Hearts vs Celtic: Wednesday 26th Jan 2022

With all due respect to Auchinleck and and Alloa we can cast at least one eye forward to the 3rd meeting of Edinburgh and Glasgow's establishment teams this season.

Events in Aberdeen will have sparked hope for those of the Celtic minded persuasion but Hearts away is precisely the kind of fixture where they might squander that opportunity. Hearts on the other hand now have a cushion over the rest of the pack so a draw wouldn't be too bad a result

The John Souttar soap opera will hang over this and there's a distinct chance he'll end up playing against Celtic for Hearts and for Rangers in quick succession

And on top of that there's the decision to put home fans in sections H & J and a load of fuss about whether players are available because of international tournaments

Hearts Celtic threads are usually shitfests but this could be a real doozy

I’m rarely confident about this fixture. Only time I ever am is early season fixtures, when we have a good team, like this season. More hope than expectation for this one, from me. It was vital we beat St Johnstone to add to the other two victories in our winning run, that cushion of eight and ten points over Motherwell and Hibs was important, with two games against the old firm coming.

1 hour ago, Kyle Reese said:

I’m rarely confident about this fixture. Only time I ever am is early season fixtures, when we have a good team, like this season. More hope than expectation for this one, from me. It was vital we beat St Johnstone to add to the other two victories in our winning run, that cushion of eight and ten points over Motherwell and Hibs was important, with two games against the old firm coming.

Although when you look at it like that we're closer to Celtic than we are to Hibs

Anyway Hibs and Motherwell play that evening so at least one of them is dropping points

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although when you look at it like that we're closer to Celtic than we are to Hibs

Anyway Hibs and Motherwell play that evening so at least one of them is dropping points

Yep. The coming weeks are a wee mini tournament between us Motherwell and Hibs. Actually quite annoyed at the timing of this John Souttar circus. We really don’t need any distractions at such an important juncture. That eight point lead was vital imo. Maybe the Souttar thing will actually galvanise the players and push them on to fight harder, who knows. Maybe it will push us on enough to take points off the OF. 

If Celtic play like they did in the first half against us it will be a routine 3 points for them.

Celtic seem to have improved a lot over the last month or so, even their soft central defence seems to have toughened up.

Hearts are the best of the rest though, so it should be a good indicator of how the rest of the season is going.

0-4

If Celtic play like they did in the first half against us it will be a routine 3 points for them.
Celtic seem to have improved a lot over the last month or so, even their soft central defence seems to have toughened up.
Hearts are the best of the rest though, so it should be a good indicator of how the rest of the season is going.
0-4

It’s a big ask

We could really do with Scottish football’s legendary dark shadowy anti Catholic conspiracy finally getting off it’s collective arse and getting round to doing something for once

Always seems to be an interesting fixture here. Late goals and drama such as the one to start this season or Rodgers first, sometimes an absolute pumping like the one to end the unbeaten streak, occasional attack on a manager. Rarely a boring 2-0 or 3-1. So 2-0 Celtic with the first around half an hour and second at 55 minutes, no reds or dodgy penalties or absolutely anything of note at all.

Going to be interesting this one with what looks likely to be our entire first choice midfield out, thank f**k we have added a few midfielders even though they haven’t really played together. I assume the newest O’riley will start with Hatate and either Bitton/Mccarthy. 

18 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Going to be interesting this one with what looks likely to be our entire first choice midfield out, thank f**k we have added a few midfielders even though they haven’t really played together. I assume the newest O’riley will start with Hatate and either Bitton/Mccarthy. 

Who's missing for Celtic?

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

In midfield? Mcgregor Turnbull and Rogic. 
Upfront Kyogos still injured, Maedas been called up and Im not sure how bad Abadas injury was on Saturday. 

Meant overall, but you answered that anyway.

Glad Rogic and Kyogo are out. Of the players that I've seen much of at Celtic, they are two of the three that give me the most concern. The other is Jota. Not seen much of the new players, but if Maedas is the Japanese forward with the shaven head, then I saw his stats from his last game, and he appears to be a very good capture.

I'm reluctant to start getting over-confident when a team has a lot of players missing. I've seen it at teams with far less resources than Celtic, where they've had to put a team together using subs and unfancied reserves, and they've pulled together to get the job done. A very shite Hibs team on paper once did that to us. Can't remember if it was a draw or if we got beat. Might have been the game where Riordan score a penalty and some boy ran on the pitch to confront him.

Celtic really do have much greater player resources than us though, so I don't expect a massive drop in quality, nor the task to be all that less of a test.