Albums of 2022

NotThePars

Probably telling that I only remembered this went on sale today about ten minutes ago and it looks like two sections of the Hydro are sold out for this.
5.thumb.png.422f3be1acdd5c13e6e831caa8059a75.png
£10 of fees! An extra £6 for a physical ticket which mugs/luddites like me will pay out of sheet stubbornness! Not even counting delivery costs.
I've not seen them in two albums and they put on a show, I'm telling myself that. 

This was my outlay; painfully [emoji1787]

3790c78a621984306272a20d052181b7.jpg

On 12/05/2022 at 20:18, Miguel Sanchez said:

I am definitely much more underwhelmed than I was when @SweeperDee tried to convince me Everything Now was good.

I've gone back and forth on Arcade Fire's new album. It's probably closest to Neon Bible but a bit below that (I quite liked NB). The End of Empire sequence of songs is risibly bad but the rest of it is a worthwhile listen.

AF are the one band that I still really want to see play live for the first time, but I draw a line at those Hydro prices (and fees(. It's just gouging. If they're back on the festival trail next year then I'll prioritise one of those instead. 

On 10/05/2022 at 08:46, Christophe said:

Sorry, yeah the whole album. That's unfair probably, i mean it's not actively bad... Just think it's boring/just not a development of anything else they've done.

I was listening to it wondering how they mustered the enthusiasm to work on it, lyrically all the preoccupations seem exactly the same as ever l, I just imagine the ones who don't write the songs rolling their eyes in the rehearsal room and counting down to getting their paycheck.

Their development albums were utter garbage - they were due getting back on their box. Agree that the lyrics are uninspired though. 

Edited by vikingTON

Their development albums were utter garbage - they were due getting back on their box. Agree that the lyrics are uninspired though. 

End of Empire I-III is particularly bad; IV is passable, imo.

There’s a bit in I-III that sounds like Imagine by John Lennon; made me audible sigh the first time I heard it.

The rest of the album is good enough; agree about the comparison to Neon Bible; it’s clearly them trying to recapture their early albums.

I reckon there’s at least 3-4 songs on it that will sound good live, so I’m looking forward to that.

I've been listening to the new King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard album Omnium Gatherum on repeat these past couple of weeks and once again I've had my mind blown by a release of theirs. If there was one band in the world that I would love to see live that I haven't had the chance to yet, it would be them. This is their 20th album in less than 10 years, covering a multitude of genres ranging from psychedelic rock to heavy metal to hip hop to jazz to Turkish inspired microtonal music. A truly remarkable band.

The Aussies are leading the way in terms of guitar based music these days imo. 

Edited by BornOffside

On 25/05/2022 at 10:14, BornOffside said:

I've been listening to the new King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard album Omnium Gatherum on repeat these past couple of weeks and once again I've had my mind blown by a release of theirs. If there was one band in the world that I would love to see live that I haven't had the chance to yet, it would be them. This is their 20th album in less than 10 years, covering a multitude of genres ranging from psychedelic rock to heavy metal to hip hop to jazz to Turkish inspired microtonal music. A truly remarkable band.

They're interesting and I very much like and respect what they're doing - the microtonal albums, especially. But I find the actual results quite patchy. The new album is a case in point - I absolutely love that 18 minute opening track, and have listened to it loads, but after that there wasn't a lot that grabbed me. I should give it another go, probably.

Lots of great music coming out of Aus these days, yeah.

7 hours ago, Yoss said:

They're interesting and I very much like and respect what they're doing - the microtonal albums, especially. But I find the actual results quite patchy. The new album is a case in point - I absolutely love that 18 minute opening track, and have listened to it loads, but after that there wasn't a lot that grabbed me. I should give it another go, probably.

Lots of great music coming out of Aus these days, yeah.

I often find their opening track or two to be the strongest point of each record, they certainly do like to come out firing all cylinders. As you said not every tune in this album resonates but when you cover so many genres (there are multiple on Onmium Gatherum alone) that is bound to happen. This vast spectrum of music across their entire discography has resulted in each Gizz fan having a different collection of favourite tunes to the next, opposed to them having a standard go-to greatest hits list that other successful bands have. Going on Spotify and listening to the top 5 tunes on their account wouldn't be the best way to appreciate Gizz, in my opinion. They are a throw back to a time when people actually had the patience to listen to an album from start to finish and appreciate it for what it is, which I think is somewhat lost on a lot of the younger generations these days. 

The latest Ghost album, Impera, is my favourite of the year so far. I like metal, 80s, cheese, riffs, and gimmicks, so this is right up my street. They've kicked the faux-satanic stuff and are now more of a Abba, and deff lepard hybrid, which is totally fine by me.

I have the belle and Sebastian one sitting as well, I might give that a go today.

I want to give them a go. Is this a good album to start with?

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:
On 25/05/2022 at 10:14, BornOffside said:

I want to give them a go. Is this a good album to start with?

This album covers quite a few different genres so without knowing your music taste I would say it is a pretty good place to start. It is also worth checking out their KEXP recorded live shows on YouTube to get a feel for the band and what they are about.

• 2 weeks later...

The debut album by Horsegirl, "Versions Of Modern Performance" came out this week. Very much wears its early 90's influences on its sleeves - Sonic Youth, Breeders, Yo La Tengo. Initially, I was pretty disappointed by it. I still don't think there is a song on it as good as "Sea Life Sandwich Boy" from the first single and my favourite song on it is second single "Billy", but it is a grower. Enjoying it more with each listen but it is perhaps a stepping stone to something better rather than the AOTY contender I had hoped for. 7/10, maybe 8 in a few months. 

On 07/06/2022 at 11:12, Jimi Shandrix said:

The debut album by Horsegirl, "Versions Of Modern Performance" came out this week. Very much wears its early 90's influences on its sleeves - Sonic Youth, Breeders, Yo La Tengo. Initially, I was pretty disappointed by it. I still don't think there is a song on it as good as "Sea Life Sandwich Boy" from the first single and my favourite song on it is second single "Billy", but it is a grower. Enjoying it more with each listen but it is perhaps a stepping stone to something better rather than the AOTY contender I had hoped for. 7/10, maybe 8 in a few months. 

Maybe I need to listen to it a bit more to see if it is a grower but not enjoying the few listens that I have so far. 

On 07/06/2022 at 11:12, Jimi Shandrix said:

I was disappointed when I saw them live, and the album isn’t really doing much for me, either.   I think there’s obvious potential there, but they  do need some stronger songs.   I can see people really raving about this one, but for me, it’s inconsistent.  

On 27/05/2022 at 16:40, rowsdower said:

The latest Ghost album, Impera, is my favourite of the year so far. I like metal, 80s, cheese, riffs, and gimmicks, so this is right up my street. They've kicked the faux-satanic stuff and are now more of a Abba, and deff lepard hybrid, which is totally fine by me.

I have the belle and Sebastian one sitting as well, I might give that a go today.

Don’t.  It’s absolutely horrible.

On 23/05/2022 at 22:12, Paul Kersey said:

Sinead O'Brien's debut album is out in June. The tracks that I've heard so far are interesting...

It doesn't disappoint. A very good, unique and original album.

• 2 weeks later...