Hearts vs Celtic: Wednesday 26th Jan 2022

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

That handball wasn’t deliberate.

The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

Ok, I'll type this next bit really slowly in the hope you might finally be able to join up all the dots.

Imagine a referee who spends some of his free-time in Rangers*-friendly pubs, but only when he's not rolling up his trouser leg and interfering with goats (allegedly). Imagine he has the perfect opportunity to hinder Rangers'* title rival by sending off a Celtic player who has just given him an open invitation to dish out a card. The ref can easily get away with this action because the Celtic player visibly raised his hand to stop the ball passing him and reaching an opponent.

Now, just why wouldn't 'Brother Beaton' accept such an Iwelumo-standard tap in? 

5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Is there another club that has threads littered with comments about terrorism an child abuse, btw?

Tbf I think it's mainly Hearts fans that bring that up on these threads, I haven't seen any Celtic fans starting any posts with 'pIRA noncing is good'

1 minute ago, Squonk said:

Ok, I'll type this next bit really slowly in the hope you might finally be able to join up all the dots.

Imagine a referee who spends some of his free-time in Rangers*-friendly pubs, but only when he's not rolling up his trouser leg and interfering with goats (allegedly). Imagine he has the perfect opportunity to hinder Rangers'* title rival by sending off a Celtic player who has just given him an open invitation to dish out a card. The ref can easily get away with this action because the Celtic player visibly raised his hand to stop the ball passing him and reaching an opponent.

I think you can be a Rangers fan and be unbiased at the same time which I think Beaton is tbh, at least not consciously anyway. He let’s a lot more stuff go in general than other refs I find too. I assume the handball you are talking about thought isn’t the penalty? I can remember another handball around the Halfway last night but was in the pub so didn’t hear the commentary and don’t think it came up on the highlights this morning either.

4 minutes ago, Squonk said:

image.gif.0581e5b2b0ee7ae7b94ccdd044b9b150.gif

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I think you can be a Rangers fan and be unbiased at the same time which I think Beaton is tbh, at least not consciously anyway. He let’s a lot more stuff go in general than other refs I find too. I assume the handball you are talking about thought isn’t the penalty? I can remember another handball around the Halfway last night but was in the pub so didn’t hear the commentary and don’t think it came up on the highlights this morning either.

It was Matt O’Riley….also wasn’t booked for it

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It was the one on the halfway line.  You'd get booked for it 99 times out of 100 but he got lucky

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

It was the one on the halfway line.  You'd get booked for it 99 times out of 100 but he got lucky

Wouldn’t that be 98 times out of 100 considering both players weren’t booked for the exact same offence? 

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Wouldn’t that be 98 times out of 100 considering both players weren’t booked for the exact same offence? 

They weren't the same offence, the penalty was not a deliberate attempt to stop the ball running through to someone, which would be a yellow card

6 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

They weren't the same offence, the penalty was not a deliberate attempt to stop the ball running through to someone, which would be a yellow card

Not talking about the penalty. A handball was given against O’Riley early in the second half in the middle of the park. Foul given but no booking but no one is batting an eyelid because he wasn’t on a yellow card.

Same offence both no bookings so you could say the ref was consistent in his decision making 

You can argue it’s the wrong decision but then you would have inconsistency in how refs apply the rules and treating the same offence with a different outcome

Edited by Jinky67

Just now, Jinky67 said:

Not talking about the penalty. A handball was given against O’Riley early in the second half in the middle of the park. Foul given but no booking but no one is batting an eyelid because he wasn’t on a yellow card.

Same offence both no bookings so you could say the ref was consistent in his decision making however no one is batting an eyelid at O’Rileys handball or do they even care as he wasn’t on a yellow at the time of it happening.

Not sure I even saw the O'Riley one tbf - if it was as blatant as Bitton's he should have been booked for it though

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Same offence both no bookings so you could say the ref was consistent in his decision making 

Aye, but whatabout whataboutery, but? Two wrongs don't make a right. Let's put it this way; if it had been Ryan Kent or Alfredo Morelos at Celtic Park who'd handled the ball identically to how Bitton handled it, you'd have been apoplectic with rage if they'd not seen a second yellow.

6 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Not sure I even saw the O'Riley one tbf - if it was as blatant as Bitton's he should have been booked for it though

You didn’t take note because he wasn’t on a yellow already if he was you would be wanting him off like you are Bitton.

But if he didn’t book O’Riley how can he then possibly give Bitton a 2nd yellow for pretty much the same thing? 

Edited by Jinky67

Just now, Squonk said:

Aye, but whatabout whataboutery, but? Two wrongs don't make a right. Let's put it this way; if it had been Ryan Kent or Alfredo Morelos at Celtic Park who'd handled the ball identically to how Bitton handled it, you'd have been apoplectic with rage if they'd not seen a second yellow.

So you complain about whataboutery to then go on and indulge in whataboutery

Jagged Little Pill GIF by Alanis Morissette