Morton vs Raith, 28/1/22

Well no, I'd much rather have progression in the Scottish Cup than one bog-standard league win with 15 games to go. 

A win on Friday night would continue our progress out of the danger zone but we are no longer in must-win territory. On current levels of performance we should see off any two of the other sides in the bottom half regardless and will have plenty of chances to do so. 

Well no, I'd much rather have progression in the Scottish Cup than one bog-standard league win with 15 games to go. 
A win on Friday night would continue our progress out of the danger zone but we are no longer in must-win territory. On current levels of performance we should see off any two of the other sides in the bottom half regardless and will have plenty of chances to do so. 

A positive VT…I’m worried now.

I think this is actually a pretty important game for Imrie: win (or at least draw) and it's confirmation that he hasn't just produced a 'bounce', but we're in different territory altogether; lose and the pressure is suddenly back on, with Inverness away to follow.

A win (and a new signing or two) and we could actually begin to pull clear of trouble before it all gets too hairy.

I'm not buying Raith fans saying they are struggling/ will struggle against us. Mostly tight affairs which end up with the rovers win. Looking forward to the game and I see no reason why we can't get something from the game. Confidence will be high and imrie has installed a lot of fight and pride in us which has been missing for a while. 

No confidence going into this which is a shame because with the rest of the top 5 playing each other there is a real chance for us to make up some of the ground lost in recent weeks. However, Morton will also see the opportunity to take advantage of the rest of the bottom 5 playing each other.

Our games at Cappielow and against Morton in general since we came up (5-0 aside) have been tight and scrappy affairs, I would expect this will be the same. Imrie has had a fantastic start with draws in 90 minutes away to Motherwell and Killie and the wins against Ayr and Dunfermline. He seems to have them playing an aggressive pressing game which worries me slightly. If we persist with Gullan as the main central striker and pedestrian passing, it will play right into Morton’s hands and we’ll be under constant pressure.

Hopefully we will have a striker in before this one but it doesn’t seem like there is anything imminent. With no further additions I’d hope we go with:

MacDonald

Tumilty    
Lang    
Berra    
Dick

Williamson   
Matthews   
Stanton

Connolly   
Poplatnik   
Ross

Despite not being the biggest Poplatnik is a much better option at holding the ball up than Gullan. Given Morton are likely to press high and I’d assume, given the time of the year, the grass pitch isn’t likely to be conducive to quick, passing football we will probably need to be more direct and Matej is our best bet for that role.

I reckon it’ll be 2-0 Morton with Ugwu a certainty to score but a win would be huge and would bring us back into the mix.

Expecting the same line up for us as it's been the last few games

Hamilton

Ledger lithgow McLean 

Brandon                        Strapp

Blues Lyon Oliver

Ugwu       Reilly

I'd ideally like McEntee to come in for McLean but doubt Imrie will change it.

Oliver has done well in the more attacking mid role but  we need to bring another CM this window. Cant go through the next 15 games with 3 and a half midfielders.

Really fancy us which usually means a pumping the other way.

Hopefully a decent crowd to give Dougie a proper warm home welcome but with it being Friday night and on TV, some will decide to stay at home.

I think McEntee will come in. Imrie was pretty ruthless dropping Hynes who hadn't done much wrong since the new gaffer came in. I think he's aware that even if McLean is playing well his lack of pace does force us to keep a pretty deep defensive line so after his error at the weekend I think he'll be benched

4 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I'm not buying Raith fans saying they are struggling/ will struggle against us. 

11th December was our last league win and since then performances/results have been poor. Few players off the boil at the moment but we could do with getting back to winning ways pronto. A jammy 1-0 win would do me.

15 minutes ago, Raithie said:

11th December was our last league win and since then performances/results have been poor. Few players off the boil at the moment but we could do with getting back to winning ways pronto. A jammy 1-0 win would do me.

We did reasonably OK against ICT but that's been the only half good performance since even before the Killie home game.

Good to see the new pub in Kdy play this game on the tele, and also Raith Suite hosting folks for an easy revenue straight in to the Club.

I was looking to go to this game, enjoyed the first away day to Morton earlier in the season. But the move to Friday night under the lights have scuppered it for me. Hopeful of an Away win (no idea why!).

I usually hate all this “ we’ll lose” mentality. But the team’s confidence is shot. We had about 20 shots against non league BoD and failed miserably until they got tired which forced us to shoot at the goal instead of lobbing it over the bar. Our manager dithering on the striker front. Keeping Varian was a daft idea. Ok he pulls and hassles defenders. But his lack of goal scoring for a striker is alarming. He’s injured anyway so that doesn’t help. Hopefully we stop passing around in defence and push forward. 

9 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

I usually hate all this “ we’ll lose” mentality. But the team’s confidence is shot. We had about 20 shots against non league BoD and failed miserably until they got tired which forced us to shoot at the goal instead of lobbing it over the bar. Our manager dithering on the striker front. Keeping Varian was a daft idea. Ok he pulls and hassles defenders. But his lack of goal scoring for a striker is alarming. He’s injured anyway so that doesn’t help. Hopefully we stop passing around in defence and push forward. 

Since we pass around to find the/an opening to pass it forward, where are we to be pushing now?

54 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Since we pass around to find the/an opening to pass it forward, where are we to be pushing now?

Aye, but we’re passing it around in defence which leads to us inviting unnecessary pressure on ourselves. 

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Aye, but we’re passing it around in defence which leads to us inviting unnecessary pressure on ourselves. 

The problem is we don't have an outlet to pass it forward, which is why we pass across the back...so it's not really making sense to say push forward if we don't because we're lacking options.

Williamson looked eager on Saturday to do some fetching and carrying maybe the manager is working on this at training, also Stanton looked to do a similar roll. If one pushed forwards then the other dropped deeper. Hendry did this roll for the Rovers. So it would appear we are trying to mix things up a wee bit more.