Are supermarkets ripping the piss?

Thorongil

When I was growing up (in Gilmerton, about as far south as you can go in Edinburgh) there was a wee local supermarket called Kibbies. Utterly shite and about twice the size of a large Sainsburys local.

The manager used to sit up in a raised open office type thing and scan the place for wee b*****ds like us who went in to chorie cans of juice.

It was so badly designed and had so few staff that that it was almost ridiculously easy to evade the p***k 😆 I can say without a word of a lie that none of our wee gang ever got caught.

Unsurprisingly it doesnt operate as a supermarket any more.

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Where they do take the piss is that stuff in the small stores- Tesco Metro- is often dearer than if you buy the same stuff in one of their bigger stores.

Tesco in St Andrews is supposedly the most expensive in the UK.

Does not do hardly any of the meal deals, or 2 for 1s, or bogoff or even the white label cheap shit beans and boggroll  etc.

Fuckk the Tax dodging students is official policy.

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Some supermarkets are definitely at it - Tesco in particular with their 'loyalty' clubcard. Their adverts bleat on about the great savings with the clubcard but with massive cuts to loads of items they're not offering loss-leaders. They'll still be making their great profits. In effect they're making even more money when those without a clubcard shop there. I avoid all Tesco and shop in Lidl where the quality and variety of fruit & veg is really good (and not all wrapped in plastic), the bakery goods are excellent, and their specials can sometimes be well worth the money. Thinking on the Ben Bracken 16yo Islay Single Malt here.

I've avoided Tesco for years. I could never work out their pricing, in among all the 'special offers', 3 and a half for the price of one... etc.  Not too surprised when it came out a few years back that in addition to screwing the customers, they also had their suppliers over a barrel, and falsifying accounts.  Great for the shareholders, till it was found out.

16 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Not too surprised when it came out a few years back that in addition to screwing the customers, they also had their suppliers over a barrel

Yeah, their treatment of milk, fish and beef suppliers is a disgrace. I make a point of using a local butcher and getting fish from a fishmonger in Arbroath. I guess shopping in local independents and cutting out the supermarket where possible is maybe the way to go, at least for me.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Where they do take the piss is that stuff in the small stores- Tesco Metro- is often dearer than if you buy the same stuff in one of their bigger stores.

not just the wee stores,if they think theres not much competition locally theyll rip the piss too.tesco are dreadful imo

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

much better for getting through the checkouts,though.aldi are awful in this respect

My local Lidl has about 6 checkout tills, but I think I've seen three of them used at most.  Usually the queue will be the length of an aisle before they open the third one. 

There is no "I'll quickly nip in for X", and it's genuinely quicker in the long run for me to walk to the shop further away for a loaf or whatever. 

I don't know what Lidl's love affair with train stations is, but there have been numerous times where I've gone in for a beer or something 15 mins before a train is due at ~7pm, and had to leave the shopping in there to get back out in time.

54 minutes ago, ListerRRFC said:

There's still a Tesco Metro in Dalgety Bay iirc. 

Now billed as a Superstore for some reason.

12 minutes ago, philpy said:

There's a wee Tesco at the far end of nicol Street in kirkcaldy as well 

Called an Express, there's a similar sized Express on Aberdour Road Dunfermline.

15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

My local Lidl has about 6 checkout tills, but I think I've seen three of them used at most.  Usually the queue will be the length of an aisle before they open the third one. 

There is no "I'll quickly nip in for X", and it's genuinely quicker in the long run for me to walk to the shop further away for a loaf or whatever. 

I don't know what Lidl's love affair with train stations is, but there have been numerous times where I've gone in for a beer or something 15 mins before a train is due at ~7pm, and had to leave the shopping in there to get back out in time.

Have you noticed there’s always a TK Maxx next to train stations too.