Is Boris Johnson the worst PM of all time?

Richey Edwards

16 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I read a quote in the paper a couple of days ago, think it was since WW2, we have had 14 PM's and 10 of them have been Tory.
Incredibly dispiriting reading.........

Which one of Atlee, Wilson, Callaghan, Blair and Brown are you counting as a tory?

4 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I read a quote in the paper a couple of days ago, think it was since WW2, we have had 14 PM's and 10 of them have been Tory.
Incredibly dispiriting reading.........

I was born in 1955, the GE that year was the last time that more Scots voted Conservative than for any other party.  Yet in the ensuing years we have probably endured twice as many years of Tory rule than Labour rule.

In other words the government being foisted on Scotland is definitely not of our choosing.  For those who see Scotland as simply an adjunct to rUK this will not be an issue, for those of us who recognise Scotland as a country in its own right this highlights the democratic deficit that exists.

I was just leaving primary school when Thatcher came to power so witnessed the destruction of many industries and their communities that her policies caused.
Much as I personally dislike what she stood for it can be said that she was a respected political figure by other leaders overseas whether allies or foes of the UK.
The current PM on the other hand is making the UK an international laughing stock.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it wasn't for Neville buying us time we'd all be speaking German m8.

I know you are probably being ironic with that but effectively handing Hitler the keys to the Skoda works may well have been what tipped the balance in 1940 where the invasion of France was concerned.

I was just leaving primary school when Thatcher came to power so witnessed the destruction of many industries and their communities that her policies caused.
Much as I personally dislike what she stood for it can be said that she was a respected political figure by other leaders overseas whether allies or foes of the UK.
The current PM on the other hand is making the UK an international laughing stock.

It’s like comparing Cruela Deville with Hugo Agogo from Batfink

Yea both of them are villains but one is a shit villain

45 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I know you are probably being ironic with that but effectively handing Hitler the keys to the Skoda works may well have been what tipped the balance in 1940 where the invasion of France was concerned.

I think it was more German soldiers being full of meth and choking for war while the British and French soldiers had little interest in fighting. 

My view is that you normally need a bit of time after the end of a premiership to get an overall view of how terrible a PM has been. 

Cameron's legacy now is probably worse than in 2016 as we see the absolute clusterfuck unfold. 

May's attempts to manage Cameron's clusterfuck looked (and were) dreadful at the time she was being pummelled in the HoC on a weekly basis. But what's happened since provides a bit more context and she's potentially benefitted from that in terms of legacy - even if still shite. 

Johnson is an absolute impostor in every level. The stuff he's pushing through beyond his pandemic mgt is frightening. I expect his legacy to be comfortably the worst in my living memory. 

Just now, HTG said:

My view is that you normally need a bit of time after the end of a premiership to get an overall view of how terrible a PM has been. 

Cameron's legacy now is probably worse than in 2016 as we see the absolute clusterfuck unfold. 

May's attempts to manage Cameron's clusterfuck looked (and were) dreadful at the time she was being pummelled in the HoC on a weekly basis. But what's happened since provides a bit more context and she's potentially benefitted from that in terms of legacy - even if still shite. 

May always struck me as one of those PMs who has managed to leave no legacy whatsoever. She oversaw furious water-treading and then got booted out by her own party. Just a nothing of a politician whose nonexistent policies one could neither love or hate, ultimately. Is she associated with anything other than not doing anything?*

* I realise “not doing anything” is preferable to what the Tories can and do usually do.