Morton vs Raith, 28/1/22

1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Those Raith players love Gozie. Kinda beautiful.

No wonder. He's an absolute hero of a man. I'd have been happy for us to have him back had he not been so injury prone last season. Good to see him doing well for Morton. 

Morton probably deserved the three points tonight. We've got a good core of a team and we can definitely build a team around Stanton in the future but again we saw too many players not at their best tonight. We stuck with 5 at the back and yet Muirhead still gets between two players for the second goal without looking troubled. We've got more experienced players on the bench who aren't being used like Zanatta and Connolly. 

Imrie looks like he's completely changed the mentality in that team. They won't win any awards for aesthetics (not that we're playing beautiful football ourselves at the moment) but they were relentlessly aggressive compared to the shitshow that was McPherson. 

Imrie is doing a terrific job and is now getting 100% out of this side. If we play like that most weeks (4/4 so far) then we should be fine.

He's reaching the limits of the squad's ability already though. The central midfield is great at chasing the first pass and winning it, but is too soft when a team gets past that by skill or a break of the ball. McLean is too immobile to play wide in a back three and Ledger has given away two penalties in a row. Both being subbed point to Imrie's frustration, as conceding two goals before half time was brainless and gave us too much to do. 

Centre back and Allan Jenkins mk. II needed. 

Just now, baillieinleeds said:

I know, they totally rock, acknowledge the history man. 

Sorry I’m trying to type and it keeps coming up with this. Anyway. That Morton strip is awesome. A centenary year for your club a 100 years. You won the cup. We finished third behind the filth. 

A good point given the second half and our recent form alongside Morton’s. Obviously 6 without win now but in isolation that’s not a bad result and certainly better than I feared pre match. Two winnable home games coming up to hopefully build momentum but we need to start getting wins fast if we don’t want to end up cut adrift from the top 4.

Berra going off was a big loss, hopefully he’s not out for too long. I don’t think we are losing 2 goals from crosses into the box with him on the pitch.

Fair play to Morton, played at a great intensity all game, Imrie looks to be doing a good job there. They are a million times better than at any other point I’ve seen them since we came up and unlucky not to win.

Lewis Strapp is an angry wee man but a very good player. If you swapped him for Dick in our side it would improve us a huge amount.

I liked big Gozie, glad to see him doing well at Morton. Injuries and a lack of pace hampered him with us. Morton going more direct and getting bodies quickly supporting and around him probably is a style that suits him better than us and he’s good striker for this level in that system. Tynecastle flashbacks from that backheel, great save from MacDonald.

1 minute ago, baillieinleeds said:

Sorry I’m trying to type and it keeps coming up with this. Anyway. That Morton strip is awesome. A centenary year for your club a 100 years. You won the cup. We finished third behind the filth. 

I was starting to think you were stalking me 😘

There's no way Morton are a part of that relegation scrap anymore. Imrie's getting the best out of a relatively limited group that he's inherited. It'll be interesting to see how they get on next season when he's had more time to bring in his own players. A manager worth backing. 

As for the Rovers, ultimately that's not a bad point, but we really needed to win either tonight or Tuesday, so the pressure amps up a bit for that one. 

I don't know how much McGlynn is learning from these games. We were marginally better tonight and created a few chances from open play, so hopefully we see more of that, but we lost two goals from headers and could've lost more, so the merits of the three at the back are lost on me. 

I reckon we'll see another change of shape on Tuesday, with at least one of the wingers brought back in. It needs to be a case of keeping the plus points from tonight and changing the parts that didn't work, but there's a real risk that the team reverts to type. 

Lewis Strapp is such a fucking legend even when Raith players kick him in the nuts they get the free kick for hurting their foot. 

I know we should move on, and it might sound a bit pretty, but, fucking hell, Gus McPherson was the absolute shits. 

He turnt Strapp from a solid if unspectacular full back into a bombs scare centre back. Imrie's been here a month and turnt him into Andy Robertson with a better long throw.

He had Cameron Blues play in defensive midfield when, time and time again, he's shown his only real quality is bursting into the box and Imrie's now got him getting on the end of crosses instead of chasing shadows 60 yards away.

Reece Lyon was warming the bench and being thrown on to run around like a headless chicken and Imrie's given him a set role and clear instructions to get the best out of him.

Just as we gave up on Reilly as a player with no confidence, going through the motions, Imrie has has him taking men on and giving defenders no peace.

He's even got Robbie Muirhead running. 

Imrie was genuinely annoyed we never won that. McPherson would telling us all how lucky we are to have lost 1-0.

Apart from the last three minutes of the first half, we were the better team. Second half we were unlucky just to get the one goal. Clear penalty when Benedictus handled. We just need to keep up that level of performance every week, especially against the other teams in the bottom half of the table. What a difference Imrie has made already.