Are supermarkets ripping the piss?

Thorongil

To be honest, a daunder around Waitrose locally is actually a highlight of the week (as a50+ aged man).

Good selection of fresh cheeses, hams and better selection of stuff like breads, olives and pies etc. I’ll accept there is a high ratio of arsehole customers, of which I might fall into, but MIlf watch is good compared to Tesco. 

Being more serious, cost of normal stuff such as coffee, tinned foods seems quite stable (probably due to demand and choice from competitors) but I note stuff such as fresh veg and fruit has gone expensive recently.  All these fuel and energy increases, plus labour issues with workers will mean 100% that fresh stuff is going to rocket until production and delivery costs stabilise. 

I don’t think, in answer to original point that supermarkets “are ripping the piss”; more likely they will keep costs down on say to day products, generally due to buying power and demand, whereas private small shops are going to struggle without larger increases.

A lot of companies R.T.P. Just look at BT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60057282

Around two years ago, BT changed how it raised bills, saying it would make one increase a year at the end of March of 3.9% plus inflation as measured by the consumer price index to reflect "rising costs to the business".

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

The jewels in Aldi / Lidl's crown are the decent malt whiskies disguised as some cheapy brand and sold at half the price.

Except the 'Abrachan'.  Truly awful stuff.

Had a couple of really good ones from there before. The Glen Marnoch 12 year old was something like 22 quid and it was tremendous

1 hour ago, mugen_power said:

Had a couple of really good ones from there before. The Glen Marnoch 12 year old was something like 22 quid and it was tremendous

Aye, they're particularly good.  For example, some folk I know were fairly sure that the Islay version of the Glen Marnoch 12yo was excess Bowmore 12yo that the distillery wanted to sell off cheap.  Same with the Highland version being a Glen Ord at one point.

We usually shop in Cameron Toll shopping centre, Edinburgh (Its less Milfwatch, more like dodge the fat fucker on a disability scooter wearing a "I dont need a mask as I have COPD" lanyard).

Local wildlife aside, it has an Aldi and Sainsburys - we start at Aldi, get all the wine, beer, fruit, veg, meat, coffee, other essentials there - then pop into Sainsburys for any branded specifics (son likes chocolate weetabix, etc) or anything out of stock at Aldi.

Dont think its a surprise Aldi has won supermarket of the year, lots of their stuff is excellent quality at good prices.

We also have a Waitrose relatively close, and while the "yummy mummy" quotient is higher, anyone doing their weekly shopping there must be fucking minted (although my Mother in Law tells me the one in Stirling often has discounted stuff toward closing time).

Tescos finest meal deal still a tenner. Bottle of average plonk, main meal for 2, a side, and a pudding.
Multiplied by 7 you cant go wrong. Not gone up in years. Obviously a loss leader. Especially when I order online and don't get sucked into the mundane shit the wife handles like bogroll and washing powder.
M&S ditched the wine in their deal so I no longer frequent.

We’ve started getting Gousto meals recently. £40 something for 4x4 meals and usually a few puddings sneaked in. No waste, really top quality meat and veg and just the amount of spices etc for each meal. End up not buying crap/snacks etc too.

Be lucky Scot gov didn't go the Irish method of minimum unit prices. 

Has absolutely shafted the lidl and aldi knock off brands in the alcohol section. 

It was pretty bad before for example Gordon's gin here was €23 and its knock off €14.

Gordon's remains €23 whilst the knock off is €21

A 24 can pack of Guinness went from €20 to €42.

Utter b*****ds 

8 hours ago, deegee said:

I note stuff such as fresh veg and fruit has gone expensive recently

There is a 17 hour queue to get goods into the country and we haven't even started the Brexit checks proper yet.

If you think this is bad, hold onto your hat.