Doonhamers vs. Pars "The Massive Six Pointer"

54 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Seeing a lot of criticism of O'Connor online. I actually thought he did okay, seemed strong and composed and won most of his headers, although I wasn't really paying close attention to the stream. What did I not see? 

Really? I thought O'Connor was excellent. The only positive thing about today. Some of his clearances were straight out of play, some of his passes forward were misplaced, but he was strong, aggressive, won pretty much everything that went near him and showed positive signs he could be the centre half we've been missing. I'd have given him Man of the Match (for us anyway).

Awful performance over the piece though. We didn't start at all and were deservedly 2 down inside half an hour. Probably lucky it was only two. We competed better second half but we never looked like scoring and the game was gone by then anyway. Even in the second half Dunfermline had the better chances. First goal Dow gets the freedom of Dumfries to run across the penalty area and collect the ball to put in the cross and we're not picking up Dorrans at all. 2nd goal is a bit fortunate in that Rae's short punch goes to Pybus and the shot takes a big deflection on the way in. We didn't close him down nearly quick enough though and the punch didn't have enough distance.

Three changes at half time were no surprise. Could have made more! At least half our team were miles off it today for whatever reason. We got better second half but not sure how much was the wind and how much was Dunfermline moving into a keep what we have mode to an extent. Our home record is so bad it's a relief our next three are away from home.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Really? I thought O'Connor was excellent. The only positive thing about today. Some of his clearances were straight out of play, some of his passes forward were misplaced, but he was strong, aggressive, won pretty much everything that went near him and showed positive signs he could be the centre half we've been missing. I'd have given him Man of the Match (for us anyway).

Awful performance over the piece though. We didn't start at all and were deservedly 2 down inside half an hour. Probably lucky it was only two. We competed better second half but we never looked like scoring and the game was gone by then anyway. Even in the second half Dunfermline had the better chances. First goal Dow gets the freedom of Dumfries to run across the penalty area and collect the ball to put in the cross and we're not picking up Dorrans at all. 2nd goal is a bit fortunate in that Rae's short punch goes to Pybus and the shot takes a big deflection on the way in. We didn't close him down nearly quick enough though and the punch didn't have enough distance.

Not a whole lot else to say. Three changes were no surprise. Could have made more! At least half our team were miles off it today for whatever reason. We got better second half but not sure how much was the wind and how much was Dunfermline moving into a keep what we have mode to an extent. Our home record is so bad it's a relief our next three are away from home.

Did the second take a big deflection?  I thought it had at first, but I'm not sure it didn't just bounce up off Rae on the way through him.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did the second take a big deflection?  I thought it had at first, but I'm not sure it didn't just bounce up off Rae on the way through him.

Looked like it did to me at the time. I haven't seen it again though. It certainly didn't finish where it was going when Dan hit it. Maybe it did just deflected by Rae. It certainly didn't go straight in.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

38 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's the perfect description of what we delivered today and have done in the vast majority of our home games, going back quite a way now.

Last 30 home league games
P30 W6 D6 L18
Have won 2 and lost 10 of the last 16 home league games. 

Edited by Flash

I thought Rae’s performance today showed we need another senior goalkeeper.

He’s been pretty good since Bryan left, but he looked really susceptible at corners. A few very weak punches, one of which led to the second goal. His distribution wasn’t great either, but will put that at least partly down to the weather. 

After a battling performance at ICT that was a truly awful performance in such an important game. The partnership of O’Connor and East was so disjointed - O’Connor looked nervous, kept launching long diagonal balls that never reached their destination and generally looked slow and cumbersome. Can only assume McGrory had a knock because after a great performance at Inverness from him it is inconceivable that he didn’t start ahead of Nditi in midfield - worse still not sure why Liddle was seen as a better option off the bench at HT?

Folarin struggled first half but who didn’t - surely we should have kept him on with his pace and given him a chance to show what he might be able to do? He surely has to have more about him than he showed in that first half. 

Pars looked a much better outfit than they did a few weeks ago - can’t see them falling through the trap door and with Morton and Ayr also on the up the outlook is a depressing one. 

I thought Rae’s performance today showed we need another senior goalkeeper.

He’s been pretty good since Bryan left, but he looked really susceptible at corners. A few very weak punches, one of which led to the second goal. His distribution wasn’t great either, but will put that at least partly down to the weather. 

We could build a brick wall in the goalmouth for corners and I'd still have little faith in defending it.

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Three changes at half time were no surprise. Could have made more! At least half our team were miles off it today for whatever reason. We got better second half but not sure how much was the wind and how much was Dunfermline moving into a keep what we have mode to an extent. Our home record is so bad it's a relief our next three are away from home.

Wullie Gibson was rightly named Mom leading by example and only player giving the needed effort to try and win a game if football, others should take note. Another 90 mins without a shot on target at home! The only relief I will get is if the board finnally see sense & get rid of AJ its an absolute disgrace he has been allowed to stay as manager of Queens for so long. Time to get a new person in place now even just a contract till the end of the season, sure there are plenty managers out of work that would do that. A manager with fresh ideas that might play a much simpliar system that our squad could play at the moment nobody seems to know what they are ment to be doing.. 

AJ talked some amount of pish in that post-match interview btw.

Gets asked a simple enough question about his team’s lack of good attempts the past 3 home games ie zero shots on target and replies “…we played well second half” as if that somehow trumps it? The man is a fucking charlatan, and the sooner yous get rid of him you’ll have a much better chance of staying up.

1 minute ago, Dougie Mills said:

And that is why our crowds are now at there lowest for for 20+ years! 

It really is an incredibly bad record.  I wouldn't imagine there's a worse one in Scotland over the period.

Blaming the pitch for it doesn't make an awful lot of sense, given that it's the same for both sides and, logically, should favour the side that gets to play on it most frequently.

Nonetheless, I can't help feeling it's part of the picture.  I've moved full circle on this.   I used to defend the pitch, but it's now contributing to a grim spectacle, is certainly not aiding our form and apparently doesn't make much money.

I'd love to see it replaced by grass.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really is an incredibly bad record.  I wouldn't imagine there's a worse one in Scotland over the period.

Blaming the pitch for it doesn't make an awful lot of sense, given that it's the same for both sides and, logically, should favour the side that gets to play on it most frequently.

Nonetheless, I can't help feeling it's part of the picture.  I've moved full circle on this.   I used to defend the pitch, but it's now contributing to a grim spectacle, is certainly not aiding our form and apparently doesn't make much money.

I agree. But I wonder if there is some agreement that says it has to be replaced by plastic because the original pitch was largely grant funded. Maybe if Queens put a grass pitch in, they need to repay the grant. Or maybe there was some agreement that the plastic pitch has to be there a certain length of time.

9 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

AJ talked some amount of pish in that post-match interview btw.

Gets asked a simple enough question about his team’s lack of good attempts the past 3 home games ie zero shots on target and replies “…we played well second half” as if that somehow trumps it? The man is a fucking charlatan, and the sooner yous get rid of him you’ll have a much better chance of staying up.

There's a school of thought that says it doesn't matter what a manager says in interviews or ever communicates to the media, as any players will be receiving a different message and that's what's important.

I've never signed up to it though.  Especially at our level, I think it's quite revealing if a manager can only trot out insulting drivel.  It's been clear for a long while that Johnston has no clear idea how to fix things.  Instead, he parrots his wishes on a weekly basis, without identifying how to bring them about.  When he tries to spin positives out of a performance like today's, it just switches everyone off.  I'm afraid he just hasn't got what's necessary.

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

I agree. But I wonder if there is some agreement that says it has to be replaced by plastic because the original pitch was largely grant funded. Maybe if Queens put a grass pitch in, they need to repay the grant. Or maybe there was some agreement that the plastic pitch has to be there a certain length of time.

Yes, quite possibly.

I've no idea about these matters.  The arguments in favour of having it are bound to have receded in recent years though. It would be good to know the nature of any such arrangements. 

25 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Wullie Gibson was rightly named Mom leading by example and only player giving the needed effort to try and win a game if football, others should take note. Another 90 mins without a shot on target at home! The only relief I will get is if the board finnally see sense & get rid of AJ its an absolute disgrace he has been allowed to stay as manager of Queens for so long. Time to get a new person in place now even just a contract till the end of the season, sure there are plenty managers out of work that would do that. A manager with fresh ideas that might play a much simpliar system that our squad could play at the moment nobody seems to know what they are ment to be doing.. 

Agree about Gibson - miles better than anybody else in a Queens shirt. Looks for the ball all the time, takes the ball in tight positions and always try to play football on the deck.

39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Often thought that Queens should never have gotten rid of their grass pitch in the first place. Although if Killie could, any club can I suppose...

6 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I decided long before Christmas that I'm not prepared to pay £18 to watch while that charlatan is still at the helm.  I don't like to deprive the club of income but £10 for a stream is as far as I'm willing to go.

I’m at the stage where I’m starting to grudge paying the PPV £10. Sad times.

Edit to add  I thought O’Connor did fine today. 
The guy on loan from Middlesbrough looked lost. 
If McGrory was fit today it defies belief that he didn’t feature.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer