Hearts vs Celtic: Wednesday 26th Jan 2022

1 hour ago, Squonk said:

I wonder how the Celtic fans who normally claim that 'Brother Beaton' would do anything in his power to help his favoured Ibrox-based franchise can explain away his failure to administer Nir Bitton with a deserved second yellow card last night for a blatant and intentional handball staring him in the face a few short yards away.

The IFAB rules on deliberate handball leave no wiggle room for subjectivity. It was as clear a yellow card as it's possible to get, yet Beaton inexplicably baulked at the prospect of sending off a player from one of the two biggest supported clubs, a club he supposedly hates with a passion.

I'm not sure which "IFAB rules on deliberate handball" you are reading, but the actual ones here have lots and lots of "wiggle room". There is a misconception about what is and isn't a yellow card for handball. It is very clearly a foul, but a handball is only a yellow card in these circumstances if it is done to "interfere with or stop a promising attack". That is by no means a straightforward and obvious definition.

For me the Bitton one doesn't fall into that category. If the ball gets through to McKay then he's in a wide area, about 50 yards from goal, facing his own goal and with loads of Celtic defenders goalside. For me a "promising attack" is something that will get fans starting to be out of their seats and expecting a chance of a goal, for example a 3 on 2 or something like that. You can basically think of it as "if he tripped him in that area of the park would you be expecting a yellow", because it's the exact same definition used for that.

Edited by craigkillie

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You didn’t take note because he wasn’t on a yellow already if he was you would be wanting him off like you rare Bitton.

But if he didn’t book O’Riley how can he then possibly give Bitton a 2nd yellow for pretty much the same thing? 

Sure.  I thought the Bitton one was a yellow card well before I'd worked out it was a 2nd yellow, cause I don't sit with a spreadsheet open tallying the cards at games.

I can't remember the o'Riley one at all.  Might l have been unsighted, no looking, whatever.

I was more annoyed he got away with it after I did twig he'd been booked in fairness, but it was a textbook yellow no matter what.

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

So you complain about whataboutery to then go on and indulge in whataboutery

Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette

Point taken, so I'll apologise, retract my comment and rephrase. Whatabout  If Kent or Morelos handled the ball at Celtic Park in the exact same way as Bitton did, would that constitute a yellow card offence? 

12 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Presumably being filmed at half time.

Being two nil down 

Singing a song to the tune of a beautiful south song

Reminding everyone that the beautiful south was a band that existed 

Haud me back lad at sixteen seconds 

Offffft... is that the Gorgie pavement dancing team? Strong contenders, should give the English outfits a run for their money with this number. And that chant... peak Jambons

3 minutes ago, Squonk said:

Point taken, so I'll apologise, retract my comment and rephrase. Whatabout  If Kent or Morelos handled the ball at Celtic Park in the exact same way as Bitton did, would that constitute a yellow card offence? 

I'm sure every Celtic fan would be shouting for it but that doesn't mean the ref is going to give it M8.

5 hours ago, Squonk said:

In isolation then possibly yes but that isn’t the point which you have failed to acknowledge

The point is he failed to book a player for the exact same thing earlier that half so how can he then book Bitton? Would that not evidence inconsistency with a referees decision making because if 1 player is on a yellow it doesn’t automatically make it more of an offence does it?

But none of you care or remember the O’Riley one because he wasn’t on a yellow so there is no advantage gained. You either want the refs to be consistent or you don’t 

Edited by Jinky67

5 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Not talking about the penalty. A handball was given against O’Riley early in the second half in the middle of the park. Foul given but no booking but no one is batting an eyelid because he wasn’t on a yellow card.

Same offence both no bookings so you could say the ref was consistent in his decision making 

You can argue it’s the wrong decision but then you would have inconsistency in how refs apply the rules and treating the same offence with a different outcome

Everyone round me in the Main Stand went apeshit O'Riley wasn't booked for that.

43 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

In isolation then possibly yes but that isn’t the point which you have failed to acknowledge

The point is he failed to book a player for the exact same thing earlier that half so how can he then book Bitton? Would that not evidence inconsistency with a referees decision making because if 1 player is on a yellow it doesn’t automatically make it more of an offence does it?

But none of you care or remember the O’Riley one because he wasn’t on a yellow so there is no advantage gained. You either want the refs to be consistent or you don’t 

I don’t think the defence of “the ref got 1 decision wrong so he was justified in getting another decision wrong” is a very good one 😂

(of course I jest, I've not seen the incidents)

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

So because Beaton failed to book a Celtic player for a deliberate handball then he can't book a Celtic player later on for a deliberate handball, is that what is being claimed here?

That does seem to be the, rather bizarre, suggestion.

I mean, I'm not convinced myself that either was necessarily a stick-on booking, but both could easily have been, and the suggestion that getting one decision wrong means the ref has to continue to get similar decisions wrong is a wee bit odd.