Divisional Round

peasy23

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

There's a four inch long furrow in the turf where the nose of the ball had been dragged across it. Call should be overturned

The ball touching the ground isn't enough to overturn it, though.

Had that been ruled incomplete on the field it would have stayed that way too IMO.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

The ball touching the ground isn't enough to overturn it, though.

Had that been ruled incomplete on the field it would have stayed that way too IMO.

It is if the ground has clearly helped establish possession. 

Different if it's merely a touch of the turf, but the fact there's a four inch long mark shows that it wouldn't have been caught without the ground helping.

2 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Have they changed the rules so the ball can hit the ground before catching it? Should have been called incomplete.

No, it's just complicated and nuanced. Merely touching the ground has never been a determining factor, it depends on whether or not the possession is established regardless of the ball touching the turf. Generally if it's just a touch where contact is simultaneous with the catch and the ball doesn't move, then you'll get away with it. It's different when you 'trap' the ball because then the ground is considered to have helped establish the catch, which is what I think has happened here.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

No, it's just complicated and nuanced. Merely touching the ground has never been a determining factor, it depends on whether or not the possession is established regardless of the ball touching the turf. Generally if it's just a touch where contact is simultaneous with the catch and the ball doesn't move, then you'll get away with it. It's different when you 'trap' the ball because then the ground is considered to have helped establish the catch, which is what I think has happened here.

In that case, and I confess I didn't fully understand the rules, I can see why they stuck with the onfield call. He is clearly catching that ball regardless, the ground doesn't help him.