Pay cut

On 21/01/2022 at 18:40, GallowayBlue said:

Considering taking quite a hefty pay cut (~40%) from a job I don’t enjoy to embark on a new career path.

Obviously I’d be starting at the bottom again but longer term I might be able to work my way back up to a similar level.

Is that ridiculous?

Have you ever taken a pay cut? Would you take a pay cut? Any horror stories that should serve as a warning to me?

It's only ridiculous if you can't afford it, being a wage slave is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My wife is he opposite,she misses work and is looking to get PT work,

There’s no one size fits all mate.  If she enjoys working then let her crack on.  I know a bloke that retired, had his party and all that and was back at work the next Monday because he was already missing it.  Didn’t even last a weekend.

8 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My wife is he opposite,she misses work and is looking to get PT work,

PT work and grandkids two days a week is perfect for us. I missed a good chunk of my sons growing up through graft, I’m not missing out again. Your circumstances are different with the bairns, I totally understand your wife wanting to work 

As others have said, do the sums and if you can afford to leave a job you hate for something you really want to do, don’t hesitate.

I envy you for having the option. As sole wage-earner for a family of four, I need to work for whoever will pay me the most.  Not that I’m bitter or anything.

31340A51-5DCC-48FA-BC03-8ED30CA7595F.gif.3333608150e0d2633e2c72edaf6f7cdf.gif

good luck!

Two years ago almost to the week, I decided to take a 20% pay cut to leave a job I was bored and miserable in to move into a totally different sector. We also decided to move from Aberdeen to Inverness and that meant shifting a house which had lost value due to the Aberdeen market, meaning that I scraped my deposit back but lost the large amount of money I put into the place.

It was the best thing I ever did. My work is a lot more challenging, I'm much more mentally engaged and I'm happier. We had to cut back some of the luxuries we enjoyed before and are still working at finances to get more comfortable but both the Mrs and I are happier in our lives with a good work-life balance. She's thriving at her work also and loves living where we do.

It has already been said but if you can afford to move from somewhere where you are miserable, the rewards are there in terms of your own mental health and happiness.

Too young to be able to comment as well as others but am currently going for a job with a (relatively very minor) drop in pay as life's too short to be miserable. I have a job I find unspeakably dull, which is quite high pressure, where there's an expectation you work beyond your contracted hours pretty much constantly. On top of that for 4 months of the year your standard hours are bumped up 20%, all without any overtime pay.

The job I'm going for has proper flexitime, so no more of that and in real terms I'll probably make more per hour. I'm thinking about doing a masters as I'll be able to plan and do more outside of work, and the job seems like something I wouldn't be banging my head against the desk trying to force myself to do every day. 

So aye, as long as you can make your commitments or are happy scaling back just do it. 

12 hours ago, Duszek said:

As others have said, do the sums and if you can afford to leave a job you hate for something you really want to do, don’t hesitate.

I envy you for having the option. As sole wage-earner for a family of four, I need to work for whoever will pay me the most.  Not that I’m bitter or anything.

31340A51-5DCC-48FA-BC03-8ED30CA7595F.gif.3333608150e0d2633e2c72edaf6f7cdf.gif

good luck!

Your family probably won't thank you for being a miserable fucker in a job you hate. Nothing is risk free, including staying where you are.