St Mirren v Aberdeen - 25/1/22

Sums up the difference between Dandies and Diddies.

The 4-1 game in December, we gave St Mirren all kinds of credit for the way they played - and fully acknowledged that if Marley hadn't made it 3-1 straight after their goal, that it would have been a really long second half.

Last night, an aberration of a game - with the home side happy to flood their midfield and let the away team have possession.  Valid enough tactics, but very much the bottomfeeding football that led to our fans hunting McInnes for doing similar in too many games.

Nevertheless, a very good goal, so far out of keeping with the garbage served up by both sides. 

For AFC, the lack of any urgency or seemingly any idea what to do after the goal, and the sheer ineffectiveness of all three 'attacking' substitutes was the biggest worry. Hedges wasn't great last night, but remains a decent ball carrier - he went off around the time of the goal, and there was absolutely nothing there for the remainder of the game.  If we are to take a couple of hundred grand for an early departure, there is nothing from within to replace that right now, unless we're pinning our hopes on a couple of 20 year olds.

Edited by tarapoa

49 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Quite right - one of the main culprits was Ronan, I'm sure that is what lead to him being the one subbed. His passing was poor all night but he did score a belter.

Yeah, definitely. Ronan wasn't having a great game until he scored, and it wasn't really a surprise when he was hooked. Power gave the ball away a lot as well. He made up for it with his ballwinning and presence, but he made plenty of mistakes on the ball.

10 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Anyway two comedy moments last night. 
St Mirren player picking up the ball from a drop ball and the ref deciding to re-drop the ball and later deciding to even things up by allowing an Aberdeen player to deliberately grab the ball after tripping over it and falling over. 

I would agree if the referee actually dropped the ball in the first instance rather than throw it in his direction. I thought he'd taken leave of his senses and given a free-kick from that so wasn't surprised the ball was picked up.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I would agree if the referee actually dropped the ball in the first instance rather than throw it in his direction. I thought he'd taken leave of his senses and given a free-kick from that so wasn't surprised the ball was picked up.

From the south stand it certainly looked like what has now become the norm for uncontested drop balls. 

1 minute ago, DumbartonBud said:

From the south stand it certainly looked like what has now become the norm for uncontested drop balls. 

I think the by-the-book decision there would have been a free kick to Aberdeen.  Some Dons players were certainly asking for it.

But the ref realised what had happened, and dropped the ball again.

Fraser really should have realised what the ref was doing.  If it had been a freekick it was 30 yards away from where the ref was giving him the ball.

Didn't really think either team did enough to merit all three points last night to be honest, but I've seen us play loads better in games and not get what I felt we deserved so I guess last night was just a case of lady luck levelling out.

Wasn't a big fan of starting McGrath, Kiltie and Ronan. Don't think it really worked to be honest.

The upturn in fortunes following the break has been built on that back four who are looking more and more assured with each game. When we were picking up points before the break I typically felt it was because Alnwick had saved us. That's not massively been the case against either Utd or Aberdeen since we reverted to the four.

Sure, he's made saves, but nothing like the numbers or quality of saves he was producing week in week out when we were playing with a 3.

Fraser and Joe have been two of our top performers all season but Chilli D and Tanser both look very comfortable in that four now and they look like a proper unit.

We've got some very good talent in the middle of the pitch but we do need to find a balance. We're desperately crying out for a quick left sided player to do on that side what Jay is doing on the right.

Good bit of churn to come in the next few days you'd think.

Any of Erwin, Main, Dennis, McAllister, or Millar could move on and I don't think we'd be massively weakened.

However well St Mirren played or didn't play, the fact remains that we got what we deserved last night, absolutely nothing.

If we still see ourselves as a big club with designs at the top end of the table then we need to squat away the challenges set up by bottom six teams.

With all due respect to the Saints, if we're losing six points in a season at Paisley then we should fully expect to be competing in the bottom six ourselves. It simply isn't good enough.

2 hours ago, Div said:

Didn't really think either team did enough to merit all three points last night to be honest, but I've seen us play loads better in games and not get what I felt we deserved so I guess last night was just a case of lady luck levelling out.

Wasn't a big fan of starting McGrath, Kiltie and Ronan. Don't think it really worked to be honest.

The upturn in fortunes following the break has been built on that back four who are looking more and more assured with each game. When we were picking up points before the break I typically felt it was because Alnwick had saved us. That's not massively been the case against either Utd or Aberdeen since we reverted to the four.

Sure, he's made saves, but nothing like the numbers or quality of saves he was producing week in week out when we were playing with a 3.

Fraser and Joe have been two of our top performers all season but Chilli D and Tanser both look very comfortable in that four now and they look like a proper unit.

We've got some very good talent in the middle of the pitch but we do need to find a balance. We're desperately crying out for a quick left sided player to do on that side what Jay is doing on the right.

Good bit of churn to come in the next few days you'd think.

Any of Erwin, Main, Dennis, McAllister, or Millar could move on and I don't think we'd be massively weakened.

I think we absolutely did enough to merit the three points. It may not have been game of the century, and we might not have resembled Brazil 1970, but you know what? I just don’t care. Not a jot. My usual home matchday experience involves gaining no points, after what is usually a trouser-troubling ninety minutes. The evening ends with me quietly slipping out of the ground and pondering the decision to renew my ST for another season of shite at the dinkydome theatre of bad dreams.

Last night we were never in danger of losing, never in danger of throwing away a lead (another of our dinkydome traits). More games like last night will do me fine this season. 😎

Edited by pozbaird