Coffee - whats yours?

I occasionally find myself watching the videos of James Hoffman on YouTube

He's a ridiculous man, but at least seems to be fully aware of it.

There's something quite relaxing about listening to knowledgeable people going into granular detail about a particular topic and just letting the mostly useless information wash over you. I find myself watching physics and maths videos for the same reason.

Bialetti moka pot is my go to. Currently going through Pure Roasters 'Mad Wae It' beans and enjoying them. My girlfriend has a Nespresso Vertuo machine with the Aeroccino milk frother which is better than I thought it would be and decent if I'm just after a quick coffee but nowhere near the standard of the Bialetti.

If I'm getting a coffee whilst out, it's always a flat white with oat milk I go for.

Luckily in a good coffee region, although the local coffee versions are nothing to write home about.

Ca phe Su da made with a phin and with a good Vietnamese coffee. Got a few phins in the house and easy to make.

Having a Sumatran wife, got to love the Indonesian coffees particularly from Sumatra.

Kopi Luwak is a very good, if not expensive coffee.

My absolute favourite is Seattle's Best Dark Roast, which handily my in-laws can send me from Seattle every few months, as I've not been able to find it over here. Hopefully they can still get it when they move to Arizona in a few months.

For stuff I can get here I like Lavazza Espresso Roast for my espresso machine and some of the Asda Extra Special stuff for the French press is pretty good, again I usually like the darker roasts. 

I'll be putting in an order from (local to me) Pure Roasters when I get paid next week, I've heard nothing but good things about them and I'm ,looking forward to trying their stuff.

4 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Outstanding this. Always buy beans and use a French press.

At my mums yesterday - 

"Want a coffee son?"

"Dont worry, I hate that instant rubbish"

"No, I bought you some real coffee, I know you like it"

Cafetiere dragged out the depths of the cupboard, kettle on, opened the pack she got from Morrisons and it was beans..................

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Ca phe Su da made with a phin and with a good Vietnamese coffee. Got a few phins in the house and easy to make.

For those who don't know their phin from their fork handles..

You lot are having a fucking laugh.

Instant coffee?

Coffee bags?

Illy? 

Fucking Nespresso?

Look, if you want to be a proper coffee c**t, you need to visit one of those obscure hole-in-the-wall coffee shops that try their hardest not to be noticed, buy yourselves some whole beans from a made-up country (like Burundi or Suriname), grind them in your kitchen at 5 in the morning so your neighbours know you grind your own beans, then squeeze them through the arsehole of a Costa Rican coffee sock (see below).

If you're posh like me, you'll accept nothing less. 

chorreador-1024x657.thumb.jpg.6436557fa8049126c1f71c6b7de0c820.jpg

Edited by The Other Foot

35 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

You lot are having a fucking laugh.

Instant coffee?

Coffee bags?

Illy? 

Fucking Nespresso?

Look, if you want to be a proper coffee c**t, you need to visit one of those obscure hole-in-the-wall coffee shops that try their hardest not to be noticed, buy yourselves some whole beans from a made-up country (like Burundi or Suriname), grind them in your kitchen at 5 in the morning so your neighbours know you grind your own beans, then squeeze them through the arsehole of a Costa Rican coffee sock (see below).

If you're posh like me, you'll accept nothing less. 

Of course, if you are a real "Laaandan" hipster those beans need to be the ones that have been shat, undigested, out of some rodents arse? "for that authentic fully rounded flavour".......................

sick man GIF

6 hours ago, Scosha said:

Anyone got any tips for getting into coffee? Tried it numerous times and find it absolutely bogging, but I got a coffee machine as a house warming gift earlier this year and I want to use it :lol: 

I got into it by drinking espresso Dolce Gusto pods at work then slowly tried McDonald's espresso and then finally decided that wasn't enough and now have my own pod machine and drink all sorts.

I'm now looking into getting a bean to cup machine, and this thread has been timely.

5 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I occasionally find myself watching the videos of James Hoffman on YouTube

He's a ridiculous man, but at least seems to be fully aware of it.

There's something quite relaxing about listening to knowledgeable people going into granular detail about a particular topic and just letting the mostly useless information wash over you. I find myself watching physics and maths videos for the same reason.

He done a good video on instant coffee for the less cultured among us:

Wiki

In English, the device is known in North America as a French press or coffee press; in Britain and Ireland as a cafetière; in New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa, as a coffee plunger, and coffee brewed in it as plunger coffee. In Italian it is known as a caffettiera a stantuffo; in German, as a Stempelkanne ("stamp pot") or Kaffeepresse ("coffee press"); in French as cafetière à piston, or simply as cafetière (also the usage in Dutch), though some speakers might also use genericized trademarks, such as Melior or Bodum.

Cafetiere, small amount of cold milk and usually the (imo) genuinely excellent Lavazza Red. We do drink other craft/local type stuff but I find it hit or miss and expensive. The other go to is Lidl French Blend which is astoundingly cheap and really, really good. 

If I get offered an instant coffee I generally assume I have mortally offended the person and leave in a hurry. I'd rather drink nothing.