St Mirren v Aberdeen - 25/1/22

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The SPFL highlights made it look like Aberdeen dominated too.  Clever editing I presume?

Aberdeen were all over us for the entire 90 minutes. It was sheer, unadulterated robbery. They had us on the ropes from the off, and how we stole all three points is beyond me. I’m sure all my fellow Buddies who watched that last night will agree. Jammy, jammy St Mirren. 

…posted at the same time as Dons 1988, who beat me to the punch. 😁

Edited by pozbaird

29 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m wary of it sounding like sour grapes but I’m a little surprised at how positive st Mirren fans are on their performance. 

Don’t get me wrong, they fully deserved to win and off the ball they were much better but other than the goal I was struggling to see much quality at all. 

To put it into context, I thought the games last season, I’m thinking league cup and the game that finished a draw a few weeks later, they absolutely pumped us in both games and I thought they looked a really decent side. Didn’t see that so much last night. 

Agreed, it was a poor game but we worked hard and the only bit of quality won it. 

I thought at the start of the second half Ferguson was getting on the ball a lot and Aberdeen looked to be taking control - this then fizzled out, we scored, and after that it was very comfortable. I think last night underlined Glass's inexperience, all his subs seemed to make you worse rather than better.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agreed, it was a poor game but we worked hard and the only bit of quality won it. 

I thought at the start of the second half Ferguson was getting on the ball a lot and Aberdeen looked to be taking control - this then fizzled out, we scored, and after that it was very comfortable. I think last night underlined Glass's inexperience, all his subs seemed to make you worse rather than better.

Is it only me who thought the first half was meh, but the second half fair rattled by and was enjoyable? Not just for the goal either. I don’t know much, but I know a Gus MacPherson v Billy Reid shitfest in Paisley or Hamilton when I see one. 🤬

Comfortably one of the worst performances I’ve seen from an Aberdeen team in the last 20 years 

So pedestrian, no idea how to open St Mirren up, a genuinely grim watch

If we’re still capable of turning performances like that this deep into Glass’ reign then I’m worried 

Unless we see a big response at the weekend, the knives will be out 

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Aberdeen were all over us for the entire 90 minutes. It was sheer, unadulterated robbery. They had us on the ropes from the off, and how we stole all three points is beyond me. I’m sure all my fellow Buddies who watched that last night will agree. Jammy, jammy St Mirren. 

…posted at the same time as Dons 1988, who beat me to the punch. 😁

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

No, we were robbed. Battered them. 

hahahahaha you guys!11!!!

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Yeah the inability to change the tide of the game was very worrying. 

A combination of a lack of tactical agility and just a sheer lack of quality on the bench. When you’re chucking on JET and mclennan to rescue things you’re in trouble. We could have played all night and not scored or even mustered a shot of note on target. 

35 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m wary of it sounding like sour grapes but I’m a little surprised at how positive st Mirren fans are on their performance. 

Don’t get me wrong, they fully deserved to win and off the ball they were much better but other than the goal I was struggling to see much quality at all. 

To put it into context, I thought the games last season, I’m thinking league cup and the game that finished a draw a few weeks later, they absolutely pumped us in both games and I thought they looked a really decent side. Didn’t see that so much last night. 

We were by no means brilliant but we did what we needed to last night. I think we played some decent stuff and were pretty patient in our play. There are definitely signs of improvement since the winter break but also signs that there is still improvement to come. We created next to nothing, but it was a big win for us given our poor home form & to put a bit of distance between us and the 2 at the bottom. 

I thought Alan Power was probably the best player on the park. That might be indicative of how the game went, not diminishing his ability as a player, but he is key in our midfield to break up everything and allow the more attacking players to do their thing. 

JET needs his contract terminated, what a fucking waste of time that signing was 

His next club will be in the 7th tier of English fitba or he could always join his brother at Huntly

Very poor atmosphere in the away end as well last night, one of the quietest travelling supports I’ve seen

I think our approach to the game just sucked the life out of everyone from the word go 

14 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'll be fucking livid if this doesn't work. Kiltie and McGrath have yet to work well together, albeit the system suits them both better now.

So harsh on Erhahon. I really can't see the logic here. I really can't.

14 hours ago, ulysses said:

Erhahon dropped?!

The f**k is that all about, Jim.

Erhahon was subbed on Saturday after making various mistakes against Ayr. Everyone sees his lovely left foot passing but most fail to see his glaring defensive frailties which is why he is not a first team regular. And even when he came on last night he gave the ball away twice in crucial situations which thankfully we were not punished for.

And as an aside McGrath was up against Ramsay and Hedges and never gave them a look in and played some decent stuff himself. Good call by Jim.

A massive and well deserved 3 points last night, what a hit from young Ronan to win the game.

It was a huge call from Jim Goodwin to play Jamie McGrath but it definitely worked out well. 

Not the most pleasing of games to watch, but we were better second half Gregg Kiltie once again showing up really well. Jay Henderson has been like a new signing and continues to show great maturity in his game, given he’s still a young lad. 

Finding ways to win games is very pleasing. Let’s keep it going on sat at Dens.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m wary of it sounding like sour grapes ...

That's because it is sour grapes, irrespective of whether you wish to make it sound like that or not. You were at it during the game, you are at it now.

One point regarding the possession, Aberdeen can have all the possession they want when it's around their own box as their defence and keeper make a mockery of trying to play out from the back.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’ve lost me again, sorry. 

Not for the first time either.

The less charitable amongst us may suggest you have trouble keeping up, which might explain your judgement on last night's game.

Me? Oh, I'm full of endless charity and I'm sure it's just unfortunate your comments sound like sour grapes.. ;)

Not the greatest of games. However in the second half we had some good breakaways where we outnumbered the Dons defence but the final ball was very poor. Bit more composure and there could have been a couple of goals in it, but the fact we made those dangerous breakaways is heartening. Good to see the midfield also employed for once and not just watching the ball sail over their heads with hoofball. Hopefully once the players adjust to the new formation and tactics we will see further improvement.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not for the first time either.

The less charitable amongst us may suggest you have trouble keeping up, which might explain your judgement on last night's game.

Me? Oh, I'm full of endless charity and I'm sure it's just unfortunate your comments sound like sour grapes.. ;)

I’m not sure what you think this is. If you want to try and convince me that st Mirren put in a performance full of quality on the ball then I’m open minded. But I’ll be honest, I think you’ll struggle. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I’m really really hoping Bologna don’t sign up to P&B to ask the options of folk on this thread. That might really put any Ramsey bid in jeopardy. Yikes!

3.5 million for Ramsay? 😂

I lost count of the amount of times McGrath sent him over to Cosmo’s chippy on Love Street.

It was two mid table sides matching each other for 90 minutes. There wasn't a single good chance created the entire match, and the goal was simply a great strike.