Hearts vs Celtic: Wednesday 26th Jan 2022

I have sifted through this bin fire of a post 4 times now and still not quite sure what you are asking or stating. I say again, best leaving this be.

The evil in the world comes almost always from ignorance, and goodwill can cause as much damage as ill-will if it is not enlightened. People are more often good than bad, though in fact that is not the question. But they are more or less ignorant and this is what one calls vice or virtue, the most appalling vice being the ignorance that thinks it knows everything and which consequently authorizes itself to kill. The murderer's soul is blind, and there is no true goodness or fine love without the greatest possible degree of clear-sightedness

Jean Paul Satre mid 20th century french philosopher, playwright, novelist and social secretary of Montmartrois Hearts Supporters Club

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The evil in the world comes almost always from ignorance, and goodwill can cause as much damage as ill-will if it is not enlightened. People are more often good than bad, though in fact that is not the question. But they are more or less ignorant and this is what one calls vice or virtue, the most appalling vice being the ignorance that thinks it knows everything and which consequently authorizes itself to kill. The murderer's soul is blind, and there is no true goodness or fine love without the greatest possible degree of clear-sightedness

Jean Paul Satre mid 20th century french philosopher, playwright, novelist and social secretary of Montmartrois Hearts Supporters Club

I must have missed that episode of topcat, which is unlike me I had the board game and everything.

Edited by gannonball

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Was he asked about demetri Mitchell? 

11 hours ago, gannonball said:

Passing off an entirely subjective opinion as a matter of fact is the true calling card of a moron so I think we best leave this be tbh.

I was with you until this point, you were making quite sensible points - but you've had a bit of a nightmare from this post on.

That Celtic fans sing about the IRA, a terrorist organisation by definition*, at Tynecastle, is a fact. It's bizarre to claim otherwise.

TBH, I don't care that they do in the slightest - Hearts fans have sung some absolutely bloody terrible things over the years, and so have fans of pretty much every other club (Rangers fans most commonly, but I've even heard Ross County fans chant the occasional naughty word or two), but the fact that they do is about as subjective as the fact that today is Wednesday. 

* If your claim of subjectivity is regarding the IRA's status as terrorists then, while you're entitled to believe they shouldn't be so defined, that is exactly how they are legally defined in this country, so to state that they are isn't opinion; again, it's fact.

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

No but I don’t think anybody has yet asked Demetri Mitchell about Jean-Paul Satre either

I believe the general consensus is that he was brilliant in his early work, but hugely disappointing when he returned to philosophy after a spell away, and that in any case, Jimmy Dunne was a far deeper thinker.

3 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

And yet, you didnt.

Next time there's a celtic v Hertz thread, why not post all of your predictions early doors?  This will allow you to post about your remarkable insight later. 

:thumsup2

You’ve always struck me as fairly sensible on here, so quite why you’ve twice had a pop at my admittedly half hearted efforts is something to reflect on. 

15 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

I was with you until this point, you were making quite sensible points - but you've had a bit of a nightmare from this post on.

That Celtic fans sing about the IRA, a terrorist organisation by definition*, at Tynecastle, is a fact. It's bizarre to claim otherwise.

TBH, I don't care that they do in the slightest - Hearts fans have sung some absolutely bloody terrible things over the years, and so have fans of pretty much every other club (Rangers fans most commonly, but I've even heard Ross County fans chant the occasional naughty word or two), but the fact that they do is about as subjective as the fact that today is Wednesday. 

* If your claim of subjectivity is regarding the IRA's status as terrorists then, while you're entitled to believe they shouldn't be so defined, that is exactly how they are legally defined in this country, so to state that they are isn't opinion; again, it's fact.

I get some of your points however The ‘IRA’ were around and then defunct before terrorism laws were ever brought in I think. Of course we now sing songs of other organisations and their members and I would rather we didn’t. I think I am starting another bin fire here myself though.

Edited by gannonball

18 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Agree with all of this, including the part about our own support, past and present.

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

If your claim of subjectivity is regarding the IRA's status as terrorists then, while you're entitled to believe they shouldn't be so defined, that is exactly how they are legally defined in this country, so to state that they are isn't opinion; again, it's fact.

Mince, it's based on your own individual perspective (one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter).
Legally defined is fecking hilarious, get officer dibble on the case. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

one man's terrorist is another's free fighter.

The distinction is a false dichotomy.

"Terrorism" refers to a method the "Freedom fighter" refers to an objective. 

Arguments that the later excludes the former invariably boil down to "The ends justify the means"

It's a statement that's equally vacuous morally and intellectually

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

18 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Mince, it's based on your own individual perspective (one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter).

And there you go. The sensible discussion is over - the fools have arrived.

20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

No cause can be used as justification for innocent children being ripped to shreds by nail-bombs, whilst being pushed around shopping centres in their prams. Freedom fighters fight soldiers, they do not murder innocents.

I actually support a unified Ireland, although I don't really see it as my place to get involved. I also support an independent Scotland, but I do not believe in "at any cost". 

The IRA and all their little off-shoots are terrorist organisations. 

Edited by Kyle Reese