Albums of 2022

NotThePars

23 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

For me, one of the years most eagerly anticipated albums is "Versions Of Modern Performance" by Horsegirl out on Matador at the start of June. It's so funny that these kids are so obviously in thrall to the early 90's in the same way that in the early 90's I, and many others, were obsessed with anything from 1967. What goes around comes back around. 

They are on my must-see list for SxSW next week.

On 23/02/2022 at 23:06, Jimi Shandrix said:

Now for the controversy. After being near damn obsessed with the first album, I have to say it's a no from me for the new Black Country New Road album. For me, only "Bread Song" and "Basketball Shoes" would make the first record. Looking forward to new ones by Keeley Forsyth and Huerco S.

On 01/03/2022 at 03:30, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I'm really enjoying it, different from the first record and not so much as in your face, loving concorde, good will hunting and especially The place where he inserted the blade that along with snow globes reminds me of Roger Waters Final Cut for some reason.

On 01/03/2022 at 11:32, paranoid android said:

I just don't get Black Country New Road at all - they just seem like a bunch of nice posh English students on their gap year - I keep seeing them listed in polls way above their mates Black Midi who are in a different league entirely, imo.

Guid to see you posting, Jimi. 

To begin with I probably thought Black Midi were better, but I've maybe come round to BCNR now. Mostly I'm just delighted we have both of them doing their thing, and if the results are sometimes hit and miss then that's the nature of being experimental, and long may it continue.

As far as the new BCNR goes, I've listened to the last three tracks quite a lot, and the rest of the album much less, although Concorde is also a good song.

On 10/03/2022 at 04:38, Jimi Shandrix said:

For me, one of the years most eagerly anticipated albums is "Versions Of Modern Performance" by Horsegirl out on Matador at the start of June. It's so funny that these kids are so obviously in thrall to the early 90's in the same way that in the early 90's I, and many others, were obsessed with anything from 1967. What goes around comes back around. 

They are an absolute snooze live.   Comfortably the most disappointing of the 33 shows I’ve seen over the last three days. 

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Ah. Oh well. Who stood out this year?

Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires, Hamish Hawk, Gallus, Kiwi Jr , Teenage Halloween, Midlake, Dmitri, The Chameleons (yes, those ones), Scrounge, and Constant Follower have all been terrific.  

Another three days of this though.  Plenty more to see.  Looking forward to Moor Mother in an hour. Aeon Station later on too.

Seemingly, a guy called Jamie Webster is sabotaging his career with petulant rock n roll behaviour and arguing with audiences about his tortured art.  Car crash stuff.

Edited by Savage Henry

Arcade Fire's new album "WE" is out May 6th. 

Looking forward to it; could be a tremendous return to form after a bit of a lacklustre release in "Everything Now" (although I do love that album).

Very Springsteen-esque in the first song "Lightning I". Lighting II steals the show for me though.

Album will be comprised of 10 songs, halfed into different "sides" so to speak; 40 minutes long exactly:

"isolation and anxiety is emphasized on side one and a sense of community is reached on side two"

Has contributions from Peter Gabriel, and wholey produced by Nigel Godrich. 

Pitchfork (I know) Review: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/arcade-fire-the-lightning-i-ii/

Edited by SweeperDee

On 18/03/2022 at 09:51, Internet Citizen said:

It sounds a lot more like The Suburbs than the last two albums, which isn’t a bad thing at all.

I thought Everything Now was a bit of a misstep, although the tour was probably the best I’d heard them, so I’m hoping this is them back on form, album-wise.

Everything Now was marginally better as an overall album than Reflektor IMO. I felt that both were missteps, but that's albums 4 and 5 for pretty much any established band for you. 

Agree about The Suburbs feel to Lightning II. Lightning I started okay but turned into nothing much on a first (usually harsh judgment) listen.

Regardless of how the album as a whole pans out, the main thing is that they should be touring again in the near future which will be glorious to behold. 

Everything Now was marginally better as an overall album than Reflektor IMO.

Considering Reflektor has arguably AF’s best run of songs; (out of all their albums) HCTNT2 through to Afterlife, and with a much tighter concept in place than Everything Now (Capitalism and instantaneous information is bad, duh), I fail to see how you could see EN as a more accomplished album than Reflektor? Barring some cracking singles, there was some downright bizarre choices for EN.

The touring for EN was phenomenal right enough, with the best tracks from that album going into the set lists perfectly, but better than Reflektor? Nah.

ETA:

This recording of “Age of Anxiety II (Rabbit Hole)” has me hoping it’ll be the next and final single release. New Order-Esque.

On 16/03/2022 at 16:21, Yoss said:

To begin with I probably thought Black Midi were better, but I've maybe come round to BCNR now. Mostly I'm just delighted we have both of them doing their thing, and if the results are sometimes hit and miss then that's the nature of being experimental, and long may it continue.

As far as the new BCNR goes, I've listened to the last three tracks quite a lot, and the rest of the album much less, although Concorde is also a good song.

I haven't been paying close enough attention. Apparently the singer/guitarist/primary songwriter Isaac Wood left the band permanently the week the second album was released. The other 6 are carrying on but you'd have to think that they are going to be a very different band from now on. I still haven't come round to "Ants" but by f**k, "For The First Time" is still a cracking debut album.

12 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I haven't been paying close enough attention. Apparently the singer/guitarist/primary songwriter Isaac Wood left the band permanently the week the second album was released. The other 6 are carrying on but you'd have to think that they are going to be a very different band from now on. I still haven't come round to "Ants" but by f**k, "For The First Time" is still a cracking debut album.

Yeah they're carrying on I think with May (the keyboard player) as lead vocalist. (I really like Georgia's voice too, in her Jockstrap guise, but I guess singing and playing violin at the same time isn't so easy.) And they won't be doing any of the Isaac-led material.

So they cancelled their tour but interestingly are still playing Green Man. Which I'm going to this year so I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out.

"For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)" by Huerco S, released in 2016, was one of my favourite albums of the decade as well as being a modern ambient touchstone. Having said that he was retiring from music to tinker with cars in the desert, it came as a very pleasant surprise to hear that there was a new one on the way. The waiting is over and "Plonk" is here and a very different beast it is. He seems to have been listening to Warp's greatest hits as there is more than a hint of Autechre, AFX and even a bit of Plone going on with only the final track harking back to its mighty predecessor. It took a few spins but it's a grower save for a fucking awful vocal track near the end featuring the "skills" of SIR E.U. (me neither). 

On 15/03/2022 at 23:29, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Gang of Youths album probably my favourite so far from this year.

Just listened to it for the first time this week. Cracking album and worth the 5 year wait since Go Farther in Lightness.

On 02/04/2022 at 09:55, Yoss said:

Yeah they're carrying on I think with May (the keyboard player) as lead vocalist. (I really like Georgia's voice too, in her Jockstrap guise, but I guess singing and playing violin at the same time isn't so easy.) And they won't be doing any of the Isaac-led material.

So they cancelled their tour but interestingly are still playing Green Man. Which I'm going to this year so I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out.

And indeed just added some earlier dates including one next month at King Tut's. They'll not be playing anything from their two albums.