St Mirren v Aberdeen - 25/1/22

39 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, happy to hold my hands up there. Erhahon was abysmal when he came on and you suspect he may be in for another spell on the bench - unless McGrath moves on and Ronan pushes forward.

I thought McGrath was ok, but wouldn't go overboard. I genuinely think Kiltie is doing more of what I'd expect someone in that role to be doing, in terms of movement, beating players, killer passes, etc. Given that they're the same age, I think we've replaced quite well.

Obviously the sickener is wondering where we'd be in the league had we been playing this way for longer - Kiltie is simply a different player in this formation. Still, it's fine; we're heading in the right direction again and I'll relax.

Aye same.

Erhahon came on to calm things down for us but ended up causing a bit of havoc.

Alan Power though, incredible again. Really under appreciated player. Was made for games like last night.

Erhahon is still pretty young to be fair. I think he should have a bit more credit in the bank than people are allowing him. He seems to be a real boo boy target online, with quite a few waiting for any mistake to jump down his throat. He wasn't great last night, he had one really bad pass that put us under pressure, and that one where the ball got booted at him knee height by Power (I think) completely ignoring the massive overlap on the other side, that ran past him and again put us under pressure, but he wasn't the only player giving the ball away.

That was one of the worst games of football I watched last night, neither team look decent and it could end up with both in the bottom 6 this season. The only moment of quality come from St Mirren goal which was a great hit. 

Aberdeen away form is really bad - Last 12 games: Won 1 Drawn 2 Lost 9. 

For all the agitation on here, I'll be honest - I thought Aberdeen looked OK from about 25 minutes in until we scored. Nothing amazing but there was at least 2 or 3 occasions where they were letting fly from distance and was expecting the ball to burst the net.

We started the game well, showed a lot of expansive football and attacking intent in first 15 minutes and from there just sort of stopped doing it. Whether that was Aberdeen not letting us or ourselves running out of ideas, I'm not sure. Even the goal was a good summary of the game, a decent bit of play, a mishit cross that looked like it would come to nothing. It just so turned out that Connor Ronan is a fucking magic wee player and found that back post just lovely.

And from there everything just really stopped. We played like a team 1-0 up and holding a lead but damningly, so did Aberdeen.

13 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

always enjoy a wee laugh at the dons support who still think they are a big club 😂

Oh the irnoy

Brilliant, accusations of ideas above our station from the man calling his team's rivals a diddy team in his signature 🤣

Edited by Sheep62

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For all the agitation on here, I'll be honest - I thought Aberdeen looked OK from about 25 minutes in until we scored. Nothing amazing but there was at least 2 or 3 occasions where they were letting fly from distance and was expecting the ball to burst the net.

We started the game well, showed a lot of expansive football and attacking intent in first 15 minutes and from there just sort of stopped doing it. Whether that was Aberdeen not letting us or ourselves running out of ideas, I'm not sure. Even the goal was a good summary of the game, a decent bit of play, a mishit cross that looked like it would come to nothing. It just so turned out that Connor Ronan is a fucking magic wee player and found that back post just lovely.

And from there everything just really stopped. We played like a team 1-0 up and holding a lead but damningly, so did Aberdeen.

The most honest and balanced post on here this morning.

On behalf of St Mirren FC, I can only apologise for that totally unacceptable victory last night. Having been played off the park and utterly dominated by the Dons, to then go and score a goal whilst simultaneously not allowing Aberdeen to score a goal crossed a line.

The sheer audacity. Bold as brass.

Sorry lads.

3 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

On behalf of St Mirren FC, I can only apologise for that totally unacceptable victory last night. Having been played off the park and utterly dominated by the Dons, to then go and score a goal whilst simultaneously not allowing Aberdeen to score a goal crossed a line.

The sheer audacity. Bold as brass.

Sorry lads.

del bosque soccer GIF by Fusion

27 minutes ago, GAD said:

Erhahon is still pretty young to be fair. I think he should have a bit more credit in the bank than people are allowing him. He seems to be a real boo boy target online, with quite a few waiting for any mistake to jump down his throat. He wasn't great last night, he had one really bad pass that put us under pressure, and that one where the ball got booted at him knee height by Power (I think) completely ignoring the massive overlap on the other side, that ran past him and again put us under pressure, but he wasn't the only player giving the ball away.

Quite right - one of the main culprits was Ronan, I'm sure that is what lead to him being the one subbed. His passing was poor all night but he did score a belter.

We've really drawn too many games this season so good to see us get a win without being particularly great and builds on the 3 points at Tannadice. In all honesty, 8 points from the last 5 games is a decent return given we've played Rangers, Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hibs and Celtic.

It pretty drab game with the exception of a great strike from Ronan. Jim dropping the 3-5-2 has helped and we look so much more confortable with the new system which suits the squad. Brophy hbeing back instread of the immobile Main is an improvement too. Defensively the team seemd fairly hard to beat and it was probably the most comfortable I've seen us sitting on a 1-0 lead.

Aberdeen were really poor, just lacked creativity to break us down and their substitutions actually made them worse.  They were so slow in possession, it let us get back in shape as they ponderously played it out from the back. Bates looks remarkably uncomfortable doing that too, when he wasn't playing 10 yard sideways passes he gave the ball away several times, including one time, where when tackled he fell over and just grabbed the ball before Aberdeen came away with possession - how the referee and linesman missed it I don't know.

Special mention for the ref for the worst drop ball ever, when he threw it at Fraser who picked it up thinking he was giving it back for a free kick 🤣. At least he did it properly second time round.

Anyway two comedy moments last night. 
St Mirren player picking up the ball from a drop ball and the ref deciding to re-drop the ball and later deciding to even things up by allowing an Aberdeen player to deliberately grab the ball after tripping over it and falling over. 

48 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Started slowly at Ibrox, played poor last week. Still couldn't beat us.

March 2019 the last time Aberdeen beat us, we are hardly cowering in fear.

Definitely not dropped points for Rangers*.  

No siree.