Are supermarkets ripping the piss?

Thorongil

6 hours ago, Empty It said:
On 21/01/2022 at 11:02, Melanius Mullarkay said:
I blame the staff.
Especially the ones in Tesco.
Specifically the Kingsway Branch in Dundee. 

I blame everyone who voted for Brexit.

The inflation rate in the EU is 5%. The price of food is increasing across the world.

My suspicion is we are in for a few years of this then Central Bank Digital Currencies will be pushed as a way of getting inflation under control.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/11/us-inflation-market-power-america-antitrust-robert-reich

This a very good article. We are in a completely novel situation where corporate profits are at record highs despite high inflation. There is no real competition in the market now with a small number of huge multinationals dominating supply chains and those companies themselves are largely owned by a tiny number of asset management firms.

Edited by Detournement

44 minutes ago, Empty It said:
21 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:
I blame the staff.
Especially the ones in Tesco.
Specifically the Kingsway Branch in Dundee. 

I blame everyone who voted for Brexit.

So can we just agree it’s the fault of the Dundonians? 

• 2 weeks later...

I like Lidl/Aldi bar one thing.

All other supermarkets have even number of aisles.

In door, up aisle, down aisle, up aisle, down aisle, repeat and repeat and finish at bottom next to checkouts.

A Lidl/Aldi has 5 aisles.

In door, up aisle, down aisle, up aisle, down aisle, up aisle....

finished and stuck in corner and have to repeat aisle. It annoys me far more than it should.... I may have issues

4 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

In door, up aisle, down aisle, up aisle, down aisle, repeat and repeat and finish at bottom next to checkouts.

finished and stuck in corner and have to repeat aisle. It annoys me far more than it should.... I may have issues

Would you say you're an excellent driver? 

Edited by coprolite
Apostrophe nightmare

We’ve started using Gousto. Really good quality and not expensive compared to supermarkets 
It's gotten better but the one use plastic is still too much. The recipes are excellent though.
Hello Fresh were dreadful for it. I'm hoping they have improved.

30 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Primonumerophobia.

On 21/01/2022 at 07:20, Leith Green said:

We usually shop in Cameron Toll 

This used to look like a space shop from the future when I was young, in the 80s, all smoked glass and red light trim. Used to love going to it when came down to my grans, our price, the John menzies for posters, a few decent sports shops, and a burger on the terrace.

Alot of my family down there still refer to the whole place as Sava Center, which was the big shop in it, again decent for cheap videos and game boy games.

Last in it about 7 yrs ago and it was scabby as f**k. The dark bit with the wee white lights was still pretty cool tho, made me feel like I was about 5 again. Halcyon days.

Having a field day on Sainsburys just lately. Tonight I bought 8 jars of pasta sauce (4 Dolmio bake & 4 stir in) for the princely sum of £2. They're dated October '22.

Buffalo Cauliflower wings for 70p.

Own brand shreddies were 45p a box. 3 boxes bought. 

It might genuinely turn into a hobby just looking for their clearance stickers in the aisles. 

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

I don't get this going up and down every aisle whether you want something or not, I was rubbish at following the Covid arrows.

On 02/02/2022 at 18:36, welshbairn said:

I don't get this going up and down every aisle whether you want something or not, I was rubbish at following the Covid arrows.

The first day the one way system was introduced at my local Tesco I was pulled up for heading the wrong way up a one way dreel. 

Did I moan about it on the Covid thread? 

It was a fair cop. 

On 20/01/2022 at 23:59, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The cost of living has gone up.

Lidl is shite though. Why does anyone want to shop for a cabbage next to an off brand Lego set, next to a random shoe.

Some of my best finds have come when shopping for cabbage.