in near perfect conditions and the flag was hanging limp for a lot of the game.

Edited by Tattie36

56 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:
4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:
Yellow weather warning for wind on met office now. What a pain in the arse

Only Amber up to 3pm I'm seeing but wind showing as 23 gusting to 41 and decreasing so fingers crossed

Aye I mind a very similar thing happening before QoTS when we won 2-0 at home. Hilson and Gold. We had some terrible days that season. 

I know Gayfield isn't as windy as made out a lot of the time but if it is genuine storm warning, what are the chances of game being called off? Like how many games in last 5 years have been off or abandoned for wind? 

Could really do without another midweek fixture.